Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #1

BREEZE HANDLING ISSUES - Mike Mas

I would like to mention to Breeze owners that many of the earlier Breeze coach's had some steering problems and issues. I drove five different units from VA, GA & FL and only 2 of them had what I would call normal steering - the other three definitely had some steering issues to where the steering was never happy and required constant input and attention regardless of surface or road pitch and felt "unsafe" to drive.

During a road test at a dealer, I even consulted by phone with Tiffin Rep about the steering issues and they acknowledged there was problems and recommended that if I bought the unit, that I take it to a front end specialty shop in Orlando, FL. (that was not going to happen) I was also advised by him that Red Bay did not have the proper equipment to remedy the problem. They also acknowledged in newer units these steering problems were addressed.

If your steering is correct - your Breeze should steer somewhat like a larger coach - if it dose not, then you might have some issues. Don't just accept bad steering because others are telling you its OK, and the coach is light and that this is normal, because this is not the case, your coach should steer normal and similar to any 35 ft (smaller) pusher coach. Now we're not talking about crosswinds or as other trucks are passing, we're talking about normal straight driving, you should be able to relax and just monitor the steering with an occasional correction on a non grooved surface, preferably on a new concrete surface. If there is a lot of pitch in the road, or if the surface is grooved (normal in right lanes from trucks) you coach might try to ride up the groove to follow the pitch which will take constant attention.

My Breeze steers and handles somewhat like my American Dream (36F) and Winnebago (37) did. In addition, once I lowered the pressure in the tires, which increased the tires foot print, she now handles and tracks even better.

Thanks - Mike

Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #2

Reviving this one. I just took my second test drive in a different 2012 32' Breeze. I love it BUT, the steering feels weird. It is only about 3 weeks old, so it should have all the latest updates. Every little bump in the road is felt in the steering wheel. I didn't have trouble controlling it, it's just that the stg wheel vibrates with every bump. It feels like "bump steer". I have driven a Vesta and a Serrano. I didn't get the same feeling with either of them. It also still has the slide squeaks. I love everything else about it. I'd love to hear from current owners to see if this is common. Thanks in advance,
Gene
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
Reviving this one. I just took my second test drive in a different 2012 32' Breeze. I love it BUT, the steering feels weird. It is only about 3 weeks old, so it should have all the latest updates. Every little bump in the road is felt in the steering wheel. I didn't have trouble controlling it, it's just that the stg wheel vibrates with every bump. It feels like "bump steer". I have driven a Vesta and a Serrano. I didn't get the same feeling with either of them. It also still has the slide squeaks. I love everything else about it. I'd love to hear from current owners to see if this is common. Thanks in advance,
Gene
Hello this is not a problem for some reason the factory ships the units with 105 ls of air in the tires and it shakes the unit to pieces - have the dealer drop the tires to the recommended 80-85 lbs and it will ride like any other coach.

Good luck

Mike
Old 09-25-2011, 06:26 AM   #4

Tire pressure was the first thing I thought about. Makes sense, hope that's the problem. Thanks Mike.
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Cthayer5
Hi Mike! I have a question. We are newbie diesel (32 Breeze) owners. We had a Class C gas engine before. In any case, we have had the DPF light on the dash display light up a couple times. I looked it up in the manual and on-line and the only explanation I can find is that it is the Diesel Particulate Filter display. When I look it up online, it talks about "burning the diesel particulate off"...and that this is on the engine instead of having to add the fuel additive that the bigger coaches have. My question: when that light is lit, does that mean it is going through the "burn off"? Or does it mean that we need to do something? The temperature indicator for the DPF does not come on.
Cthayer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:46 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We have Monaco Vesta with the Max Force engine. The dash light (one to the left)comes on momentarily to signal that the particulate function is operating correctly. There are two other lights that come on when driver input is necessary. Failure to adhere to the signal may result in engine shutdown, so read the manual carefully. We have 10,000 miles on engine and dash light has come on a dozen or so times. Have had not driver required actions as of now.
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #7

Cathy....we had the particulate filter light come on 2x...The first time it was solid right away (meaning it was blocked), we pulled over the side of the road, left the engine running and by the time we decided what to do the light went off so it cleared itself..which they say will mostly happen. At this point the hot tail light came on too. Then it went out after we sat and idled to awhile. We later found out that is the wrong thing to do you should keep driving at 50 mph or so, and it will clear.
The second time it came on was when we went from our house to the gas station 1 mile away. When we brought it home we went thru the process of regeneration.
we followed the laminated sheet that we got with the Maxxforce engine booklet. It worked very well. Taking about 40 minutes for the different stages total.
Since then we have gone on a 800+ mile trip and no problem yet (fingers crossed).
Sumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #8

Sumar, We did not get a "laminated sheet". We got a manual but no other info. I'll see if Tiffin can fax that to me, or email it.

Thanks! Ours has come on a couple times when we were climbing mountains, in the Ozarks, on a 106 degree day..it went off in a couple minutes. We kept driving.

Christi
Old 10-03-2011, 05:45 AM   #9

That's originally what I thought it was just a "hot light" but now it seems it comes on when the engine is not even 200 degrees. Are sure we're all talking about the same light where it looks like air blowing on a thermometer and the color is yellow?

Can someone shoot the laminated sheet and share it with us mortals who didn't get one

Thanks

Mike
Old 10-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #10

We have two DPF indicators (I think)...One has air blowing through a filter and one has a thermometer on it. The only one that has come on is the one with the filter. I think it comes on red...but can't remember (it's been a month since it was on for a short time). Any info on these would be appreciated and Yes! a picture of the "laminated sheet" would be most helpful.

Christi
Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #11

Oh, one more point for those with Breeze handling issues: Our alignment fixed the handling issues!! Husband was driving it with ONE hand over last weekend, in the hills of the Ozarks! What a wonderful difference! A special thank you to Tiffin for jumping on this and getting fixed quickly for us.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #12

Sorry guys, I have 2 pictures of the DPF light/instructions to post however cannot figure out how to post them. If you send me your email addresses I will e mail to you.
Unless I can get it to go thru on a pm.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:53 AM   #13

If you can send the images to my email I can post them for you - my email address is :

rotory@earthlink.net

Thanks

Mike
Old 10-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #14

Mike I sent you an e-mail with the pictures.
Thanks, Sue