Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
AquaHot diesel usage

So I have had my Bus setup for winter for over a month now. Wrapped the outside in Reflectix to reduce the wind underneath. Using the AquaHot almost exclusively for heat, minus a week or so when the webasto motor was going out, so I used electric and a propane space heater while I waited for parts.

I'd say I have been using the AquaHot since early October, and have put 25 gallons in the tank using a 5 gallon can. The diesel level in the tank is still up in the neck of the filler, visible when I shine a light in there. Yet the gauge inside is showing half a tank. How can the fluid level be so high in the filler neck, yet the gauge inside reflects about 75 gallons of diesel used?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyABus View Post
So I have had my Bus setup for winter for over a month now. Wrapped the outside in Reflectix to reduce the wind underneath. Using the AquaHot almost exclusively for heat, minus a week or so when the webasto motor was going out, so I used electric and a propane space heater while I waited for parts.

I'd say I have been using the AquaHot since early October, and have put 25 gallons in the tank using a 5 gallon can. The diesel level in the tank is still up in the neck of the filler, visible when I shine a light in there. Yet the gauge inside is showing half a tank. How can the fluid level be so high in the filler neck, yet the gauge inside reflects about 75 gallons of diesel used?
how full was the tank when u parked? If it was full to gunnels then perhaps you have a drooping fill hose and the filler hose is not draining into the tank.iam sure if you use the diesel every day it will have used at least 75 gallons by now
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do your gauges require an actual engine start/run to accurately reset?
Old 12-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, I filled it up and drove 5 miles before I parked it back in late August. Put 30 gals in since then (added 5 more tonight), and it's right at the half mark.

Doesn't seem realistic that I have used 105 gals just sitting here for 3 months. We used the AquaHot for water back when it was warm, and heat and water now that it's colder. Assuming it runs for 6 hours a day (that's a LOT of heating time, IMHO), that's 63 gals a month at 0.35 GPH. Then again, I did run the engine and generator once a month for at least 30 minutes, so I guess those sucked some diesel down too. Maybe the gauge is accurate after all. Just seems weird that I can touch diesel with my finger after using that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
how full was the tank when u parked? If it was full to gunnels then perhaps you have a drooping fill hose and the filler hose is not draining into the tank.iam sure if you use the diesel every day it will have used at least 75 gallons by now
Old 12-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thought about that. Turned ignition on and off, same. Started and ran engine for 10 mins, same. Looks like I have simply used more diesel than I anticipated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Do your gauges require an actual engine start/run to accurately reset?
Old 12-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #6

AH on diesel is not $$$$ efficient ;;Lets say u ran it 7 hours per day x60 days =147 gallons of fuel
I use the electric side of mine and the roof heat pumps and add in a electric heater if it gets too cool but in South California its only goes to 40-42 at nite and 65-70 daytime(currently)
Old 12-09-2016, 06:27 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
LOL yeah, try doing that when it is 10º outside. The heat pumps would run 24 hours a day, and would cost around $400 a month while never getting the RV above 50º inside.

Quote:
AH on diesel is not $$$$ efficient ;;Lets say u ran it 7 hours per day x60 days =147 gallons of fuel
I use the electric side of mine and the roof heat pumps and add in a electric heater if it gets too cool but in South California its only goes to 40-42 at nite and 65-70 daytime(currently)
Old 12-09-2016, 08:00 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
If you can see diesel in the filler neck have you tried to put more in just to see if it runs over and is really full. It is possible to have an air pocket in a hose that make a turn or two. Trying to put more fuel in will answer that question.
Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:10 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, I have put 30 gallons in thus far, and the level never seems to change. This, while the gauge has continued to drop. Makes me wonder if there is a baffle inside the tank, keeping the forward or upper portion full. But that makes no sense from a design standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
If you can see diesel in the filler neck have you tried to put more in just to see if it runs over and is really full. It is possible to have an air pocket in a hose that make a turn or two. Trying to put more fuel in will answer that question.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post

the bus hose runs straight in.I have one As I suggested earlier it most likely has a droop in it and thats why u can see fuel in the filler hose
Old 12-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
That might be it. But it's the same on both sides. Strange. But not the end of the world, now that I know what's going on.

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
the bus hose runs straight in.I have one As I suggested earlier it most likely has a droop in it and thats why u can see fuel in the filler hose
Old 01-13-2017, 10:03 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
https://mastertechrv.com/aqua-hot-service/

This article is very detailed on how the Aqua-Hot works and what to expect in fuel usage/maintenance, etc.

A lot of good information for first time owners. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1484370179.586079.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	149011

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:21 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Good stuff, thanks for sharing! With a 0.35º nozzle, it will obviously burn .35 gallons per hour running steady. But we're keeping records to see how much we have used all winter, so we'll have a better measure for next year. Actually, planning on being somewhere warmer for next winter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlturner View Post
https://mastertechrv.com/aqua-hot-service/

This article is very detailed on how the Aqua-Hot works and what to expect in fuel usage/maintenance, etc.

A lot of good information for first time owners. Attachment 149011

Old 01-24-2017, 10:05 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm trying to track the same info. Keep us posted of your results!
Thanks

jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel