Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #15

I'm excited, and will wait until I can get a proven reliable used one that is 5-7 years old! Just happens to coincide closely to a projected retirement in 2028!
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2019, 05:34 PM   #16

Sometimes, when you are on the "bleeding" edge, the blood is yours. I'd wait for the inevitable bugs to rear their heads and get worked out.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
Sometimes, when you are on the "bleeding" edge, the blood is yours. I'd wait for the inevitable bugs to rear their heads and get worked out.
I haven't heard it put that way, and I like it. That being said, I'm relieved I've got a new coach right now. I'd be frothing at the mouth for that 10 speed otherwise. Oh, and its inevitable select-shift....
Old 04-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #18

I have driven the Workhorse chassis and its a much nicer powertrain package for larger gas motorhome. I expect the new Ford to be even better with the 10 speed. If I was in the market for a new gasser, I would definitely consider how long the wait would be. Eventhough Ford is launching it for the 2020 model year, I would expect remaining stock of the old chassis to cover most of the RV 2020 model year.
f18sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:50 AM   #19

Our next purchase will be in 8 to 9 years, which is just prior to 2nd career retirement in 2028.

Wife and I really like the Phaeton's (40IH), but we also like the 36LA gas floor plan.

With more power from new engine, 10 sp tranny, and new chassis, I would like to see Tiffin create a new gas model by adding two more slides to the 36LA floor plan. Then they could compete with Newmar 4 slide 39' Gassers.
tripntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #20

Glad i ordered my 2019. Always bugs on the new engines. Hope it goes well.
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I don't see why it would be any quieter.
Engine sound in the coach is a function of how well the coach manufacturer insulates the motorbox. Some are better than others. For you DP owners, have your spouse drive yours down the highway then go in back and take a nap. Can't can you. The engine is right under the bed and louder than any gas motor up front.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripntx View Post
Our next purchase will be in 8 to 9 years, which is just prior to 2nd career retirement in 2028.

Wife and I really like the Phaeton's (40IH), but we also like the 36LA gas floor plan.

With more power from new engine, 10 sp tranny, and new chassis, I would like to see Tiffin create a new gas model by adding two more slides to the 36LA floor plan. Then they could compete with Newmar 4 slide 39' Gassers.
We absolutely love our 36LA floor plan. would definitely be interested in a New V-8/10 sp tranny in the F53 chassis.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #23

Dang it, Ford. I had hoped for some more power.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/08/we-...xpected-video/

I also had obviously been confused. I was totally sure the Cutaway chassis would have the 10-speed. Maybe the following year, I guess. I'm not in the market currently, but it's hard to say how I would've reacted to a 10-speed being available.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:25 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by whciv View Post
Although I like what I read about the new F53 I much prefer owning a well tested V10. New engines will have new problems. Might wait a year or two for the kinks to be worked out.

Yea we just bought a 2020. I am sure this new engine will be ncier, but i'm not willing to deal with new engine type issues, with ford who has been overall poor in fixing V10 issues.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
Yea we just bought a 2020. I am sure this new engine will be ncier, but i'm not willing to deal with new engine type issues, with ford who has been overall poor in fixing V10 issues.
Let's not forget the 5.0 engines, which rolled out without a hitch. Or the 6.2, which was the same. The early ecoboosts had some issues, but nothing major.

I guess I'm saying I don't remember having the same quality issues with a gas engine since their infamous V10 launch, and there have been several in the meantime.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
Let's not forget the 5.0 engines, which rolled out without a hitch. Or the 6.2, which was the same. The early ecoboosts had some issues, but nothing major.

I have the 5.0 in my F150, I wouldn't say without a hitch as I have had to replace the radiator hose because of a poor design in the connectors when the engine torques it screws up the O ring. To the point there is a national shortage of the hoses when it gets cold...

Then I also had the infamous issue with the fuel pump fuse. Which burns out from use because it was undersized.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
I have the 5.0 in my F150, I wouldn't say without a hitch as I have had to replace the radiator hose because of a poor design in the connectors when the engine torques it screws up the O ring. To the point there is a national shortage of the hoses when it gets cold...

Then I also had the infamous issue with the fuel pump fuse. Which burns out from use because it was undersized.
Interesting, I hadn't heard of either of those. The hose thing would be a real treat jammed under an E-class hood...
Old 08-01-2019, 01:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
Dang it, Ford. I had hoped for some more power.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/08/we-...xpected-video/

I also had obviously been confused. I was totally sure the Cutaway chassis would have the 10-speed. Maybe the following year, I guess.
I was surprised at how much they de-rated the HP for the Medium Duty (and likely E350/E450 and F53 chassis). Torque is still good.

Don't expect to see any Class A or Class C motorhomes with the new engine and transmission for at least 9 months, possibly longer.

Tags
gas