Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2018, 08:02 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Are chassis batteries charged when coach plugged in to 120V?

Been keeping an eye out for the answer, but have never seen anything. On my 2003 Bus, I am wondering if the chassis batteries are charged/maintained when the unit is plugged in. I've never had an issue with undercharged batteries and the rig has always started, but I would like to know.
Thanks in advance.
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2018, 09:23 PM   #2

Easy enough to check for your self ; with a volt meter .

After the coach is plugged in to shore power ( wait a couple of mins.) then check the voltage at both sets of batteries . If the voltage is between 13.2 and 14.1 and equal at both sets ; your coach is equipped with a system to charge the chassis batteries, AND it's working.

A volt meter or multi meter , is an essential tool for anyone with an RV.
It doesn't have to be expensive , those available for under $20 work just fine and most come with instructions. If not; there's always U Tube.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
In the case of my Winnebago, no, the battery is not charged from shore power. It is charged only when the engine is running. I use a trickle charger, but some have added diode banks to keep both sets charged when on shore power.
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:24 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my Class-C, my ESS is a lit toggle next to the battery/ step; I verified that turning ON put trickle charge to the chassis just the other day, so I let it trickle for about 4-hours that day just to top off charge (had been 80%- 12.46v) but chassis battery is 8yo :-) Made it easier than burning gas..
Old 08-17-2018, 11:22 PM   #5

My daughter has this one on there 05 Monaco

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/15-Am...mp-l-start.htm
My coach came with an echo charger and when it went out I installed the Magnum Combiner, works great.
https://www.invertersupply.com/index...0Listing%20Ads
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:12 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoejeep View Post
Been keeping an eye out for the answer, but have never seen anything. On my 2003 Bus, I am wondering if the chassis batteries are charged/maintained when the unit is plugged in. I've never had an issue with undercharged batteries and the rig has always started, but I would like to know.
Thanks in advance.
It depends on your particular coach I have a Tiffin Phaeton, 2014 model and it has a trickle charger built-in for the chassis batteries .
Bill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you have a trickle charger, it would be mounted in a 120v outlet in one of the passenger side compartments. I remember that Tiffin used to use one that would actually discharge the batteries if the coach wasn't plugged into shore power.

I think the preferred way to go would be to add an Amp-L-Start which will keep your chassis batteries charged anytime the coach is on shore power and charging the house batteries.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Are chassis batteries charged when coach plugged in to 120v?

Any large DP built in the past 8-10 years is likely set up for the inverter/charger to keep all the batteries charged while the coach is plugged in to shore power. Even you 2003 Bus at 15 years old is likely set up this way since it’s one of Tiffins leading brands.

Skip426 has the right advice to be sure.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoejeep View Post
Thanks in advance.
My 2004 Tiffin Open Road does not charge the chassis battery while plugged in to shore power.
I have a 100W solar panel that kept the house batteries charged. I replaced the single output solar controller with a dual output solar controller and connected the second output to the chassis battery. Have not had a dead chassis battery since.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #10

I'm thinking that the aftermarket connectors (Amp-L-Start, Magnum Energy) mentioned would also provide a charge to the starting battery with the gen. running as well as when plugged in to shore power, correct?

Thanks,

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:51 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
I'm thinking that the aftermarket connectors (Amp-L-Start, Magnum Energy) mentioned would also provide a charge to the starting battery with the gen. running as well as when plugged in to shore power, correct?

Thanks,

Steve
(On my GS Class-C) NORMALLY NO CHARGE to chassis battery while on shoreline/ GEN; BUT shoreline/ GEN CAN charge chassis IF ESS Toggle Switch is turned ON; You can verify this w/ a voltmeter on your unit. Further Engine will charge COACH battery while traveling, and this is thru the relay activated by the IGN SWITCH in RUN position. Do NOT leave it ON normally, as this can then accidently allow coach to kill the chassis battery, e.g. storage
Old 08-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a related question: is the dash radio operated off the house or chassis batteries?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
I have a related question: is the dash radio operated off the house or chassis batteries?
My 2004 was originally wired to the House batteries. I could never turn it off so that the LEDs would not shine all night. I have since wired it with a two way switch that allows me to choose the house or the chassis battery to provide the main power. The memory wire is connected to the chassis battery.
Now I can have it off when the engine is not running or turn it on when we are parked without turnig the ignition switch on.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #14

My 2003 Phaeton came with a trickle charger so that when on shore power, the chassis batteries were being charged. The problem was that when in storage with no power, the trickle charger would discharge the chassis batteries enless you unplugged it. As mentioned, the best fix is to throw the trickle charger as far as you can and install the Amp-L-Start.

AMP-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer - Overview Page
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, chassis