RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Carpet

I have an 05 Bus...has anyone replaced the Carpet in the front area, and if so, what is involved?

Thanks
Ron

Arty13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Arty 13 I wouldn't know how you would replace the carpet. i just want to hello to a fellow Redleg. So have a nice day.

Bravo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #3

Replacing carpet

Arty,

I replaced carpet in my entire 37' Jayco fiver a few years ago. If you have to go under slides, it is quite a task. First, forget about getting that ultra-plush stuff, it is too thick and a slide won't go over it properly. Also, use the thin padding under your existing carpet to get the same thickness or you will battle the same issues with slides. Try to match the original nap. I didn't understand why they used such seemingly thin carpet in the fiver until I started carrying the thinnest stuff I could get to match from a carpet store. As thin as it was, I still added about 50 lb. And in a trailer, weight is paramount.

Since slides are the biggest issue, I will assume you have to carpet under them. I will focus on the most difficult--the surface slide that doesn't go flush. You shouldn't have to remove them, but it will be a dog of a job whether you do or not. Slides are loose enough at the top that you can build up supports underneath them at each end (sawhorses will work, but the height must work out). With the slide fully extended outward, use a bottle jack on each support and under each end of the slide and raise the slide to fully compress the upper seal. Be sure to spread the load out with some boards under the slide. Then remove the lower rubber lip seal. This should leave you about an inch of clear visibility into the room. The carpet will extend out under the slide and wrap around the outside framing and be glued and/or stapled to the outside edge. You will probably have to cut it up into various pieces to get it out. Once your room is clear of the old carpet and vacuumed clean, position your new carpet so that it will extend and reach all sides and corners and be sure that it will reach outside under the slide. I stapled the padding so it wouldn't slide around.

I put my carpet down with a pneumatic Bostitch 7/32" narrow crown stapler using mostly 5/8" long staples and 3/4" in some places. Installing is pretty much like doing a room in your house. I laid the nap in the same direction as the original. If you are going under a slide, you want the carpet tight enough to pick a tune so that your slide won't bunch it up. It has to remain flat and tight. the first part that I attached was the part outside under the slide, pulling it around the corner and down with the same overlap as the original (about 1-1/2"), gluing it with construction cement (might be something better--it worked fine for me) and stapling it with twice as many staples as I thought it needed. Then reattached the lip seal. After that, I used a carpet kicker and stretched the carpet across the opposite side of the room to get it forevermore tight. Then I worked away from the slide area toward the front and rear, trimming carefully and stapling around the edges. If you part the knap slightly, the staples won't be visible. Different slides present different issues. The slide I described above was a surface type that did not drop flush. The flush slide required a lot of disassembly of the framing on the floor. Since the piece that goes in the slide had a seamed edge facing the center of the room, I cut it to size and had a carpet shop sew on the edge. Also had them make a couple of throw rugs from the scrap to use by the entrance.

It took the better part of two weekends and five late nights during the week. I had three slides and steps up to the upper deck (a fifth wheel camper). I jazzed up the steps with carpet rods for a touch of class. It is one big job, but sure looks great when it's done.

Good luck and may God bless,
--Rick
Higherground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:53 AM   #4
paz

Ever think about replacing the carpet with wood flooring? All the newer Tiffins have all tile in front (vinyl in the Allegro and Allegro Bay and ceramic in the Phaeton and Bus). You can use area rugs, which are easier to clean and can be easily be replaced when they get too bad.

The wood would be easier to do than ceramic tile (you need the proper base and the proper grout to prevent the grout from cracking), and with wood you wouldn't have to try to match your existing tile. The wood would also be easier to get under the slides than carpet. You would need to remove the existing carpet, shim those areas up to the level of the tile (minus the thickness of the wood flooring) with the proper thickness of sub-flooring, and install the floating wood floor.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
That thin pad does not have the density as some new good pad. If you go back with carpet, get some 8 pound density pad- same thickness as old pad. And its best not to exceed the height of original carpet. The OEM material is probably not as dense as the material that is at a good retail carpet store. Engineered wood, glued down is another option. Lumber Liquidators has an excellent selection. pm me if you need more guidence. I know about all this stuff
Old 03-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #6

wood instead of carpet

Paz, Ernie, wish I had thought of wood before I put all that carpet in my fiver years ago. That was a bear of a job, used half the tools in my shop and a few others. I wouldn't do it again on a bet or a threat. Hardest job was finding the cheap, thin carpet. Couldn't find that gauze-thin pad and had to use the old stuff. Can you really put down wood so it will stay with all the flexing of a coach? Seems like it would spring up and fly across the room.

But I don't have any re-finishing plans. Got a 2010 Allegro Bus on order, 43 QGP. Lordy! Shouldn't have to re-floor it for a while. This is going to be quite a change from a fiver.
--Rick
Higherground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #7

Rick, with the new adhesives out, we can make wood stick anywhere. These adhesives are pricey. What you will not get from these are the popping and clicking sounds of cheap adhesives. Just don't ask me to take this stuff up.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:26 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I should of clarified my post...what i wanted to do was put tile down in place of carpet...but was told if i did that...or use any thing in place of carpet...i would have to modify the slide which would be very expensive???
Old 03-20-2010, 06:48 AM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty13 View Post
I should of clarified my post...what i wanted to do was put tile down in place of carpet...but was told if i did that...or use any thing in place of carpet...i would have to modify the slide which would be very expensive???
Not sure what you would have to modify on the slide. The slide has rollers on the bottom, and as long as the wood was at the proper level for the roller, I don't see what the problem would be. If you're serious about trying wood, you might call Tiffin (256-356-8661 or 1-800-283-3922) and ask them what to watch out for. The factory has technicians who offer over-the-phone help, or you might try Wade Humphries at the repair facility at x 3204.

There are also Tiffin employees and former employees who do after-hours work in Red Bay, AL. Several of them do carpet and tile work. PM me if you want phone numbers.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:39 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I spoke to Brannon...who use to work for Tiffin....and has a good reputation....is the one who told me about the slide and i didn't investigate any further...guess i will call Tiffin and see what their take on the matter is. Thanks for the information
Old 03-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty13 View Post
I spoke to Brannon...who use to work for Tiffin....and has a good reputation....is the one who told me about the slide and i didn't investigate any further...guess i will call Tiffin and see what their take on the matter is. Thanks for the information
I would be interested in learning what you find out. A while back I considered replacing our carpet with wood, but I didn't want to add the extra weight, especially since our carpet is still good. However, I am interested in what the problems might be if I ever change my mind.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #12

I believe adding wood- the weight would be the equilivent of adding one person as a passenger-- but the weight would be distributed evenly.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:42 AM   #13
paz

Arty, there is another thread here discussing installing wood flooring. There may be some information you can use, or maybe you can PM someone who has installed wood to get more details. There are comments regarding wood thickness and how it may alter the fit of the slide, but it all seems to come down to trying to get the same thickness as the existing carpet. Keep in mind the rollers on the slide will compress the carpet and pad, but not the wood.