RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #1

Anybody install a class 5 hitch,, on the front?

May be thinking it would be a good place for a bike rack, or the home for the Honda 7000. Or a hitch could be put in if the rig ever needed to be pulled after getting stuck. Just don't see any good hard point to grab onto the rig without causing damage.

Just the receiver itself sticking through the front bumper.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2017, 01:20 AM   #2

Couple of points:

1. That would be a really ugly motor home riding down the road with bikes or a generator sticking out the front.
2. Bike racks can be added to a rear two-way hitch, depending on the manufacturer of the hitch.
3. Why do you feel the need to add a Honda generator to a Class A motor home when it already comes with one?
4. I'm sure that mounting anything in front of the Ford chassis would really mess up the cooling system.
5. I don't think any hitch could be relied upon to pull a 12-15 ton motor home out of any trouble.

DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:43 AM   #3

Custom made one for my coach . It is mounted to the frame . I use it for launching the boat . Wouldn't want to use it for carrying anything.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post
Couple of points:

1. That would be a really ugly motor home riding down the road with bikes or a generator sticking out the front.
2. Bike racks can be added to a rear two-way hitch, depending on the manufacturer of the hitch.
3. Why do you feel the need to add a Honda generator to a Class A motor home when it already comes with one?
4. I'm sure that mounting anything in front of the Ford chassis would really mess up the cooling system.
5. I don't think any hitch could be relied upon to pull a 12-15 ton motor home out of any trouble.

1- A 7000 Honda out front would be ugly? When it is nice and cool inside with twins running, it is not that ugly, @ 59 DB.
2 -Bike rack is on the rear of the toad.
3 - Because Onan gas gennys fail past 98 degrees, (look at hot summer posts)
4 - Not if you know where the air needs to go, also weight distribution determined by scale.
5 - 10K would be all that is needed to pull out, any more and there is no point, the axles start to rip off the rig. But that entails that you trust the tow truck driver not to destroy your rig. I will give him a 10k hard point if he tows it straight, no side line pulls.

That is a good question for Blue Ox, can an Aventa 10k Blue Ox be used in reverse to pull a rig out? I know they say you can never back up, but can you pull the rig in reverse? In my case the toad is an E450.

Giving the Tiffin a 10k hard point front & back, gives it recreational opportunities. Then doubles as a 10K hard point in times of need. Makes it redundant, just like the big hooks on the front of nearly any pickup truck. Then the original class 5 hitch in the back. Won't be long before they make front match rear on the hitch.

Less parts,, more efficient. Not proprietary.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
1- A 7000 Honda out front would be ugly? When it is nice and cool inside with twins running, it is not that ugly, @ 59 DB.
2 -Bike rack is on the rear of the toad.
3 - Because Onan gas gennys fail past 98 degrees, (look at hot summer posts)
4 - Not if you know where the air needs to go, also weight distribution determined by scale.
5 - 10K would be all that is needed to pull out, any more and there is no point, the axles start to rip off the rig. But that entails that you trust the tow truck driver not to destroy your rig. I will give him a 10k hard point if he tows it straight, no side line pulls.

That is a good question for Blue Ox, can an Aventa 10k Blue Ox be used in reverse to pull a rig out? I know they say you can never back up, but can you pull the rig in reverse? In my case the toad is an E450.

Giving the Tiffin a 10k hard point front & back, gives it recreational opportunities. Then doubles as a 10K hard point in times of need. Makes it redundant, just like the big hooks on the front of nearly any pickup truck. Then the original class 5 hitch in the back. Won't be long before they make front match rear on the hitch.

Less parts,, more efficient. Not proprietary.

1. Anything sticking out front is ugly.
2. Then you don't need it as an option for bikes, now do you?
3. It is the rare Onan that fails for temp reasons, and usually because it isn't maintained properly.
4. Don't call us when you're sitting on the side of the mountain with an overheat. As far as weight, you do know that many of these units are built with limited capacity, right? Why would you add something completely unnecessary to the motor home, forcing you to shift storage further back to avoid an overweight situation?
5. Good luck with that tow truck driver.

Bottom line, Tiffin is doing a pretty good job covering "recreational opportunities " and doing it with style and functionality. They're not going to add anything like a front hard point for any reason - ever.

If you're so enamored with that Honda, throw it in the basement.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install