Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Allegro power to weight question

I'm trying to get information about the 36LA Allegro. I have not been able to see one yet in person since they are "on order" and not yet in at the dealers I have contacted.
The question I have is in regard to the power available for the size. Currently we have an Allegro 30DA on the W-20 chassis with the 8.1. It has done well for us but is also the shortest/lightest of the line on the W-20.
The 36LA, on the other hand, has the Ford chassis with the 6.8L V10 and is at the large end for that setup.
The 35QBA is probably comparable in weight. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with this? I feel like this is on the border of needing the extra power/torque of a diesel for any real mountain driving.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 03:48 AM   #2

I don't know the answer from personal experience with these rigs, but I will tell you how I would figure it out.

The first thing would be to gather all the weight ratings from the stickers on the rigs. GVWR, GCVWR (if you tow). Second, I'd figure out the actual weight that you plan to haul in each rig. This will tell you the "allowable luggage weight", or how much weight you will be able to put in the coach. On some coaches, this number is surprisingly low, and people get surprised. Then I'd look at the HP and Torque at about 2000 rpm (which is average running RPM for my rig). This will give you an idea of number of pounds of load per HP. Not super scientific, but ballpark to tell you if there will be a big performance change from your rig.

Then there is the transmission. If you get a fancy Allison with 5 or 6 speeds and auto downshift when you touch the brakes, that might give you better performance than just the average three-speed or three-speed with overdrive combination.

Diesels are a bit of a different animal. The engines are bigger and heavier, and more reliable than most gassers. The fuel also is getting to cost more. If you are going to be driving a lot of miles, you may save enough on maintenance and repairs to make it worthwhile. If you are going to leave it parked most of the time, you might be able to get by with a gas unit.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think for the size there shouldn't be a problem.
The other major Mfg's make them even larger than the 36LA and I've never heard anyone complain about the ability of the engine versus the weight.
You might try asking the same question on one of their forums. Fleetwood or Winnebago and see what the consensus is.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ELF, I think you will notice a lack of power compared to your current rig. That said it should perform ok.

Mike
Old 02-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #5

We have a 2009 Allegro Bay 37 QSB with the Ford V10. We have about 14,000 miles on it and have been pleased with the power. I installed the 5star system on the engine ECM at 10,000 miles and it made a big improvement on the engine performance!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

The current Ford V-10 has more HP and torque than the last 8.1 Workhorse V-8.
wazone3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazone3 View Post
The current Ford V-10 has more HP and torque than the last 8.1 Workhorse V-8.
But at a higher RPM and some people don't like to run an engine at that RPM. even though it's built for it.
Our diesel is limited to 2200 RPM, that's well over 90 mph if I want to push it. It all in what you want.
Most RV's built today have sufficient HP and torque for what they are built for.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
But at a higher RPM and some people don't like to run an engine at that RPM. even though it's built for it.
Our diesel is limited to 2200 RPM, that's well over 90 mph if I want to push it. It all in what you want.
Most RV's built today have sufficient HP and torque for what they are built for.
Thanks. I was just a bit concerned about going from the light end of the scale vs power to the heavy end. I now need to make sure that there is enough available cargo weight capability to not put it over the top.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
Thanks. I was just a bit concerned about going from the light end of the scale vs power to the heavy end. I now need to make sure that there is enough available cargo weight capability to not put it over the top.
Hi, Elf. Just curious since it's a few months later what you decided about the 36LA. My dealer had one in stock and I looked at at and loved, loved, loved the floor plan. May consider upsizing in a year or so and this is definitely one of my fav floor plans, but since I didn't test drive it, not sure how it handles compared to our 32CA. It sold quickly, too!!
Swansonia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, weight