Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Bad paint job? Can't be normal

Almost 2 months since taking home custom built 2018 Tiffin Red. Don't want to keep looking, but am noticing areas all over the coach where debris was not removed from the body at prep, but simply painted over. They are not easily apparent unless you look closely. Anyone else experience this issue? We expected far better as Tiffin touts their work as "meticulous"; this word does not describe the coach they built for us. We can live with other things we found which are fixable, but the paint job is very disappointing.
caronaextra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 09:11 PM   #2

Whether anyone else as experienced it or not I'd contact the manufacturer and dealer and show them the poor paint job. Depending on what the cause is they may be able to polish it out. Good luck with it.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:20 AM   #3

If you are expecting perfect, you will always be disappointed, no matter who the manufacturer. The previous poster is correct; doesn't matter if others experienced it or not, nor can we judge what you consider disappointing. Maybe the dealer can fix it, or maybe they can reset your expectations if that is the issue.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:33 AM   #4

i had some blemishes in the paint on my coach....did not notice them until after i took delivery and used the coach is all sorts of lighting...some on the basement doors, one on a slide wall....took it to a tiffin authorized repair center with a paint booth in my area (central CT), and they repainted/repaired clear coat and now better than when i took delivery. tiffin covered under warranty of course.....

i like using repair - only type of service centers vs. dealers. no distraction of sales, just service / maintenance. YMMV, but i have had across the board better luck than taking to to any dealer. the same place says they can also do warranty work on my newmar on order if i need it.

so if you're not happy, get it fixed.....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #5

This is proably going to come across as a bit snarky, but I'll try to temper my comments a bit.....

I've seen several threads about paint quality on a new coach, pointing a finger at various builders. First, RVs are not painted like cars, but in reality that isn't really a significant either issue given the paint care most people apply to thier cars or RV. The reality is, given the lack of care (knowingly or unknowingly) the paint on most cars and RVs is a mess within a year.

If your ever seen one of my pontifications on RV detailing, you'll understand where I am coming from. Car detailing, and paint is a passion for me, and even given the time and care I take to wash / dry my RV I still get micro scratches (also known as swirls, wether circular, horizontal or vertical) in my paint. I just noticed a few spots the other day that will need a light polishing (not wax, polish, then reapply sealant (polymer "wax").

The other reality is, even many, if not not most "car guys" have marginal paint on thier cars, many car dealers damage the paint on new cars when they are washed on the lot and even during delivery prep, and the owners think they have nice shiny cars. What I have seen on relatively new high end sports cars, collector cars, etc. is simply amazing to me (in a bad way).

The moment you let someone else wash your RV (or car) you are going to get swirls / micro scratches, simply because they are not going to take the time and effort needed to ensure they don't grind grit and dirt into your paint. As soon as you take it to a car / truck wash, forget it, your done. Mobile detailers are a total gamble, some better than others, but some will do serious damage. Don't get me going on "waterless" washes or using brushes when washing.

Sure, your car / RV will get clean, but your paint is going to suffer. It may look fine from 10', but given light angles and how you look at the paint the paint is going to be damaged.

A recent anecdotal story.... We stayed at a very nice ownership RV resort a few weeks ago. Pulled into our spot, next to a newer, popular tag coach. A quick glance, and I thought that he had a nice clean coach. As we were eating dinner, and the sun started to move around his RV, my wife says to me, OMG, look at the (micro) scratches in his paint. It was terrible - you could very clearly see the vertical marring of the paint going up and down the sides, and the horizontal marring above the Windows once the sun hit it. I can't imagine the time and effort it would take to polish out his paint to get it even reasonably nice again......

It takes me about 5 "man hours" or so to "properly" do a basic wash / dry of my little coach, and that does not include the roof.

Yes, my RV (which we ordered as well) has some imperfections imbedded in the paint, and actually has a run on one of the fender wells, and getting it "corrected" simply wasn't worth the time or effort - with an RV (or a home) sometimes you have to learn to live with "that's as good as it's going to be" because getting it fixed isn't worth the time or risk of making something even worse.

If you really want to get your paint defects fixed, call Tiffin and I'm sure they will try to help you out, but I'd leave well enough alone.....
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #6

Seem ridiculous that you could buy a 2018 only several months into 2017. Pretty much just have to conclude that all vehicles are a year to two years older than what the ownership says. In theory you could buy a 2018 a few months into 2017, and another person could buy the same unit late in 2018. Even though they are both the same model year, one is a year and a half older. Crazy. Cars and trucks are the same. Why dont we just do a reset and start selling them again with the correct year on them.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caronaextra View Post
Almost 2 months since taking home custom built 2018 Tiffin Red. Don't want to keep looking, but am noticing areas all over the coach where debris was not removed from the body at prep, but simply painted over. They are not easily apparent unless you look closely. Anyone else experience this issue? We expected far better as Tiffin touts their work as "meticulous"; this word does not describe the coach they built for us. We can live with other things we found which are fixable, but the paint job is very disappointing.
If you think the paint is bad on your Tiffin now just wait till they up production starting August 1st to build 13 coaches a day. Can't wait to see the high quality they produce then.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
If you think the paint is bad on your Tiffin now just wait till they up production starting August 1st to build 13 coaches a day. Can't wait to see the high quality they produce then.

Somehow I don't think adding one more coach per day is going to drop quality dramatically. You're talking an 8% increase.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
@caronaextra, I see you're located in Manteca, CA. Let me make a suggestion.

Affordable RV located in Newcastle, CA, is an authorized Tiffin service center that can perform Tiffin warranty work. I would suggest calling Dassen Murchie there (530) 392-0373 and explain your situation. I believe he will suggest that you bring the coach to him when he can arrange for the west coast Tiffin rep to meet you there.

They have done excellent paint work for me in the past, so if authorized by the Tiffin rep, they should be able to take care of you if possible.

If you don't like the response you get from the Tiffin rep, then I would suggest calling Bob Tiffin (256) 356-8661 Ext 2206, and see what he might suggest as a possible solution.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:08 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I was at the Tiffin service center this spring I saw a lot of "New" RVs getting the paint touched up. People spent weeks waiting on their turn in the paint booths. I had my 2014 36LA roof rail and basement door painted and am very satisfied with the results. I was there 3 weeks but had to wait the first week for insurance approval for the repairs. Enjoyed my stay at Camp Red Bay. Met a lot of good people. Tiffin will fix all your issues and you go to the top of the wait list upon arrival bc you have a 2018 model.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint