RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
To try to be very clear about this, both Progressive and SurgeGuard sell significantly less expensive devices that are just surge suppressors. The indiscriminate use of that term to apply to both surge suppressors and EMS's can be very confusing to people for whom all of this is new information.

If you want any evidence of this, you ought to spend some time on the Facebook RV groups where the overall knowledge level is significantly less than on these forums. There the confusion between surge suppressors and EMS's runs rampant!
Yep, that's why I said they were Brand names that sold Many different devices.

I deliberately stay away from those facebook pages. That's why I attempt to teach the newbies the difference. I just wish I had more help here.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
If you all want to really throw acronyms in the mix, both my previous Bounder & my Phaeton had units called EMS's already installed. In the Bounder, it was Intellitec & in the Phaeton it's the Spyder system. Both are designed to shed loads to keep within the incoming amps ratings. Most useful when on 30A or less.

So when talking about EMS's, one has to differentiate between the after market ones & the ones that can come installed as OEM by the factory.

As I stated prior, I would not plug any RV I own into a campground's power (or even into the power where I store it) without having a PI (either hard-wired or portable) to protect my investment. This Phaeton is 10x more complicated with sophisticated electronics than our 06 Bounder was. All it takes is one mis-wired/low or high voltage/open ground...etc. instance & all that fancy stuff in my coach could be fried in the blink of an eye.

Lori-

NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
If you all want to really throw acronyms in the mix, both my previous Bounder & my Phaeton had units called EMS's already installed. In the Bounder, it was Intellitec & in the Phaeton it's the Spyder system. Both are designed to shed loads to keep within the incoming amps ratings. Most useful when on 30A or less.

So when talking about EMS's, one has to differentiate between the after market ones & the ones that can come installed as OEM by the factory.

As I stated prior, I would not plug any RV I own into a campground's power (or even into the power where I store it) without having a PI (either hard-wired or portable) to protect my investment. This Phaeton is 10x more complicated with sophisticated electronics than our 06 Bounder was. All it takes is one mis-wired/low or high voltage/open ground...etc. instance & all that fancy stuff in my coach could be fried in the blink of an eye.

Lori-
I was waiting for one of those to show up. What you had were load shedding systems. Not an EMS protection system as we know it. it simply shut things off in your RV to keep it from drawing too many amps. EMS as we know it shuts the power off because of High or low voltage. The EMS in you coach could not to that. It is all very confusing and it should not be. Many people buy thing they don't need or don't understand what they bought.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:06 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Dan

I have no idea what he's talking about. I have a HW50 PI unit with our Surge Guard transfer switch and it's perfectly compatible. The PI will not interfere with the transfer switch at all and is just a first line of defense.

I thought our Tiffin had a pretty good surge suppressor that came with our Bus. Not so? Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:40 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkorn View Post
I thought our Tiffin had a pretty good surge suppressor that came with our Bus. Not so? Jeff
Yes, the one built into the coach's transfer switch has limited surge suppression and the newer ones have power management which totally depends on which model of transfer switch you have. However, think of an added unit as a first line of defense. If you take a surge hit what would you rather burn out, an EMS like the PI that can be bypassed or your transfer switch? The PI will tell you if a pedestal is mis-wired or under powered before power goes to the coach.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:51 PM   #20
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I hate to say it but anyone who actually understood anything about electricity would have known that the PI EMS system wouldn't be "incompatible" with the functions of the transfer switch. Surge suppressors in series simply act independently to reduce the magnitude of a voltage spike. The PI device can shut off power if it detects low voltage, high voltage, reversed polarity, etc. Since the OP's transfer switch can't do any of those things there would be no interference between the two devices.

Unfortunately, my experience has been that most RVIA-qualified techs have only a rudimentary understanding electricity. Enough to wire simple circuits, but not a real understanding of more complex concepts, such as an understanding of transients as would be relevant to power line surges. This is not to demean techs who can't be expected to know what they're not required to know. But neither should they give advice they're not qualified to give.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:34 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I was waiting for one of those to show up. What you had were load shedding systems. Not an EMS protection system as we know it. ...
I know. Take the labeling up with Intellitec. That's how they label it & that's how I referred to it in the Bounder.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ems.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	246128  
Old 05-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Dan, so what model did you use. I sell and maintain computer systems so I know all about surge protection.
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkorn View Post
Dan, so what model did you use. I sell and maintain computer systems so I know all about surge protection.
I use the Progressive Industries HW50C hard wired into the coach with remote display. This is a unit designed specifically for RVs.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #24
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I use the Progressive Industries HW50C hard wired into the coach with remote display. This is a unit designed specifically for RVs.
X2; it's not the easiest thing to install with the large gauge wires, but I got it done!
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:38 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I can tell you, it sure went a lot easier this time around. 1. Because Dave's done it 3x before (1x before with a 50a unit). 2. The bay it went in was large enough to maneuver in.

In the Bounder, I had to take out 4 wardrobe drawers, Dave had to lay on his side reaching in through the drawer frames/rails in about 10" of space between the bed & the openings, then reach down into where the transfer case was. Doing this in the Phaeton was a piece of cake.

Lori-
Old 05-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #26

My Winnabego cam with a Surge Gard Transfer switch, but it was a limited model that only had Surge protectin. When my transfer switch went bad I replaced it with a Surge Giard combo Transfer switch and full EMS.

TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote