Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 08:42 AM   #15

[QUOTE=dennish2024;4583066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMaxPayne View Post

The Batteries+ that came with it are junk.

I have a 2019 Wayfarer built in June 2018 (not ordered) it has the Duracell deep cycle batteries. I now have to go over every other day to storage and check on them. I can have them topped off at 100%, the next day it's down to 90% and so on. I have turned of the battery switch by the door and even have switched off the 30A breaker no difference. I thought Duracell batteries would be better. I certainly don't feel comfortable doing any dry camping this spring.
More than likely you have some draws on the batteries. You might try a test, fully charge the batteries then disconect the ground. In a few days test with the volt meter. If still charged (most likely) then you will need to hunt down where the current is going.
Dave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #16

I'm seriously considering the Battle Born batteries but not sure what else I need to buy with them. My 2019 Wayfarer came from Tiffin with a solar panel installed. Do I need anything else or will it bolt up including charging system. as Mark said I will need a longer neg. cable. Not sure about a monitoring system if they are so good/reliable. My storage is about 3-4 minutes away, easy to get to.
dennish2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=dennish2024;4583066]
Quote:

The Batteries+ that came with it are junk.

I have a 2019 Wayfarer built in June 2018 (not ordered) it has the Duracell deep cycle batteries. I now have to go over every other day to storage and check on them. I can have them topped off at 100%, the next day it's down to 90% and so on. I have turned of the battery switch by the door and even have switched off the 30A breaker no difference. I thought Duracell batteries would be better. I certainly don't feel comfortable doing any dry camping this spring.

I have no experience with the Wayfarer so this suggestion may not apply, but on my Tiffin Phaeton the inverter is a big phantom draw. My 6 batteries only last days in storage. If I turn off the inverter it will last more than a month. And the battery disconnect doesn’t help because the inverter is wired directly to the batteries bypassing the master disconnect switch in the battery compartment.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennish2024 View Post
I'm seriously considering the Battle Born batteries but not sure what else I need to buy with them. My 2019 Wayfarer came from Tiffin with a solar panel installed. Do I need anything else or will it bolt up including charging system. as Mark said I will need a longer neg. cable. Not sure about a monitoring system if they are so good/reliable. My storage is about 3-4 minutes away, easy to get to.
The solar controller on my rig is a Zamp unit installed by the dealer (Tiffin was only doing "solar ready" or "wired for solar" back when my rig was being built). All I had to do was change the battery type setting to LiFePO4. I don't know what solar controller Tiffin installs now that they do full solar installs vs only run the wires. I'd break out the instructions for it. Also, if you call Battle Born and tell them the make and model of your solar controller I've heard they will tell you what's what about it and how to change the settings.

Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #19

Quote:
The solar controller on my rig is a Zamp unit installed by the dealer (Tiffin was only doing "solar ready" or "wired for solar" back when my rig was being built). All I had to do was change the battery type setting to LiFePO4. I don't know what solar controller Tiffin installs now that they do full solar installs vs only run the wires. I'd break out the instructions for it. Also, if you call Battle Born and tell them the make and model of your solar controller I've heard they will tell you what's what about it and how to change the settings.

Best,
-Mark
Fully agree.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:07 PM   #20

Tiffin installed the GP electric "Go Power" Solar controller in the Wayfarer.
dennish2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post
I did LifeBlue not battle born they appear to be very similar in specs, make me wonder if they don't share internals.

I charge mine about 95% of the time with solar using BlueSky charge controllers.

My research indicates that it is important to stop charging the batteries based upon current and voltage to avoid shortening the life due to overcharging. The BlueSky charge controllers can be setup with a current limit for acceptance. My A/C charger is a Magnum 2800 and it does not have this ability so I monitor it manual on the few occasions I use it to charge. Since this is always a generator run it isn't an inconvenience to keep an eye on things. The Magnum also starts up in float and sometimes the current isn't very high so I have to bump the float setting voltage up to save on generator time. Finally I have to set the Magnum to 90% charge rate because if I let it run wide open it will over heat even on cold days. Then it rolls back the current so I find it better to let it run at 90% which give me a stead 110A or so instead of trying to get the full 120A.

Here are some links to papers about LiFePO4 batteries that I found informative.

Marine lithium batteries in operation | Nordkyn Design

Lithium batteries fundamentals | Nordkyn Design
CruizerEd, are LifeBlue batteries able to be used for house battery or just engine batteries?
apocalypseb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:34 PM   #22

It is more important not to drain lithium batteries below 25 percent of their capacity, otherwise battery life will suffer to some degree.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
It is more important not to drain lithium batteries below 25 percent of their capacity, otherwise battery life will suffer to some degree.
https://battlebornbatteries.com/dept...cle-batteries/
Old 01-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #24

Only getting 25% more DOD over flooded batteries wouldn't make them worth it.

You can buy lots if flooded batteries and draw them down to 25% SOC.

Installing lithium batteries with almost 10 years of daily full cycles in them will probably benefit the next owner more then me.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Only getting 25% more DOD over flooded batteries wouldn't make them worth it.

You can buy lots if flooded batteries and draw them down to 25% SOC.

Installing lithium batteries with almost 10 years of daily full cycles in them will probably benefit the next owner more then me.
FYI: The 25% number quoted earlier was from a competitor. Battle Born has bpms built into the batteries and can be taken down 100% over and over again without damaging the battery or impacting charge cycles: https://battlebornbatteries.com/dept...cle-batteries/

To me one goes with whatever meets their individual needs.

Best,
-Mark
Old 01-23-2019, 07:26 PM   #26

I’m with you Mark!Click image for larger version

Name:	20190110_121816.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	232889
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:50 PM   #27

Mark, you will be happy, Battery monitor said I was down about 150 amp hours so lit off gen, and between the 120 amp charger and solar was up to 100% SOC in less than an hour. Try doing that with lead acid batteries.
Cory, very clean installation.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Mark, you will be happy.
Lol. Just glad others are seeing similar results as I am. I swear I have nothing to do with Battle Born, I paid full retail, etc. Just experiencing the upsides albeit at a high up front cost and sharing.

Speaking of sharing... This YouTube video popped up last night in my recommended feed. Interview with President of Battele Born and he talks about cycling their batteries down to 0% thousands of times. Also touches on why some others can't go below 20%-25% as somebody mentioned earlier in this thread.

Best,
-Mark

Tags
batteries, upgrade