Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Battery Question

We have a 2016 Tiffin 32SA - new to us, we got it in December. We are first time owners. It is parked in our driveway plugged into a 30A plug with a 50A to 30A adapter. It has 4 - deep cycle 6V Duracell (Batteries Plus) house batteries. The label says they are part number SLIRV110. About a week a week ago, I checked the water level in the batteries. In to get the cap off the last battery in the lineup, I had to loosen the nut on one of battery posts. When I tried to re tighten it, the entire bolt started to spin in the battery housing. Now I can't tighten it, nor can I get it off the battery post. I guess I am going to have to have it replaced. I attached a pic of the offending part. My question is should I go ahead and replace all 4? I haven't had any problems with the batteries - they consistently hold a charge - right now the meter in the RV reads 13.6 volts.They are the original batteries - the previous owner took delivery of the RV new in November of 2016. There are 17000 miles on it. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Stormmuzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Battery

The pic didn't upload the first time. Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180209_173617.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	191729  
Old 02-09-2018, 04:45 PM   #3

Plenty of battery post converters on Amazon. You could convert that post to a side or marine terminal.
https://www.amazon.com/battery-post-...post%20adapter
Old 02-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The battery can be repaired by a good shop. Try a nut splitter or a cutoff wheel to remove the nut.

You can also use a marine battery clamp on the round post.
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:26 PM   #5

I would not use anything that creates sparks. Batteries especially when in a charge mode give off hydrogen gas. I had a battery explode ignited by a spark from a cutting torch. Be safe.
Trans. Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:30 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
You need something like this. https://www.delcity.net/store/Post-t...20553.h_820554
Old 02-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks for the replies. I had never heard of a nut splitter; I'll find one and give it a try.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:05 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You may be able to borrow a nut splitter from an Auto Parts Store, call around.

If using a cut off wheel remove the battery's other terminal, cover with a plastic bag and then cardboard.

You may be able to remove the stud by prying upward and unscrewing.

Good luck
Old 02-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
That stud is 3/8. His 5/16 cables will not fit. The Marine terminals have 5/16 threads. The + and - terminals are different diameters so be sure and get a +.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:46 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I looked on Amazon and there are several that may work. These say in the Q&A that the studs for securing the terminals are 5/16. https://www.amazon.com/Buwico-Positi...nal+connectors
Old 02-09-2018, 08:04 PM   #11

You have 4 batteries so you can swap a different one in that position and, after cutting the nut off, use that one with a clamp type terminal to one of the jumpers.

Disconnect the neg terminal on that battery, cover it with a soaking wet rag or towel and cut the nut and stud down the center with a hack saw.

The only thing you need to watch for down the road is corrosion from acid leaking around the stud.

If you decide to replace that battery, you should, at least change the other one in the series string.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10025952_vmr_31672_pri_larg.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	191742  
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:51 PM   #12

Battery Question

God I hate when that happens,,,.

Take a cordless cutoff wheel and cut right across the nut. Once the nut is off, pull the cables, and then flush cut the post. Get the main post conversion and your good to go in less than 30 minutes.

Remember, with a simple 4 1/4 cut off wheel, you can cut the steel post & nut. But do not touch the lead with the wheel, it will load up the wheel and make it worthless.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks again for all the advice. So if I get the nut off and remove the stud, I need to watch for leakage around the base where the stud used to be, right? There won't be any internal damage to the battery from the stud spinning in the hole?
Old 02-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormmuzac View Post
Thanks again for all the advice. So if I get the nut off and remove the stud, I need to watch for leakage around the base where the stud used to be, right? There won't be any internal damage to the battery from the stud spinning in the hole?
There won't be any internal damage to the battery. The stud does not normally penetrate the case , so there will be no leakage. If you decide to replace the batteries, all 4 should be replaced . Anything less and the life of the pack will be shortened.

Tags
battery