RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #1

Cable Hookup Help

I really need some help to undo the cable hookup done by Comcast. Comcast was called about a reception issue and unhooked all the cables located behind the cabinet by the front TV. I have a 2014 40 QBH. Comcast replaced the 8way splitter with a 4way splitter. Comcast attaced cables to the splitter, cable in and all four tv's out on the splitter. There are no cables attached to the antennae booster or to the antennae direction box. When I questioned Comcast on not having the antennae routing hooked up, Comcast said I have cable. So, does anybody give me info on the hookup? I attached drawings to help out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180305_130946_001_resized.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	194616   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180305_131036_resized.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	194617  

novi2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know if this will help or not, but here's a simplified diagram of how Tiffin connects the TVs. If yours has straight HDMI cables instead of the Cat6 conversion, then the hookup is still basically the same with HDMI replacing the Cat6.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AV-Schematic-1Rcvr.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	194632  

'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:17 PM   #3

Thanks. It is a start. I don't have an A/B switch. Where does the antennae 360 View directional power box hookup.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #4

Hello Novi2some,
8 way splitter? There must be 4 more TV cables loose? These maybe hookups for a DVR or a TV recorder? If not, then having 4 TV would only require a 4 way splitter - i.e. 1 input and 4 output. The 1 input cable must come from the antenna switch cable - which switches between the cable system of the coach and the OTA (over the air) antenna on top of your coach.
It sound like they hooked up the cable box directly into the splitter? This is OK until you leave and return their cable box. You will need to hook up the original cable hookup into this.
I also see another issue with this hookup. The cable box outputs its signal via a TV cable on either channel 3 or 4. This requires each TV channel be on one of these channels. What ever is on the cable box, then the TV's follow it. You cannot simply turn to channels individually on each TV. One hooked up, you need to rescan each TV on the antenna option. You will see the signal on either channel 3 or 4 then.
Best Regards Dutch Master
2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3960, Spartan Chassis, ISL 400HP, 2014 Chevy Captiva

l
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by novi2some View Post
Thanks. It is a start. I don't have an A/B switch. Where does the antennae 360 View directional power box hookup.
The antenna control box will go between the Cable/Antenna switch and the roof antenna. There should be a jumper from the switch to the control box, then a coax out to the roof antenna.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:40 PM   #6

I have called Tiffin Service asking for schematics/drawings of the cable hookup. They said there are no drawings available. Strange. When I had a Fleetwood Bounder, drawings for just about everything was available and free. I just asked and it was e-mailed to me. I wish Tiffin was like Fleetwood. I am surprised aout this.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:14 AM   #7

Quote:
I have called Tiffin Service asking for schematics/drawings of the cable hookup. They said there are no drawings available. Strange. When I had a Fleetwood Bounder, drawings for just about everything was available and free. I just asked and it was e-mailed to me. I wish Tiffin was like Fleetwood. I am surprised aout this.
I was going to draw up a diagram for you but was wondering what you was referring to with the attached drawing. You have it marked Ant. Also, do you have the HD view 360 antenna?
Attached Images

Gaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:11 AM   #8

I do have the HD View 360 control box. That is the antennae direction box in the sketch. The ant box in the sketch is the antennae booster box.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #9

Quote:
I do have the HD View 360 control box. That is the antennae direction box in the sketch. The ant box in the sketch is the antennae booster box.
Ok, so this antenna booster box, do you have a model number? I want to see if this box is also being used as a combiner since you had mentioned you don't have a OTA/Cable switch.

Do your TV's just have a coax cable running to them?

You mentioned Comcast replaced the 8 way splitter with a 4 way splitter; did they leave the 8 way?

Any other equipment in this cabinet with the cables you described?
Old 03-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #10

novi2some,

Going with what you have in your diagrams I came up with the attached diagram. As noted in my previous response I'm assuming the booster is also a combiner, please read that post.

The diagram I attached is not accounting for one of the cables. The cable you have marked as "Sat ground" I'm assuming is the input for connection of a portable dish which is sometimes located in the wet bay area . I would think this cable, if my assumption is correct, would be ran to the back of the coach where the dish receiver is located. Please let me know if I'm missing something.

I hope this is a good start for you..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Antenna.pdf (9.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #11

in the outside storage bin, there is two hookups. One is for cable and the other is for portable dish. I did find a couple of loose cables with no name tags on them. The drawing pdf is a start. Now I would need to know where the cable for the portable dish goes.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #12

Quote:
in the outside storage bin, there is two hookups. One is for cable and the other is for portable dish. I did find a couple of loose cables with no name tags on them. The drawing pdf is a start. Now I would need to know where the cable for the portable dish goes.
Ok, let me ask again;

1. Ok, so this antenna booster box, do you have a model number?

2. Do your TV's just have a coax cable running to them?

3. You mentioned Comcast replaced the 8 way splitter with a 4 way splitter; did they leave the 8 way? Is there anything else they removed?

4. Any other equipment in this cabinet with the cables you described?

Also, is my assumption correct in thinking your satellite receiver is in the back of the coach?

What was the process/procedure you went thru to change from watching OTA channels to satellite channels?
Old 03-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #13

1. Ok, so this antenna booster box, do you have a model number?

Winegard SensarPro signal meter has same hookups as RV wall plate
power supply.

2. Do your TV's just have a coax cable running to them?

Coax only to tv.

3. You mentioned Comcast replaced the 8 way splitter with a 4 way splitter;
did they leave the 8 way? Is there anything else they removed?

Comcast took the 8 way splitter. Nothing else was replaced or taken by
Comcast

4. Any other equipment in this cabinet with the cables you described?

No other equipment in this cabinet.

Also, is my assumption correct in thinking your satellite receiver is in the back of the coach?

Satellite receiver is in the bedroom cabinet with the DVD player.

What was the process/procedure you went thru to change from watching OTA channels to satellite channels?

To watch satellite on any of the 4 TV's, you use the "Input" button on the remote.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:21 PM   #14

We are definitely missing something here.

The drawing I created for you doesn't have anything to do with your satellite. You stating that you only have a coax going to your TV's so I'm wondering how are your TV's getting satellite channels.

It's possible that the cable marked "Sat ground" is not what I think it is or possibly it's a spare cable in the event a receiver is installed in that cabinet? I don't know.

With all these cables disconnected in the front cabinet have you tried to get a satellite channel on any of the TV's?

Tags
cable