Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #1

Buying New

I've read many, many posts where people talk about the craziness of buying a new RV when so many used are available. I bought a new one back in 2016, put on 30,000 miles, traded it in, and purchased a 2019 Tiffin 34PA. Now I may be in the minority, but I like purchasing a new unit. No, I'm not rich, not even close. But I do like that my tires, refrigerator, furnace, AC Units, and everything else is brand spanking new. I also like to know that my maintence schedule, which I'm strict about, is followed to the letter. Yes, it will have some kinks that need to be worked out, but I know that getting into a new unit. Years from now, when I feel the need to upgrade, I'll probably buy another new RV. This post is in no way putting down anyone that buys used, not at all, it's just whenever I read of a newbie looking to purchase an RV, it seems many steer them toward used. Even when they didn't ask if they should buy new or used. I'm sure there are some that buy new or manufacturers wouldn't be putting out so many new RV's.
Bagelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 04:42 PM   #2

To each his own. The only way buying new makes sense financially is to keep it 12+ years not trade every couple of years. Remember ALL RVs are a depreciating asset, so unless your willing to flush $$$ down the drain keep for a long time or find a different hobby.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #3

Thanks for trying to diss me, but it's not a hobby for me Don, it's a second home. One which I spend about 3 to 4 months living in. I was just trying to point out that for some people, new is the way to go. Perhaps you are right about one thing. If it's a hobby, and you use it occasionally, than used is the way to go! But not for me!
Bagelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #4

I think the suggestion for buying used is because a newbie may not consider all the things regarding buying a unit to suit their needs, so used will allow them to get into a unit and if it is not perfect for them when they start using it or living in it, they can get out without a huge hit. Also, the money saved/value of buying a used unit is hard to beat. Also, preference. I don’t mind a used unit. We are on our first MH and full timing for 7 years. New the unit listed for 300K. Used we paid 90K cash. 7 years later can still probably get 60ish. Not bad IMO. Now I know that there are a few things that I want in my next unit. If my budget is under 200K, for instance, I would MUCH rather have a 10-12 year old 40 foot or more foretravel or 45 foot Newell than what 200K will buy new.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Bagelboy I agree. Both RVs we have owned were bought new. Got or 2018 RED 37PA last May and have had NO, I repeat NO major problems with it. Just some minor cosmetic stuff.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:30 AM   #6

We are buying new in 2020. We bought our camper new. All of our cars have been bought new. We are just "new" people, I want to know that what I am getting is fresh, with warranty, and not been used by anyone else. There are "new" people, and there are people who prefer "used". It is not about right or wrong except for the individual that makes the choice for themselves and what fits their price and lifestyle.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I guess I am a "Used" RV guy. I have bought used ones twice. Saved 50% to 80% over new purchase price. Never had to replace any part that cost of $80 in either unit. My present Tiffin is still covered under warranties. Tiffin replaced items under warranty which is why I will buy another Tiffin when I feel the urge. Right now I am totally happy with our 36LA.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I for one, am very glad some folks always buyin new, as it greatly increases my used selection of coaches to buy from.
Talked with first owner and he shared what he had corrected by a few trips to RB during first year. Glad it was him and not me. No trouble with coach yet.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:51 PM   #9

I see both sides of this topic however, I just bought my 2nd Coach and both new. 1st one was a 2017 Pace Arrow 36 U and this new one 2019 Tiffin 45 OPP Bus. I also call it my second home as it is. Waterfront property if I chose wherever I go and don't pay for taxes on waterfront use. [emoji857] I will keep this one for years as I love it and will use it to its potential. New is nice but yes expensive and depreciates quick but not out to make money on it. Out to see the beauty of our nation and have fun! Stay safe and safe travels!
Canefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #10

I'm right there with you Bagle Boy! I have looked at many used RV's in my time and I can tell you no one keeps up the service on the gray and black water tanks as well as the freshwater. I can see however how someone just getting into it would look at a used RV. You either Love it or Hate it and buying new might not be for everyone especially if you are going to hate it and get rid of it in the first year. With that said I would never buy used.It's not like a car! I want to know where its been and how its been treated.
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
There is no right or wrong when buying. Some like new, some like used. You have to purchase based on your own set of parameters. No one can tell you what's right for you.

The last 3 RV's we bought new. Luckily, we had zero to few issues with any of them. This time around we're buying a 1 owner/gently used/late model Phaeton with a certified NIRVA inspection. I couldn't justify the price of new vs gently used this time.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #12

Everyone has a different take on this subject. We bought used. Fortunately for us, everything new looks cheap inside, even when it’s expensive. So, we got a used one with understated decor, and we have about $200,000 left over to redecorate. It’s probably just going to be window treatments, a sofa recover and some carpet removal. Can’t imagine that’ll take every penny.

There’s another new v used thread where one person bought a new coach in November and has already had it in the shop on 3 separate occasions and needs to schedule a 4th visit. He is pleased with this. Our old coach has been in the shop 4 times in 2 1/2 years. Two of those visits were for routine maintenance.

When we bought it the tires and house batteries were less than 6 months old and it was kept plugged in. I’ve seen new coaches roll off the lot on 3 year old tires. And who knows how the batteries were maintained while it sat on the lot?

We have owners that bought theirs new, 15 years ago, haven’t changed a thing and still love the coach. I would question my judgement I felt it was necessary to buy another coach every 3 years. New or used.

Now, what to do with the rest of that money.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
To each his own. The only way buying new makes sense financially is to keep it 12+ years not trade every couple of years. Remember ALL RVs are a depreciating asset, so unless your willing to flush $$$ down the drain keep for a long time or find a different hobby.
Your correct
But nothing recreational makes sence
Financially at all.
Many people sell a lifetimes worth of Appreciated assets, maybe 40 years worth.
Skip lunch everyday to save 5 dollars for retirement.
Then buy a 400 to 500 thousand dollar coach that they sell ten years latter for 200 thousand dollars.
And are proud of themselves
Retirement and recreation can be quite a challenge.
Good and or bad. ???
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:38 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We are one of those looking to buy used. We have purchased all of our cars new as will. And, we COULD buy new but since this will be our first class A (or B, C, 5th, ...) why lose that first year depreciation, and deal with all the little things that are going to come up? Plus maybe just not like the floor plan, or, Gasp, not like the whole RV life. (I grew up camping. Annually camping for 2 weeks in a big Sears tent. My wife, however, grew up camping in the local hotel. )
However, given the steep discounts off MSRP, lack of used models we are interested in (30-36', DP, less than 5 years old, Ventana or Ventana LE, or Winnebago Forza) we may yet buy new. We have seen some used 10 year models that could have just come from the factory. One 2008 Dutch Star came from the owner to the dealer lot and if there weren't for a few fogged windows, I would have thought it was only a few years old. Seeing used ones that still look that good gives me the confidence that a quality used is a good decision. Now, just to find it.
DRM901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying