Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #1

Allegro RED steering stabilizers

My RED 33AA has a bad sway problem. Have a Safe T steer stabilizer. Helped some but it is hard to keep it on the road in the wind or on uneven roads. Sway bars/new shocks/alignment/bushings?
denchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Have you checked your tire pressure. Usually over inflated ( for your weight) front tires will give you lots of road "wandering". Made a big difference for us and now run 100PSI on the fronts (down from 110).
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:13 PM   #3

Before I added the safe t plus steering control to my 33 AA I had problems with swaying and catching grooves in the road. The steering control changed all of it significantly. I did go to the cat scales and weigh the front and rear partially loaded. Not completely loaded like going on a trip. Full fuel, some water and stuff in the basement storage. The Michelin chart for the tires I have said 70 pounds in the front and eighty pounds in the rear. I added 10 pounds to each just to be safe. I think tire pressure makes a difference worth checking based upon actual weight and the tire chart.
mr builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:38 AM   #4

We had similar steering problems on our 2014 34 QFA, until we had it aligned. Now it drives very nicely. No steering problems now.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:54 AM   #5

Kono springs and safety steer was what did the trick for us. Also make sure your rear sway bar is adjusted properly.
Concord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #6

RED Sway

Our 33aa wandered and swayed. I was out in Red Bay at the local diesel place and asked them to check the tire pressures, please, as they were doing other things.

He asked for a weight sheet (had a recent one) and asked a few questions about how we load and travel. He then circled the right pressures on a sheet and handed it to me, and proceeded to LOWER the pressures to just over what the sheet said for us, giving us a bit of cushion.

I was skeptical, but thought, "heck, let's try it". What do you know? Sway gone, less free play feeling, better ride! I've gone almost 5K miles since then and it is riding and tracking MUCH better.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by denchiro View Post
My RED 33AA has a bad sway problem. Have a Safe T steer stabilizer. Helped some but it is hard to keep it on the road in the wind or on uneven roads. Sway bars/new shocks/alignment/bushings?
On my red I added the safe t steer and new Bell crank. My tire pressure is 90 psi all around. It does drive better but I would like to improve it. My next change is new shocks.
rvingchub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:44 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2016 Tiffin Red 37PA. I had motion control valves installed as soon as I took delivery. The completely eliminated leaning will making turns, rolling from side to side while exiting driveways, and the effects of wind and passing big rigs. I also has Safetsteer installed. I run 95 lbs of air in the tires. See below from Motorhome Magazine. Henderson makes the valves.

Motion Control Units

Motion Control Units (MCU's) are excellent at reducing sway, porpoising and body roll on air suspension equipped coaches. They reduce rock and rolling sensation in RV's and improve air spring compression and rebound characteristics for a smoother, more predictable ride. Ideal for Class A motorhomes and even pickups if they have add on airbags with a compressor or a single fill line.

Steve
Sjg1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:03 AM   #9

New shocks!!!

Just put new Bilstein shocks on front and rear of 2014 Allegro RED 33AA. HUGE difference!! Mechanic said front shocks were worn out. 38K miles. Checked sway bars and all linkage - all looked good. Before coach was wandering all over the road with unlevel road, wing passing trucks etc. Then had front end aligned and everything looked good there.
Now much more stable and does not wear me out driving.

If you are having problems keeping your coach on the road highly recommend new shocks if you have very many miles.
denchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:45 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I would second the recommendation to check tire pressures. When we picked up our new unit, we drove it a few hundred miles, and I was so worried! It almost skittered on the road. Turns out the tire pressures were at 120-130 pounds in the front instead of the 110 pounds for a fully loaded unit! We lowered the pressures to max recommended until we could get it loaded appropriately and weighed. We then adjusted the tire pressure appropriately. A much better ride! We recently added a Safe-T-Steer, and that has also helped. However a shorter coach will always be more prone to steering issues than something longer.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:27 PM   #11

+1 on the tire pressure being critical. Easy to get weighed and find out what you should be running off the Michelin chart. Sticker on our coach door said 100 or 110 and coach handled terribly. Lowered the PSI to 85 Fr and 90 rear and it was like a new drive. Safe T Steer helped even more and coach drives and tracks well.
nowalnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #12

I realize this is an old thread, however, I have a question regarding the stabilizer valves as well as SafeTsteer.

From what I can find online, the valves are sold in pairs which amounts to around $100 a corner. They may well be worth the money but I'm uncertain whether to use four or just install in the rear. The SafeTsteer, well, that is another story. Awhile back I was researching between that brand and another manufacturer, however, seems they no longer show up with an internet search. What I do find is Safe T Plus. I'm wondering whether that is the same outfit.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #13

Safe T Plus is what we have on our RED. Works great.

Last trip to RB, we had Bay Diesel add Konis and a Roadmaster rear sway bar. Great improvement in handling.
Money Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:37 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Use 4 valves. You will be shocked at the difference. The virtually eliminate sway. No more rocking back and forth out of driveways. No more sway from passing trucks. Wind will not affect you as much.

Safety Plus is sold on Amazon, as well as other RV vendors.

Safe travels

Steve
Sjg1277 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, steering