Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2018, 08:20 AM   #1

Black Tank regular Maintenance Question from newbie

We are about to embark on our first voyage and while I believe I have a grasp on the water system I have one question with respect to the black tank. Is there any sort of maintenance product I need to use for break-down of the content and/or smell reduction...etc?

Again, I believe I understand how to properly drain and such, but I'm asking more about if I should be using any sort of tablet or other product just while in normal 'operation' lol.

Thanks!
(Class A Tiffin Phaeton BH37)
ls1ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2018, 08:52 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ashley View Post
We are about to embark on our first voyage and while I believe I have a grasp on the water system I have one question with respect to the black tank. Is there any sort of maintenance product I need to use for break-down of the content and/or smell reduction...etc?

Again, I believe I understand how to properly drain and such, but I'm asking more about if I should be using any sort of tablet or other product just while in normal 'operation' lol.

Thanks!
(Class A Tiffin Phaeton BH37)
Suggest you use an enzyme digester like "Happy Camper" or Unique......both available on Amazon.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #3

Many are sold but we don't find the need for any. We dump when needed and wash the black tank with our built in sprayer. Repeat.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Think of the system as a collection, holding and transfer rather than anything with regards to breaking down, digestion or conversion. Microbes need a lot of time and the correct conditions to establish a large enough colony capable of breaking down waste material. As such adding anything to assist in the decomposition of waste material might not be the best use of financial resources unless your tank fill rate is measure in months.

For odor control, I'm with sbleiweiss, never had a need. Dump when needed and flush out any material that did not exit the tank with the dump. Never had a problem with the level sensors either. The in tank flush nozzle solves a lot of potential problems.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Here what I do....

Black Tank-5 gallons of water; 1cup of liquid laundry soap (Oxy-Clean); 1/2 cup of Calgon water softener OR Borax. The soap cleans and the Calgon leaves a slick surface that will make it more difficult for solids or toilet paper to stick.

I don’t do this every single time but often. I also drop one of the little water soluble pod for odor. The pod is every time.

Also use the tank flush and leave the black open when emptying the grey so the grey will get over into the black to help flush it out.

With all this, I think my black tank is fairly clean.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #6

No need for any chemicals but in hot weather you might have to be a little more careful to stand upwind when you dump.

You probably know not to sit on hookups with the black tank dump valve open all the time
Old 04-19-2018, 04:46 PM   #7

Lots of good advice above. To avoid problems keep lots of water in the black tank.
Happy Campers is a fantastic product if you are having problems. I also occasionally use the mix of Calgon/ laundry detergent/water that Les.warden mentioned. The only thing I would add to it would be to be sure to drive with the mixture in the tanks.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #8

And remember, it's Calgon water softener, not Calgon bath beads which is what you get when you send DW to the store!
Old 04-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #9

Thank you all. This all has been clear and I feel 100% more prepared and knowledgeable now.
ls1ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
There are only about a bazillion black tank treatments that do everything from deodorize to clean to slicken the inside to you name it. There are liquids, powders, small pouches you open and pour in, water soluble pouches you just throw in, and concoctions you can mix up. Take your pick.

We use the simplest I could find. Don't remember the brand name, but it is scented (not brutally scented) and is in a water soluble pouch that comes sealed in a big zip-lock bag. I like 'em as there is nothing to measure, nothing to pour, nothing to open, nothing to spill. Who wants to spend a lot of time fiddling with the crapper?

We chose the pouches as the easiest, and less obtrusive plan. Throw one in toilet, flush in a couple of gallons of water to dissolve the thing and provide enough water to prevent "the pyramid" from getting started...

Several have suggested keeping 2-3" of water in the toilet after flushing, it makes sure no unpleasant odors creep back in and also gives you a warning when the seal starts to leak. Just remember to fully flush before you pack up or some of that water will end up on the floor.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:15 AM   #11

We have never found the need for anything in our black water tank other than not scrimping on water when flushing. As long as your vent pipe is clear odor shouldn't be an issue. On our last day on the road we use the dish soap - calgon - water method to let the twists and turns in the road remove any clingons before our final dump and storage. We do the same last day cleaning with the grey water tank as well. It can get very fragrant if the P traps dry out.
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:22 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Go on youtube & search for RVGeeks. The best video series EVER for newbies, I feel. We've learned a ton watching their videos. They have a great one on waste tanks.
LizzyWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:40 AM   #13

If you have a gravity flush toilet.......

Once you've dumped the black tank, and while running the tank flush, fill the toilet bowl completely and flush it 2-3 times. You might be surprised what it breaks up in the bottom of the black tank, particularly if you've been sitting in one spot for awhile......

And yes, we are cognizant of using plenty of water flushing and starting out with water in the tank to begin with, as well as how full the tank is when we dump.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:25 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As you gain experience you will find what you need to do concerning grey/black water holding tanks. A majority of the responses say they don't use anything. To each his/her own. I have smelled the smell and so I always use a holding tank chemical usually bought at Walmart. They have several different brands. I buy the lowest priced one and it has always done the job of eliminating the sewer odor. I use a half measure in the grey tank to keep it clean and odor free.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, maintenance, newbie, tank