Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #1

I'm torn between buying a 2006 Tiffin Phaeton, or a new 2008 Winnebago Destination. Two Pros to the Winne are basement air, and their external, sonar type tank sensors that never get dirty. What sensors does Tiffin use? Do they fail often? I see a thread here on AC condensation leaks from the roof units. Is that a common problem? Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #2

I'm torn between buying a 2006 Tiffin Phaeton, or a new 2008 Winnebago Destination. Two Pros to the Winne are basement air, and their external, sonar type tank sensors that never get dirty. What sensors does Tiffin use? Do they fail often? I see a thread here on AC condensation leaks from the roof units. Is that a common problem? Thanks!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #3

Tiffin uses the old through the tank system. If you get it to work for a month, I'd say you're doing well. The first thing I did was replace ours with a SeeLevel 709. No further problems.

The Tiffin system was a definite disappointment. Perhaps they'll go to a decent system eventually, but not so far.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the SeeLevel external gages installed in mine this past September to replace the originals. I believe Tiffin has gone to an exterior monitoring system and is looking at the SeeLevel system. The external system they are using still only measures in 1/3 increments, which isn't enough.

I've had no problems with the AC/HP. Had the drain lines blown out last summer. That's the same thing you have to do (or should do) annually with you AC unit at home. I have had no leaks of any kind in my unit.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
rdalcanto,

Both motorhomes you are looking are are reputable brands. I've owned both a Winnebago and now our Tiffin Allegro Bus and liked them both.

Regarding your concerns, I liked the basement air when I had it in the Winnebago because I was used to a previous rig with noisy roof airs. The newer roof air units on the Tiffins are quiet so I dont' have to put up with the noise of the basement air running under the bed. Additionally, when sitting outside under the awning or around a fire at nigt the roof airs are much quieter.....Advantage Tiffin.

The condensation leak from the roof air is rare, but can happen if the tube that drains the roof air condensation from the pump get clogged. I sure like the system with the tube for the condensation over having the water run off the roof. If the tube happes to clog, a simple shot of air through it clears it right out.

Internal tank sensors are historically lousey. I'm not a fan of the external sensors either that only measure in 1/3 or 1/4 increments of the tank level.

In my honest opinion, the SeeLevel external tank monitoring system is the only way to go and it's an easy aftermarket addition to either rig you are thinking of purchasing so don't let the tank system affect your decision.

Click on this link for pictures of the Seelevel installation I did on our Allegro Bus
SeeLevel installation in Allegro Bus