RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Battery fun 2013 Red 38 QRA

2013 Allegro Red 38QRA battery problem; main disconnects off at both start and house battery banks. Motorhome stored inside for 2 months, went to fire bus up today and house bank was depleted, showing 6.2 volts on the main voltage monitor and house lights would not turn on. I believed the disconnect to do just that; disconnect the bank from any external source drain. What have I done wrong? Main start bank seemed fine.

Are the house batteries now toast? I would like to understand what happened and what I did wrong......

mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #2

It is my view and past work experience that any time you seriously deplete a battery such as has been done in your case, you have permanently lost some, if not most, of the capacity of that battery and it cannot be recovered. That is the usual case.

However, also in my past experience, I have had this happen on relatively new AGM batteries and after I had fully recharged those batteries and done a battery capacity test with sophisticated equipment at my disposal, I found I still had the factory specified capacity. I do not know if AGM batteries are more robust than your wet cell type SLA batteries are but I would suggest you simply recharge them fully and hope for the best. If serious loss of capacity occurs then new ones will need be purchased.

Meanwhile, I can't offer any suggestions why your batteries became depleted in the first place. If it were me, I'd first make sure the batteries were properly maintained and exteriors clean....with appropriate water levels in the cells.... and then I'd be looking for any wiring connected prior to the cutoff switch that could draw current from the batteries.

Good luck on resolving this.

Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are the main house batteries toast?

Depends. IF they are Golf Car (GC-2 Six volt pairs in series) they may well recover, at least a significant portion of their capacity, if properly recharged.

If they are Marine/Deep cycle.. Again they MIGHT recover, but the odds are way lower.

Recommendation: Charge them up and test 'em.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:09 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check to make sure your inverter was turned off. Neither the 12 volt switch by the front door nor the switch in the battery compartment, disconnect the inverter and it continues to draw power. Even turned off, there is still some minor draw from the batteries. Best way for long-term storage is to remove the negative battery terminal if no shore power for charging is available.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED2010 View Post
Check to make sure your inverter was turned off. Neither the 12 volt switch by the front door nor the switch in the battery compartment, disconnect the inverter and it continues to draw power. Even turned off, there is still some minor draw from the batteries. Best way for long-term storage is to remove the negative battery terminal if no shore power for charging is available.
yes this is the correct answer.Tiffin really should have put a shut off switch inline that cuts all 12V power to the inverter for storage,.I have a 08 bus with the same system and batterys will go dead if left in storage without removing the neg house batt post connection.bad management on tiffins part
however in regards to op Just because your new house batteys ran dead does not hurt them at all.
McRvnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Exclamation Update to battery fun and frolic

Ok, time to update status. Coach batteries were definitely dead, murdered by me. Once I got to checking things out, I found I left both input and output breakers to the inverter on. Apparently drained from this and the lp/co2 detectors, all even with disconnect switch rotated off.

Checked with local CW location as they have done some ok work for me in the past and they are close. They quoted me (4) new Excide GC135 6v installed for the super-duper, good Sam member price on "only $750 installed including tax. Hmmmm.... I thought.....

I booked an appointment for the next day as they could get me right in and I was getting desperate and short on time.

Slept on it over night and couldn't get away from that $750 price tag. Got up the next morning and called a local Trojan dealer that I have used to buy big boat batteries from over the years. Quoted $535 for (4) Trojan t105's, in stock, and they could swap them out for me if I could pop in before lunch.

Needless to say, I jumped on the Trojans post haste. Feel like I dodged a bullet on this one. New batts in and hot, happy coach, happy campers.....but really; over $200 price difference from an installed Trojan to an Excide? "Best price"' deep good Sam discount, etc, etc,,....shame, shame, shame!!

mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery