Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Allegro RED Test and Review

I recently attended the open house at King's Campers in Wausau, WI. While there I met with Bob Tiffin and also did a photo shoot, review, and test drive on a new Allegro RED.

The "RED" is a new venture by TiffinMotorhomes. It's a Rear Engine Diesel (hence the name "RED" ) in the Allegro line, which is normally a front engine entry level coach. The Allegro was a popular seller in both the gasoline (Ford or Workhorse) chassis as well as the FRED (FRont Engine Diesel) chassis. However, there is quite a gap in price between the Allegro FRED and a Phaeton. The Phaeton is America's number one selling diesel pusher (the Allegro Bus moved up to the number two slot this year) and is an awesome coach. While the Phaeton is an awesome value, it's not within everyone's budget.

The new Allegro RED provides a rear engine diesel coach with full air ride suspension and air brakes, and a peppy 340 HP Cummins ISB diesel engine. At a typical sticker price of $185K that puts this coach's end user purchase price into the $140K range.

I've posted complete pictures, specs, and review text on my website at http://www.rvcruzer.com/2009_36QSA.htm for anyone who is interested in reading about this coach. In addition to this 36' model, I've also attached a link inthat review for a floorplan of the soon to be released 38' bunk bed model of the RED.

This unit really is impressive in that it puts a really well featured diesel pusher into a previously unreacheable price range. It received a lot of attention at the open house.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mark,
Thanks for your as usual outstanding write up.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #3

Mark were you able to ask Bob about a shorter version (27'-30') of the RED?
Ed & Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ask me that question again in 90 days.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:30 AM   #5
paz

Mark, thanks for the excellent write-up and photos. We saw an Allegro RED at the Tampa RV show, and it was creating quite a stir. Although I would really like to have a Phaeton some day, they are out of our price range. If I were in the market for a new coach today, it would likely be an Allegro RED.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:08 AM   #6

Well, I have been looking for 2 years so I guess I can wait another 90 days. It is going to drive me crazy though. Thanks Mark.
Ed & Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #7

Thanks Mark for the always great info. Although I have my sights set on a Phaeton its nice to have something to fall back on. I do feel it was a very wise decision on Tiffins part to build this coach at this price point.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #8

...but NO king-size bed in either one of them. Not even as an option. Why, oh why, do the manufacturers seem to think that we're all designed to Oriental anthropometrics?????

Bob Tiffin, are you listening??? If you start offering king-size beds in your Allegro/Allegro Bay products (think 35' - 38' here) you will have the IMMEDIATE attention of me and my checkbook!!
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:51 AM   #9
paz

The Allegro RED is written up in the latest issue of "Roughing It Smoothly" magazine. I see they also started offering a 38' floorplan starting April 1.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nice job, Mark. I've posted links to your site elsewhere too.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice Job

Very good write up Mark and it looksto be a superior coach. Now I know that for many this may seem like a mundane (if you have to ask) type of question, but what sort of MPG could one expect to get on a coach like this?
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

It's a new coach so unfortunately there isn't very much "real world" feedback from owners as of yet. However, it will be between your typical 8 MPG diesel pusher and an 11 MPG FRED. Bob Tiffin told me that 9 MPG was always a safe bet but that they had reports of up to 10.5 MPG. What conditions those were under, nobody knows so you wouldn't want to count on anything like that. I have no problem believing 9 MPG though. The ISB has always been a fairly conservative engine as far as fuel economy goes. The times I've seen them "not" get good mileage was when they didn't have enough gears or were pushing too much weight. These were alaso the 5.9 liter ISBs. The RED has a 6.7 liter ISB with more torque than the previous 5.0 liter version, a six speed Allison, and is not overly weighed down. It drives quite snappily with minimal throttle which means the engine isn't working that hard - which is always a huge factor in fuel economy.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I've just gotten a copy of the 4/15/09 Allegro RED price list, which also shows the 38QBA bunk bed model. I've posted it on my website at http://www.rvcruzer.com/pricing.htm if anyone is interested.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:20 PM   #14

I am a new owner of a 34' Tiffin Allegro RED with 26k miles. I checked my milage and after an additional 700 miles I am getting about 9 mi/gal. I have been told to run the generator while underway to power the house A/C and it will save me mile/gallon. Is this true or should I be using the dash A/C? I had all filters oil and fluids changed when I bought the coach so I'd like to do things right. I just retired and am new at this. As always, all help and advice is appreciated.
bobcratchett is offline   Reply With Quote