RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #1

Battery Removal Help Needed!

I was about to take a trip this weekend but found I have two dead 6V coach batteries that need to be removed but I can't figure out how to get them out of the step battery box? I removed the screws to the cross bar holding them down it is too long for the narrow opening. the opening is also not large enough for the batteries to come up and out? Can someone tell me how to remove these?

any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks - Jim

JUlrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2017, 05:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check to see if they have a bottom clamp. Some batteries use a bottom clamp it forces one side of the battery against a fixed side.

Ron Postma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:54 PM   #3

Not real familiar with your coach but a word of caution before you remove the batteries, take a few photos to aid in putting them back in with the right connections.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #4

Battery Removal Help Needed!

There is no clamp issue; wish it was that simple. the opening to the battery box is not large enough to pull the batteries through. There is metal shroud around the perimeter of the opening that acts as a base plate for the step that covers the battery compartment. I don't know how or if the base plate comes off. I don't see any screws and the plate goes beyond the width of the step walls. I'm clueless how these batteries are supposed to be removed to replace them. Frustrating.....called Tiffin but not getting any response from them.........
Old 03-18-2017, 06:06 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
You have to remove the top metal shroud that the steps screw into. Look for screws under the lip.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #6

Brian - thanks for the tip, I've looked but can't find any screws that would allow the top plate to come off?
Old 03-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't think anyone can give you an accurate answer until they know more about what coach you have.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out this prior thread about removing the batteries from a Tiffin Allegro Open Road post #10 tells you how he did it. On the Tiffin RV Network there is a better post with pictures.

34TGA Battery removal - how to

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:07 PM   #9

yes, telling you what model coach I have would be a good idea :-) . Duh...been a long day. It's a 2014 36LA. thanks
Old 03-18-2017, 09:10 PM   #10

Jon, thanks I read their link, but I'm unable to get to the TiffinRVNetwork form link that shows the illustrations. Their registration process to obtain access to their forum appears to take days... Guess my trip will be delayed a few more days. Still - I appreciate your and everyone else's aide...I'm learning more from this forum than from Tiffin, that's for sure. Thanks all. - Jim
Old 03-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUlrick View Post
Jon, thanks I read their link, but I'm unable to get to the TiffinRVNetwork form link that shows the illustrations. Their registration process to obtain access to their forum appears to take days... Guess my trip will be delayed a few more days. Still - I appreciate your and everyone else's aide...I'm learning more from this forum than from Tiffin, that's for sure. Thanks all. - Jim
It has been a while since I signed up for the Tiffin RV Network but when I signed up I had instant access to the whole site. The site is made up of Tiffin owners and there is no advertising or fees. If you think the info on the site is worthwhile to you they do ask for donations only.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #12

Screws Tough to Find

My husband had a very difficult time finding all of the screws to remove the metal step lip. He ended up under the coach with a very bright flashlight before he could see them all. There were at least 4 screws that were not visible from above. Once the screws are all removed, the flange lifts up in two pieces and the edges that are tucked under the carpet are difficult to remove without some effort. Took us about 2 weeks to figure this out...and Red Bay was no help...🤔. Ours is a 2015 34TGA - we assume the step battery compartment is the same. Good luck!
skalbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #13

Thanks for that Tip!.... unfortunately when I look from underneath, I found that the top plate is actually welded on the sides to the underneath of the top..., so it's not coming off with screws. I'll need to call Tiffin on Monday. Again, thanks for the tip.

Tags
battery, removal