Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #1

Anyone like the Breeze?

I've looked at the old and the new Breeze with cummins v8 and still don't see any reason to buy one. Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #2

I don't own one but its basically a 3/4 scale Class A diesel pusher. It's easier to drive, easier to park and presumably less expensive to drive, heat and cool. It appeals to the same people who like the tiny homes. I think it would also appeal to someone transitioning from a Class C or a small Class A who want a rear engine diesel but don't want the size that comes with a 36-45 ft coach. Newmar has their New Air that is similar in size so it appeals to a segment of buyers or they wouldn't be making them.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #3

We really like them! We think they are really nice looking too. The Breeze got us thinking about a class A originally because we wanted an RV that was under 30’.

Alas, for many reasons we found another brand that better fitted our needs.

We still look longingly at them in the campgrounds.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #4

Viewed a few this snow bird season, thought they were cute mini's. The only thing that concerned me was weight distribution to off-set the weight of the diesel. Move the two heaviest things right behind the front wheels. Generator driver side, water tank passenger side.

Water tank with 2 drains, one at bottom, one at equal weight of generator height, (drive height) of water tank.

Shift some weight forward.

One of the few Tiffins that could take a full size motorcycle lift on the front end. That would make it drive better, and offset toad weight. Or,, center the weight, front to back.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:28 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe...

Maybe... This isn't a valid reason, but when I was at the South Central FMCA rally last fall, there was one parked almost directly in front of me. It was like a "junior motorhome." I would watch as people came by, stopped and made motions showing how much shorter it was than the units on either side.

Just a thought...
Arkie_ENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #6

Had a 28 ft Breeze and the weight distribution was too light on the front. Got rid of it after 7 months. Perhaps the 32 ft balances out better. Traded to a 40 ft Phaeton and love it.
Trans. Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #7

My wife and I are happy with our 29.5 foot 2015 28BR. We would buy the same model again.
Of course we aren't full-timers which would change our needs.
Our Breeze drives properly and doesn't have steering issues. If the older models did suffer from such problems, I believe Tiffin resolved them prior to 2015.

We particularly like:
- Fits in our driveway.
- U-turn in any parking lot and on almost any road.
- At 22K pounds, weighs half as much as larger rigs.
- Gets 9 to 11 mpg depending on genny usage and other factors.
- Parallel parks on the street with just over 1.5 parking space lengths.
- No DEF.

We compromise on:
- Small bedroom (this problem is less in the newer 31, 32, and 33BR models).
- Limited storage.
- Relatively small inverter which powers only plugs for the 3 TVs and associated AV equipment.
- Only one bathroom with just a single bathroom sink - jk.
- Our 2015 has a pre-Cummins MaxForce V8 engine.

Until we start traveling for months at a time or staying in one campsite for weeks on end, I see us appreciating the compact size.
- David
dmanpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:17 PM   #8

The Maxforce 7 engine get bad reviews, in the Breeze it's 240 HP, any problems?
Old 03-16-2018, 11:49 PM   #9

Coffie Drink: Yes, bad reviews, but reportedly misplaced on our particular engine. We did have one serious problem, but fortunately it was fixed under warrantee at an International Truck center here in Los Angeles. Fuel Pump was leaking diesel into the oil and engine shutdown after doubling the quantity of oil. Required replacement of some sort of high-pressure fuel rail that might have cost us a large amount of money.
- David
Old 03-17-2018, 06:13 AM   #10

I like the idea of the Breeze, I just haven't found one that we could live with given our travels and / or even give it any real considerations given the price difference vs. a Tiffin gasser given all the shortcomings of the Breeze given our priorities.

The bathroom in the older Breeze models was a non starter; we are not large people, but the bathroom was way too small for us, and would be non starter #1 in the older models. This has been improved somewhat, at least in the new 33, and while it's certainly not large it's better, and I think I could live with the 33 bath if that was the only shortcoming.

If you are over 6' tall, it would be really claustrophobic inside. I'm just under 5-11, and the ceiling feels and is really low (by design). I could live with this.....

The fridge is way to small for our type of use as well; non starter.

In the new 33 we looked at yesterday here in Perry, my wife found one deal killer that trumps everything though - the waste can under the kitchen sink is "bathroom size". Non starter; my wife said this would be a total deal killer for her!)

