Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2016, 06:16 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Carrying grandkids on trip

How do you carry your grand kids on trips. I will be on a short trip this week with a 10 year old and a 4 year old. The 10 year old will not be a problem. Do I strap the 4 year old in a booster seat, etc. Not sure what everyone does. She would be a holly terror riding in the booster seat on the motorhome.
shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We had seat belts added to the dinette booth so we could use a forward facing car seat.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We've got slide out trays in both the pass thru basement storage compartments. The trays say they're good for 700 lbs each. If you use a little duct tape and Velcro - you'll find the kids will stay right where you left 'em!
Old 08-08-2016, 08:22 PM   #4

We always have our (3) grandsons sit on the sofa, which has 3 seat belts. The youngest used to be strapped in his car seat. But, now that he's older we use his booster seat.
PapaBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
How you strap them in will be based on the laws for the state you are in. I would think a 4 year old will require a car seat of some sort. It is usually an age and weight requirement that makes the determination.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:08 AM   #6

The parents are supplying the kids so it is reasonable to expect the parents to supply the booster seat - and the written guarantee that the kids are properly seatbelt trained.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:14 AM   #7

We never take more than two at a time so the seatbelt in the sofa are fine.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:08 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We are horrible. We took 3grandkids to Disney last summer ages 12, 9 and 6 and didn't strap a one of them in. We have plenty of seat belts but we didn't insist they use them. They were well behaved and stayed put. I guess I'm stuck in the 60s and traveling with my parents, the old days. I don't see where a Freightliner chassis is a whole lot different than a school bus. I do believe if their parents had insisted, we would have enforced the seat belt rule.

No matter where you go, there you are.- Buckaroo Bonsai -RV Forum
Old 08-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
We've got slide out trays in both the pass thru basement storage compartments. The trays say they're good for 700 lbs each. If you use a little duct tape and Velcro - you'll find the kids will stay right where you left 'em!
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
This may well be THE post of 2016!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Old 08-11-2016, 10:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSueW View Post
We are horrible. We took 3grandkids to Disney last summer ages 12, 9 and 6 and didn't strap a one of them in. We have plenty of seat belts but we didn't insist they use them. They were well behaved and stayed put. I guess I'm stuck in the 60s and traveling with my parents, the old days. I don't see where a Freightliner chassis is a whole lot different than a school bus. I do believe if their parents had insisted, we would have enforced the seat belt rule.

No matter where you go, there you are.- Buckaroo Bonsai -RV Forum
And, after all, what's the worst that could happen, right?

[Moderator Edit]
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:23 PM   #12

Think a 4-year old is required to be in a car seat in most states. OTOH, I think most MH seat belts, other than the driver/passenger seats, are not well anchored.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:05 PM   #13

Please don't take my word but: I do not believe the seat belt law applies to the home (back) portion of the motorhome. Passengers in the cab must wear belts. I also do not believe there have been any published studies on the safety of a seat belt in the back of a motorhome. What happens when a seat belt is applied to a person sitting facing the side? When the kids and now grandkids ride with us, when they were 4 they would be in carseats for comfort. At 7, they are told to sit. I also believe in the rule of the luggnuts. The vehicle with the most luggnuts wins. JMHO, totally my humble opinion.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:16 AM   #14
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSueW View Post
. I don't see where a Freightliner chassis is a whole lot different than a school bus.
The chassis may be similar, but the seating is not. School bus seats are all facing forward. They are a specific distance from the seat in front of them. The seat backs are a specific height. The seat back in front of each occupant is part of the protection. Etc., etc.

Here is a link to an article by the American School Bus Council.

Why don't school buses have seat belts? - American School Bus Council
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote