Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #1

Another Hitch recall

I just received an Interim notice of another recall on the hitch for 2013-2018 Allegro Open Roads. This is in addition to the previous recall 0f March 2017 which replaced the hitch bolts. Basically it states that Tiffin has decided that the steel on the hitch attachment needs to be reinforced to strengthen the hitch attachment to the frame rail. Tiffin has designed a steel insert that goes around the existing gussets adding strength to the frame rails. This was the first notice. After Tiffin validates the repair a second notice will be sent after validation and parts are available. In the meantime owners asked to make sure that the hitch is securely attached to the frame rail. If it appears to be pulling away do not use the hitch.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2018, 02:05 PM   #2

We just ordered a new 2019 Allegro Open Road. Do you suppose this change will be made in advance on the 2019's? I hope so.
whciv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just called Tiffin about the hitch detachment recall (NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V200000) to see if our coach is affected. The service person who looked it up said it was but as of this morning they are halting all work on this recall until an alternate remedy is engineered.
oldSarge98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:13 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Brilliant
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #5

Got our notice

Basically says they are working on a fix and that we should not use the hitch if it started coming loose from the frame rails.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
First I have heard of this recall. Glad I am now towing a Cherokee Trailhawk instead of the heavier Grand Cherokee I was towing. Now need to check the hitch after a 2900 mile cross country trip to SoCal.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Some people seem just a little upset about the latest hitch recall. Let me tell from first hand experience about hitch failure. I was coming home from a great weekend in the woods when I heard a grinding sound. Stopped checked every thing in the front where it sounded like it was coming from, saw nothing. Decided to go right to the dealer since I thought it was breaks. Literally less then a quarter mile from the dealer it stopped. The pickup next to just as I pulled up to make a U-turn back to the dealer was screaming my toad FELL OFF! The entire receiver for the tow bar, tow bar and CAR were GONE. God was with me. The car drifted across US 202, a 4 lane divided highway, to a safe resting spot. NO DAMAGE TO THE CAR, but the tow bar was destroyed.

Needless to say HITCH maintenance and inspection are as high on my list as tire pressure.

THANKS TIFFIN FOR LOOKING OUT FOR US!
tjvogtiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjvogtiii View Post
Some people seem just a little upset about the latest hitch recall. Let me tell from first hand experience about hitch failure. I was coming home from a great weekend in the woods when I heard a grinding sound. Stopped checked every thing in the front where it sounded like it was coming from, saw nothing. Decided to go right to the dealer since I thought it was breaks. Literally less then a quarter mile from the dealer it stopped. The pickup next to just as I pulled up to make a U-turn back to the dealer was screaming my toad FELL OFF! The entire receiver for the tow bar, tow bar and CAR were GONE. God was with me. The car drifted across US 202, a 4 lane divided highway, to a safe resting spot. NO DAMAGE TO THE CAR, but the tow bar was destroyed.

Needless to say HITCH maintenance and inspection are as high on my list as tire pressure.

THANKS TIFFIN FOR LOOKING OUT FOR US!

Now this sounds scary!! We just ordered a 2019 and I'm concerned it will come with this major safety flaw still not fixed.
whciv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:20 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm sure it will be upgraded. They stand behind all their coaches. and in front lol
tjvogtiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:48 AM   #10

Yeah I have heard they won't deliver any new coaches without the fix, so your 2019 could get delayed, but it won't have this issue.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #11

After the first recall, I ordered the bolts from Tiffin and they sent them promptly. I then inspected the existing bolts which looked identical to the replacements, so I decided to leave it alone. I've since towed a car for maybe 4000 miles and inspected the hitch again. It looks secure. Hope this isn't one of those Chicken Little things.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:35 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Whether you are towing a car or a trailer, you should have braking on it with a functioning break-away system. A trailer with electric brakes needs a charged battery and a car needs a working air or electric supply. It is very rare to see a secondary connection between hitch assembly and frame. I might try wrapping a cable or chain around the hitch and the frame on both sides. I checked my 2018 36LA and it looked very secure. Three large bolts on each side attach the drop plates to the frame and they were boxed and gusseted. The hitch end plates were welded to the drop box. Some gussets there might be in order.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #13

Until a fix is found by Tiffin, am i only looking for the bolts to loosen from the hitch to the frame?
Happy Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
After the first recall, I ordered the bolts from Tiffin and they sent them promptly. I then inspected the existing bolts which looked identical to the replacements, so I decided to leave it alone. I've since towed a car for maybe 4000 miles and inspected the hitch again. It looks secure. Hope this isn't one of those Chicken Little things.
Your bolts may have been replaced with the new ones at the factory. You might want to revisit the mounting bolt issue to make sure. The original bolts were 1/2" diameter. The replacement bolts are 3/4" diameter and grade 8. That is a huge difference in the bolts strength. Mine looked the same until I saw one of them removed. The original flat washers hide the size of the original bolts.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall