Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2018, 06:19 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
CA registration

P
Anyone purchasing an RV out of CA be aware of the following:
I purchased a Tiffin Phaeton 40AH last Sept (2018) from Lazydays RV in Tampa, FL. I was treaded very good and was very happy with their delivery. They registered the coach in Fl with temporary registration until 10-10-2018 as a 2019 year model. All the paper work indicates the coach to be a 2019.
I traveled back to CA via Red Bay at the Tiffin Factory.
When I arrived back in CA, I went to the DMV to register the coach.
CA DMV then told me the coach is a 2018 and not a 2019. I showed them all the paper work, insurance, etc.., all indicating the coach to be a 2019.
I contacted the dealer and Tiffin both telling me it is a 2019. Tiffin even mailed a letter or certificate stating the coach to be a 2019.
Well, CA DMV refused to accept that. They were standing by what the VIN # indicates which in fact indicates 2018.
Well the problem is that the VIN# belongs to the chassy. Tiffin says the chassy is actually an incomplete vehicle. Therefore the coach is to be registered as a 2019 and is sold as such. However, CA does not accept serial # and only goes by VIN #.
Great, I bought a supposed to be 2019 coach and can only register in CA as a 2018. Further, they also want me to pay $12,000.00 for tax and license plares.

So, what to do??? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Guido / Blue Knight
:bangheady
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #2

Now you know why families are fleeing this state by the droves. If DMV does not except Tiffin's documents along with your out of state Registration, your pretty much stuck. They want your money and will take it without even a smile.
A friend bought a low mileage corvette out of state and DMV gave him a very hard time. It wasn't until he wrote a letter to Schwarzenegger, he was able to get some movement. Of course Arnold was a car guy. Moonbeam, not so much.
I know this wasn't helpful, but hope this helps others contemplating a purchase out state.
DMV is merely a collection agency for the state.
convictmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:10 PM   #3

Location: From California currently traveling this great country.
How soon can you relocate ?
poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:10 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go to a good indepentant registration service. I never use the DMV. I use Barbs registration service in Escondido.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #5

Location: From California currently traveling this great country.
OrAAA
poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:55 PM   #6

How long have you lived here? You make it sound like the sales tax was a suprise, yet everyone here knows yo pay the sales tax of your county regardless of where you buy the vehicle, even if you buy a used one from out of state.

Why are you so bent out of shape over 18 vs 19? As an 18 you'll pay less insurance and less for plates.

The DMV doesn't give people a hard time unless you try to put something over on them. They just follow the rules, and my experience (at least in a small town) is that the will explain the rules and point you to the documentation.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:06 PM   #7

They go by the VIN. What else do you think they are going to go by?

The guy down the street just brought the exact motorhome back from the manufacturer last week. I am going to ask him what year model VIN he has.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:29 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Federal rules require the vehicle to be registered by what the completed vehicle manufacturer says the model year is and not by the chassis vin #.
Check the RVIA website for more info and possible help.

Sales/use tax is something to consider when buying a rig. We coughed up over $25,000 to register the CC as a 6 yr old used rig after the trade was deducted.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Federal rules require the vehicle to be registered by what the completed vehicle manufacturer says the model year is and not by the chassis vin #...
CA is famous for ignoring federal laws. why should this be any different.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:15 PM   #10

I learned my lesson on CA DMV when I bought a car from a friend in Arizona. signed did the bill of sale, I drove it back to CA.

The next day I went to the local DMV office and registered it.

The office charged me sales tax - an additional $460 that I didn't expect. It turned out that if my friend had backdated the bill of sale by 91 days or more it would have been tax free.

And if you think Governor Moonbeam was bad just wait until his replacement takes office.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:02 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We had an unusual VIN experience after buying a used Allegro Bus and registering it in CA. I noticed a letter from Tiffin saying the VIN was not correct. Seems that they (Tiffin) had not updated the VIN after the coach was manufactured. There is a VIN for the chassis that is supposed to be updated after the coach has been assembled - only changes a couple of digits.
I was going to go thru the process to update the VIN, but after talking with to the DMV and taking the coach to the local CHP and realizing that the engine ECU would need to be changed as well, I decided to leave things as they are.
No issue with the model year, but now I guess I need to check...
Maybe my coach is a year younger [emoji849]
DFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:17 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
CA Registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Federal rules require the vehicle to be registered by what the completed vehicle manufacturer says the model year is and not by the chassis vin #.
Check the RVIA website for more info and possible help.

Sales/use tax is something to consider when buying a rig. We coughed up over $25,000 to register the CC as a 6 yr old used rig after the trade was deducted.
Yes, indeed so. However, CA does not accept that. They go by VIN# only, which is the Chassy#. The completed coach has a Serial #, and CA does not accept that.
Thanks for the info.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:25 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin provided me with a letter or certificate stating that the VIN# belongs to the Chassy and is an incomplete vehicle. After the RV is complete, Tiffin gives it a serial #. Most DMV's in most states accept the serial #. However, CA does not and goes only by VIN#.
Therefore, the chassy is a 2018 and the completed RV has a serial # for 2019.
My only solutions is to register in another state, but that requires an address.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:31 PM   #14

once again, why is your only solution to register in another state, and why are you so bent out of shape over '18 vs '19?
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote