RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2018, 11:24 PM   #1

Bang Under Floor When Driving - 2019 36LA

We picked up our 2019 36LA about 2+ weeks ago and drove it 800 miles back from Mississippi. During the last 200 miles we notice a "bang" noise that I can feel under the drivers floor when going over bumps where the front end goes up and back down (porpoising). I took it to Ford this week to have a couple of items inspected including having the shocks re-torqued but they were not loose. They also inspected the welds as I did too and saw nothing that looked broken. Any thoughts on what this might be? It only seems to happen on bumps that cause a pretty significant movement of the front end... not small or medium bumps. I can actually feel it under my feet about where you would put them when not on the gas or brake petal. Maybe this is normal...??

Thanks,

Bill

whciv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 11:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What pressure are your tires set at?

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
What pressure are your tires set at?
Dealer set them at 95psi. I don't think this would cause a bang sound and feeling on the floor. I can see it might make the ride more rough.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:05 AM   #4

might check front sway bar and everything attached to sway bar? Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #5

Are there suspension bump stops? If you suspect them, put a little paint on them and drive until it bangs and check the paint for impact.

Do you have the Sumo option? If so, is the coach lifting enough to lose contact and recontact the Sumo or is the driver's side loose?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
At what speed is this bang sound occurring? You Need a total inspection of the entire front suspension system. Obviously something is loose. Sorry can't offer anymore advise.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:53 PM   #7

Let the guy out of the basement.😀😀
Old 10-08-2018, 08:02 PM   #8

Or put the wife in the basement with a flashlight and tell her she can get out when she finds the noise!
Old 10-08-2018, 10:36 PM   #9

I do have summo springs, but they don't look like they come apart. They are blue and look like one piece.

Anyone ever have this same issue? It might be normal, but I just want to make sure before driving a long distance again.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:16 PM   #10

I'm new to my rig, so not sure what is "normal" either. If my coach is rocking at slow speed, like doing potholes in my long gravel drive, I get a metal on metal clanking noise from the front. I plan to get it checked.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:54 AM   #11

Most likely The F sway bar links are not torqued to spec. Do torque to 66 ft lbs and apply blue Loctite before doing so. F SB brackets also front shocks 250 ft lbs.
Koni FSD will cure your porpusing, try quad shocks
Old 10-10-2018, 07:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragusa3 View Post
I'm new to my rig, so not sure what is "normal" either. If my coach is rocking at slow speed, like doing potholes in my long gravel drive, I get a metal on metal clanking noise from the front. I plan to get it checked.
My bet is one of the house supports just inside the engine compartment have a broken weld. Open the engine “hood” and look to each side. They are a triangulated L stock support, and the welds tend to break where they are attached to the Ford frame cross member or near the chassis battery tray. I’d suggest whacking them with a hammer so you can hear / feel if there is a broken weld as just yanking on them may or may not be enough to create movement.

As for the OP, it is my understanding that Tiffin has improved this front corner support structure in 2019s (and maybe ‘18s) so I’d be surprised if that is the problem but certainly worth a look......
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:29 AM   #13

Thanks for the input. I will check all items mentioned.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
My bet is one of the house supports just inside the engine compartment have a broken weld. Open the engine “hood” and look to each side. They are a triangulated L stock support, and the welds tend to break where they are attached to the Ford frame cross member or near the chassis battery tray. I’d suggest whacking them with a hammer so you can hear / feel if there is a broken weld as just yanking on them may or may not be enough to create movement.

As for the OP, it is my understanding that Tiffin has improved this front corner support structure in 2019s (and maybe ‘18s) so I’d be surprised if that is the problem but certainly worth a look......
I checked and my 2019 has a different style of support for the front. Its not a triangulated support, but a new v-shaped steel structure that is like a web with steel on both sides and in the middle.

Tags
floor