Storage, well, it's really relative. Given the GVWR/GCWR there just isn't much CCC so you can't carry much anyway (my gasser has way more CCC and can even tow more). I don't know if we could off load enough to get under the GVWR / GCWRs in the Breeze; maybe if everything else was perfect.

And as opposed to popular opinion on forums; even the Red 37PA DP which we really like (if we felt we needed to spend a lot of money), doesn't have the CCC of our gasser either but at least the Red would tow 10k# if you need that calibility. Hum.......

The couple behind us here in Perry is in an '18 Breeze that they traded in a '17 34PA gasser (basically the same floor plan as the new Breeze 33, the Red 37PA, as well as Phaeton and Bus models) because "he" wanted something a bit lower given their desire to camp a lot at COA and state / national parks, and of course "he" wanted a DP "because". His wife HATES the breeze, hates it, particually the bedroom which she thinks is like a coffin; they were actually considering another new coach yesterday, but they couldn't justify it.

I get the ride / handling etc. that you'd get with the Breeze, but for the difference in money vs. a gasser, I couldn't justify it 3 years ago, or now, and after 3 years in our gasser traveling 25k miles and spending 5-6 months a year traveling, for up to 3 months at a time, I know we made the right decision for us.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #11

Betr2Tvl - I think the guy who was at Perry will be back in a Tiffin gasser, before fall or his wife won't be traveling with him. Dave
Old 07-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
I like the idea of the Breeze, I just haven't found one that we could live with given our travels and / or even give it any real considerations given the price difference vs. a Tiffin gasser given all the shortcomings of the Breeze given our priorities.

... based on: bathroom, refrigerator and kitchen trash can too small and ceiling too low. Wow, those are the primary considerations? Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I’m only commenting because some posts unfairly bad-mouth brands and models and I want to set the record straight on the Breeze.

We have the 2011 Breeze 28BR, purchased new 7 years ago, and we love it.

We traded down from a 2007 Allegro Bus 40QSP. The Bus was a good coach, but is more suited to full-timing. We enjoy moving and camping at State and National Parks, not RV “resorts,” and the 28’ lets us do that easily whereas the 40’ Bus precluded us from getting into the more natural campgrounds.

We have the earlier MaxxForce 7 - the one prior to the 2010 EPA requirements that seem to have caused issues in later models. I’ve had zero engine issues and we’re at 30,000+ miles and about to head to Alaska for a couple months. If you read the Breeze threads in this forum closely, you’ll discover that nearly all the mechanical issues discussed relate to the later MaxxForce 7 engine which, as I understand it, was the 2013, 2014 and 2015 models, after which Tiffin moved to Cummins.

We tow a 2-door Jeep Wrangler Sahara and have had no problems doing so, even in mountains. A few times on steep grades (15% once), I disconnected the Jeep and had my wife drive it until the grade leveled out, just to be safe. For the most part, I don’t even feel the Jeep back there.

The 2011 Breeze did not have an exhaust brake (our Bus had one, as does the Breeze starting with the 2013 model) and it would have been an improvement, but I haven’t found its absence to be a problem. I downshift early and never let momentum get away from me. Braking, by the way, is terrific.

The Breeze is not a hotrod. I get 9-10 mpg at 65 mph, towing my Jeep and with the generator running about half the time. It can be slow going up steep grades, but I end up passing most semis going uphill.

When I first took delivery in 2011 (I bought ours new), our Breeze drove horribly, but the problems were immediately identified and it drives fine now. The problem initially was threefold: 1) way out of alignment, front and back; 2) both rear rims were out of round and were replaced by Tiffin; and, 3) all four tires were over-inflated at 110 psi - I have since set all four tires at 80 psi and the ride is fine.

In anticipation of our upcoming trip to Alaska, I recently added the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and replaced the stock Bilstein shocks with Koni shocks, not because I felt that either of these modifications was necessary, but because I decided to do whatever I could to make the drive to Alaska safer and more comfortable. There is a noticeable positive difference to the ride as a result.

I’ve read some complaints claiming that the Breeze “porpoises” while driving. I have never experienced this, so I suspect it is a problem for the 32’ version, not the 28’. The short wheel base makes for a very tight turning radius that has come in handy on more than one occasion. Previously, my Breeze tended to wander slightly while driving, but no longer since I have installed the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer.

Regarding the interior, if you’re a big person, you might have trouble getting around the bed. In later models, Tiffin reoriented the bed 90° to make it more accessible. It hasn’t been an issue for us, however (we're both 62; I’m 6’0” and 180 lbs). The cabinetry, layout, and finish is every bit as good as our Allegro Bus was. And the air bag leveling is terrific. The 28 has only one slide, so we’re set up at our campsite within 15 minutes of arriving.

I have made a few modifications to our coach to make it more livable (we have spent as many as 4 consecutive months in it):
1) removed the middle TV that was above the dinette (if you need 3 TVs you should be in a stick house, not an RV);
2) replaced the kitchen sink with a deeper sink and new faucet (mod can be found in this forum);
3) added an extra shelf in the cabinet above the kitchen sink;
4) added rails around the bedroom valences for extra storage;
5) added a storage compartment above the drawers that are underneath the bed (mod can also be found in this forum), and,
6) added the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and Koni shocks.

My one complaint about the 2011 Breeze 28BR is the retracting entry step. I have had to replace it twice as a result of the clearance being too low.

One last point: you may come across a few negative comments about the Breeze 28 in this forum. If you read these criticisms closely, you will discover that these comments tend to come from people who have formed their opinions from things they’ve heard or read or preconceived notions of what a motorhome should or shouldn’t be, not from the actual experience of owning or driving the 28’ Breeze.

Certainly, the 28 Breeze is not for everyone and while it would be possible to full-time in one, I wouldn’t recommend it. But if you’re looking for a quality Class A diesel pusher that can go anywhere in comfort, the early Breeze 28 is as good as it gets.

I would not hesitate to buy the 2011 Breeze 28BR again.
markulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #13

@markulmer That was one of the most thoughtful and amazing responses I have seen on this forum. Thank you and I echo your sentiments.

I have a 2015 28BR and have very similar experiences to you; this motorhome is perfect for my wife and I and our occasional friend and family guests.

By 2015 I believe they may have fixed the driving issues that you had to solve with alignments, steering stabilizers, and replacement shocks, because we have not experienced any problems.

We have already been considering all of your interior modifications. I'd love to see some pictures of your shelving, storage, and valence railings if you would consider sending them to me personally on this site or to dmanpearl-at-gmail.

Also, regarding the Maxxforce 7 engine: I believe both of our chassis are built with the same 2010 OEM engines that pre-date both DEF and the complicated exhaust filtering mechanisms that doomed later Maxxforce engines and eventually sank the entire line and led to the Breeze change to Cummins in 2016 (heresy and rumors, so don't take any of this as fact).

I also have a Jeep (2000 Wrangler). I have not towed it yet, but just finished installing mounting brackets and bought a tow bar. I am planning on disabling the steering lock so I don't have to keep a key in the ignition and I don't plan to install a breaking system initially as we won't be towing the Jeep very far anytime soon. Do you have any advice or thoughts for towing the Jeep - I do realize that I won't be able to back-up while flat-towing, but I also have experience towing regular trailers.
- Best, David
Old 07-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanpearl View Post
We have already been considering all of your interior modifications. I'd love to see some pictures of your shelving, storage, and valence railings if you would consider sending them to me personally on this site.... I also have a Jeep (2000 Wrangler). I have not towed it yet, but just finished installing mounting brackets and bought a tow bar. I am planning on disabling the steering lock so I don't have to keep a key in the ignition and I don't plan to install a breaking system initially as we won't be towing the Jeep very far anytime soon. Do you have any advice or thoughts for towing the Jeep - I do realize that I won't be able to back-up while flat-towing, but I also have experience towing regular trailers.
David, I’ve attached photos of the modifications I mentioned: the removal of the TV and the wood covering I made to hide the wiring; the kitchen shelf (which is starting to sag; I will rebuild it with plywood); the under-the-bed storage over the drawers; the rails and additional storage over the valence; and, the new kitchen sink.

Regarding towing the Jeep, I use a RoadMaster tow bar. Instead of disconnecting the steering lock as you mentioned, I pull the main fuse (shown in the attached photo) and then turn the ignition key to unlock the steering wheel. Doing it this way keeps the battery from discharging. Also, on flats and hills, the Jeep will tow fine without a braking system; in mountains, if steep enough, I disconnect and my wife drives the Jeep down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0417759A-AF4C-4EE8-A572-09C0EB494480.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	209846   Click image for larger version

Name:	1CA04B9D-EACF-48CB-AE73-D1F89A42B6CB.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	209847  

Click image for larger version

Name:	65806548-6BA9-44A0-9718-44D1FDE4AD17.jpg