Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Buying 2005 Allegro

Looking at buying 2005 40 QDP allegro bus. Will I be happy? :>)
Anything I should look for particularly? Never had a Tiffin, but they look & sound good so far!
Any thoughts will be appreciated.
fishman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2012, 07:17 AM   #2

I think you will be happy except when you fill up with diesel.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #3

We just sold our 2005 Allegro bus that we bought new. Why did we sell it you're probably wondering? Well, simply because we wanted to down size to a sprinter based Class B motorhome. We've had diesel pushers since 1993 ( 3 coaches) and the life style was great. We took really good care of our Bus and it gave us very good service and the customer service at Tiffin absolutely cannot be beat. As RV's go, you'll get a excellent comparative price for it when you sell it.
Check the maintenance records to be sure it's been maintained properly. You'll find the quality of materials excellent, the layout very functional, and the drive and ride outstanding. If it's fairly priced, been maintained and well taken care of both exterior and interior, I'd jump on it.
Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have as I have a "6 year relationship" with the 2005 Bus! Good luck, you'll have a smile on your face driving down the road and pulling into each and every RV park
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
In short, hayle yes! We just purchased a 2006 Allegro Bay gasser...we love it...make sure the fridge (if a Norcold) has been upgraded for the recall.

Things I was told to check are tires, batteries, roof, water damage, roof rail cracks, light bulbs, a/c filters and a/c charge, gen set maintenance...we have not found a single thing wrong with our coach...just take time to walk around slowly and look at everything closely...I missed some missing valve extenders on one set of back wheels.
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRVMan View Post
In short, hayle yes! We just purchased a 2006 Allegro Bay gasser...we love it...make sure the fridge (if a Norcold) has been upgraded for the recall.

Things I was told to check are tires, batteries, roof, water damage, roof rail cracks, light bulbs, a/c filters and a/c charge, gen set maintenance...we have not found a single thing wrong with our coach...just take time to walk around slowly and look at everything closely...I missed some missing valve extenders on one set of back wheels.
I totally agree on the tires. Thanks to TxRVMan for the reminder. My tires looked perfect yet I had a blowout on the highway going 60 mph. Got it pulled to the shoulder OK but it was time--28,000 miles ( which was OK) but going on 7 year old tires ( not OK). If the Bus your buying has the original tires, you need to replace them now. Budget $3,000-$3500 from top line tires like Michelins.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the good news. I'm already smiling just thinking about driving it. A quick question from my better half, " does the pass seat slide up ( ie towards windshield) equally or very close to equal with the drivers seat ?"
Old 03-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks so much for your response. I have a Norcold model 1200. I wonder what the recall was for and if it applied to my model. Also, good advice on the checklist.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
To: RSchleder & TxRVMan,
I Just spoke to an aquaintance who buys & sell Rvs and guess what the first thing he told me. "Be sure to replace the tires ASAP" I said, but its very low mileage, he said ya but they're 7 yrs old and if they've been sitting in 110 degree heat on a black tarred lot - not good!
So thanks again for your good words.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:55 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2005....check the wet bay floor....they have had a problem with them and could be expensive to repair...all though i think Tiffin would take care of it...also there was an over heating problem with them...but again tiffin should work with you on it unless it has been taken care of. Other than that i have really enjoyed mine and have just had the normal problems.
Good luck
Arty13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nothing wrong with a Tiffin product. They make a good coach. Sure you'll read about some complaints now and then but find me a mfr that has not had one. We had some friends that owned a Tiffin and they really liked it. Good luck and hope it all works out.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman33 View Post
Thanks for the good news. I'm already smiling just thinking about driving it. A quick question from my better half, " does the pass seat slide up ( ie towards windshield) equally or very close to equal with the drivers seat ?"
The passenger seat on our Allegro Bay has the same range of motion as the driver's seat, but the entry door is "mid-coach"...not sure with the door at the front how that affects the range of motion.

Can't wait to see some pictures, our dream coach is an Allegro Bus!
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
srh

Newmar Owners Club
I just traded my 06 Phaeton with an 07 Bus. I drov it over 700 miles home last Sunday. All I can say is, I know you will really like it.
I'm so impressed by the Tiffin Service. Every time I have called they have been extremely helpful.
Enjoy, and best of luck!
srh
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
paz

Quote:
...A quick question from my better half, " does the pass seat slide up ( ie towards windshield) equally or very close to equal with the drivers seat ?"
With the entry door of a diesel pusher in front of the passenger seat, the seat will not slide as far forward as the driver's seat. There should be a cover for the steps (either manual or automatic), however, so your wife will have somewhere to put her feet. You may want to build a small, wooden foot rest for added comfort.

Quote:
...I have a Norcold model 1200. I wonder what the recall was for and if it applied to my model...
The recall covers essentially every 12 cu ft Norcold ever made prior to about Oct., 2010. There should be a black box about 1 1/2" square with a red LED on it and several wires coming out of it clipped to the coils on the rear of the fridge if the recall has been done.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #14

Fishman33.
The recall covers ALL Norcold 1200. I still find it strange that there are people that have not heard of the recall.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote