RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #1

Bug Cleaner

I just had Diamond Shield put on my 2007 Phaeton. The Service Tech recomended using Bug Magic to clean it for bugs. Evidently it is a product made by Diamond Shield and that is the only place you can order it. Kinda expensive with shipping. Has any one used this product and what are your thoughts. Thanks

erhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhall View Post
I just had Diamond Shield put on my 2007 Phaeton. The Service Tech recomended using Bug Magic to clean it for bugs. Evidently it is a product made by Diamond Shield and that is the only place you can order it. Kinda expensive with shipping. Has any one used this product and what are your thoughts. Thanks
This is what I use. It is THE most amazing cloth to remove bugs and, will not harm your Diamondshield or wax. I use Aerospace 303 on mine and this cloth does not effect it. Great product.

Amazon.com - Norwex Kitchen Scrub Cloth - Household Cleaning Wipes And Cloths

Old 05-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
SCAM Alert!

We bought the Diamond Shield when we bought our new Phaeton. My opinion was that it was just a sale for us to buy the windshield insurance (scam). I watched them apply the Diamond shield, they used a microfibre towel, squirted the stuff out of a bottle and rubbed it on just like you would rub wax on your windshield. I had a hard time getting the dealer to relinquish the remainder of the bottle. We were told that the Diamond Shield would help protect windshield nicks.....NOT SO! We've had to get three rock chips repaired....I always ask the glass guy who is doing the repair about the Diamond Shield stuff.....they all say it is nothing but a scam to get your money.

I have since found that a microfibre towel and a synthetic wax (Turtle Synthetic Wax) on the windshield works wonders. It cleans the bugs off easily and leaves a nice sheen that repels water very well.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:25 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use The Solution and a microfiber cloth to get the bus of the factory Diamond Shield. Takes some elbow grease if I let it go a day. I use 303 to make it easier. The combo has worked fine for me.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:28 AM   #5

Anyone else use fabric softener dryer sheets or the liquid mixed with water in a spray bottle? Works well for me.
Cass Sumrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsrf View Post
We bought the Diamond Shield when we bought our new Phaeton. My opinion was that it was just a sale for us to buy the windshield insurance (scam). I watched them apply the Diamond shield, they used a microfibre towel, squirted the stuff out of a bottle and rubbed it on just like you would rub wax on your windshield. I had a hard time getting the dealer to relinquish the remainder of the bottle. We were told that the Diamond Shield would help protect windshield nicks.....NOT SO! We've had to get three rock chips repaired....I always ask the glass guy who is doing the repair about the Diamond Shield stuff.....they all say it is nothing but a scam to get your money.

I have since found that a microfibre towel and a synthetic wax (Turtle Synthetic Wax) on the windshield works wonders. It cleans the bugs off easily and leaves a nice sheen that repels water very well.
Uh, Diamond Shield has nothing to do with the windshield and it is not put on from a bottle. On the Phaeton it is factory applied - CAME WITH IT - and is a mylar sheet that is precut and applied to the front cap below the windshield at the factory.

There are other treatments that are applied to the windshield to supposedly prevent chips, they may indeed be a scam.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:55 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass Sumrall View Post
Anyone else use fabric softener dryer sheets or the liquid mixed with water in a spray bottle? Works well for me.
Tried them all. Often I just use water in a spray bottle and microfiber. That works just fine. Use The Solution when things have had too much time to set up.