Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2017, 04:27 PM   #1

Bilstein Shocks for 2004 Allegro Bus

Looking to put new shocks on my 2004 Allegro Bus 38TGP. It has 98k miles on the Freightliner XC chassis and has been rattling the fillings out of my teeth when I get on a road that isn't smooth. Konis seem great - especially if you like spending tons of $$. I've heard lots of good things about Bilsteins but can't find any info about which model I need or which model will smooth my ride the most. Anybody gone with these and which ones did you use?
Roamin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #2

I was just looking at a popular on-line shock retailer. I think I found the Bilsteins that I need. For all four would be about $360. A set of four Konis are $660. Are they THAT much better? For $300 more I better float down the road like I'm suspended in a pool of pudding.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:23 AM   #3

ck with Rally's "R" Us - Welcome Home I've used him several times and last winter I had him replace my bilstein shocks. Dave
Old 12-05-2017, 07:31 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bilstein vs Koni Interesting Article

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Shock Testing.pdf (2.56 MB, 168 views)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post

Thanks for the link. Good article.
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
Damion,
Thanks a million!!! This is exactly what I was looking for. The test vehicle in the article even has the same chassis as my rig. One more question - do you know which model of Bilsteins they use in this article? I have looked up the Bilstein shocks that supposedly fit my application, but they are silver and blue, not yellow and blue like the ones in the article. Is it possible they just changed the color? If you know, that would be great. Otherwise I'll give Bilstein a call tomorrow to try to get some clarification. Thanks again!
Old 12-06-2017, 03:49 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin Mike View Post
Damion,
Thanks a million!!! This is exactly what I was looking for. The test vehicle in the article even has the same chassis as my rig. One more question - do you know which model of Bilsteins they use in this article? I have looked up the Bilstein shocks that supposedly fit my application, but they are silver and blue, not yellow and blue like the ones in the article. Is it possible they just changed the color? If you know, that would be great. Otherwise I'll give Bilstein a call tomorrow to try to get some clarification. Thanks again!
I don't know anything more than what the article say's. Helped me make the decision on which brand to buy! Haven't got to try the new Bilsteins out yet!
Old 12-06-2017, 05:40 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The flaw in that article is that they are testing what they think are similar shocks... NOT necessarily the model best for your coach. There is a world of difference between the Koni FSDs and Koni 99s.

The Koni 99s were originally made for commercial busses. Not all chassis will take them. My Freightliner XC chassis has Neway IFS (independent front suspension) and does fit the 99s.

I broke a Bilstein shock and replaced with another set of Bilsteins (per Freightliner OEM recommendation). After three months of the SLAMMING I'd grown used to with the previous set, I went to the Koni 99 shock. BEST move I ever made.

The difference, in plain words, is in the pressure of the shock. The Bilstein has a pressure... you have to compress it to put it on. The Koni 99 is more of a equal pressure dampener... when you're holding it in your hands, it stays in whatever position you put it. The end result is that it simply dampens the jolt of say... a bridge transition... rather than the Bilstein that actively pushes back against the bridge transition.

Yes, the Koni 99 is about $450 a pair and worth EVERY penny.

PS: I put them on the front only. My back shocks are still fine.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #9

If anybody can help with a part number or model number for the Bilstein shocks that go on the '04 Freightliner XC it would be greatly appreciated. I called Bilstein today and the guy I talked to (who sounded completely uninterested in helping me) said that they only make a shock for the front end (24-234498) and don't show anything for the rear. But I've looked at a couple of sites that sell shocks and they both list a shock for the rear (24-234504). I was trying to get some clarification, but have only gotten more confusion. Anybody?
Old 12-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I contacted Michigan truck spring gave them The model chassis info and they looked up the part numbers. My factory shocks were completely worn out at 60k miles but no way to tell without removing them. Never tried the koni brand but the blisteins made a noticeable difference. I would buy them again. I also have the freightliner XC chassis.
Tkel757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:09 AM   #11

Romain Mike - looks like you never checked with Chip at Rally's "R" Us - Welcome Home. He goes to a lot of rallies and installs hundreds of bilstein shocks every year at rallies. Dave
Old 12-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
Romain Mike - looks like you never checked with Chip at Rally's "R" Us - Welcome Home. He goes to a lot of rallies and installs hundreds of bilstein shocks every year at rallies. Dave
Allegro1X - I checked with Chip @ Rally's "R" Us and apparently he's only interested in doing the work for me, NOT telling me what shocks I need so that I can do it myself or have someone local do it. Whatever. The search continues.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:23 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My front Bilstein's are on order with Michigan truck spring since mid October!
We're suppose to be built first of Dec. and now there suppose to be built in Germany in late February!! The guys at Michigan truck say's Bilstein always follow through so I'm still waiting! RV in storage for winter anyhow!
Old 12-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #14

We had a 2005 Fleetwood on the same chassis and switched to the Bilstein's. They made a massive difference.

We have an American Coach that rides well and we are tempted to switch from the factory Bilstein to the after market. They made that much of a difference..

There are places on line where you put the chassis year etc in and it gives you the exact part number.

Tags
allegro, shocks