RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #1

CB Antenna on Allegro Bus 2009

Just installed new CB on 2009 Bus and swr on the factory installed antenna is off the scale, just courious if anyone else had this problem.

acopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You generally have to tune the antenna. What type antenna do you have?

Ken

Old 05-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #3

CB Antenna

its made by Magnadyne, its not a tuning issue, its either open cable connection or defective loading coil in the antenna. I'm in the commerical 2-way industry for past 30 years and tested it with a direct reading wattmeter. Its not a big issue I was just wondering if anyone else had experenced this. Rig is going back for few warranty issues next week and i'll just add this to the list.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #4

Have an 09 Bus with factory installed CB. I think the range in it might reach the length of the motorhome...hehehehe

Would suspect the SWR is out of sight on my rig as well. Don't have a meter to read it but with the antenna mounted on a fiberglass roof. I don't believe I would be getting much reflection from that system.
wagon217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #5

Fiberglass roof with no ground plane is a problem for sure, it is a loaded coil type antenna. I'll do some more checking and report back what the solution is. I do have a feeling that its just the Magnadyne antenna design being rotten. Don't have much faith in those products.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several owners have changed the antennas to Fire Stix NGP antennas with better success.

Ken
Old 05-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Several owners have changed the antennas to Fire Stix NGP antennas with better success.

Ken
Thanks Ken, you are absolutely correct. For an Antenna to work correctly, it has to have a ground plane, such as the metal on a car or truck. Since the Motorhome is Fiberglass, it has no means of reflection unless you use a NGP Anenna system, which uses the COAX LEAD as a means of reflection. They work great, as I have the antenna you spoke of, FIRESTIK 4' NGP ANTENNA, which has a tunable tip on the Antenna, and mine has across 40 channels, about 1.3 SWR, can't ask for anything more than that. Firestik has this assy for less than $50.00 which comes with a really neat M-2 SIDE MOUNT. You need @ least 2/3rds. of the Antenna above the roof line. If you want to talk on your CB, this is what you need.
Good Luck,
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:29 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
On our 2008 Bus, I had an off scale ( > 3.0) SWR on my Astiatic SWR/Mod/Pwr meter. You're right in that a reading that high usually is caused something other than tuning, particularly when the channel 1 and 40 are both off scale.

In my case, the antenna mount wasn't properly tightened to the roof mounting plate. Tiffin uses a through the roof mount and puts the antenna right above the drivers seat. I'm not sure what's inside the mount, and I couldn't get to the back side of the mount, but I was able to go on the roof of the coach and snug up the antenna mount at which point, the SWR came down to just under 2, then tuning the length brought it down to a very reasonable 1.2.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #9

I changed my antenna to a firestick with a tuneable tip and with an export radio running about 45W I get 1.3-1.4 SWR on mine now.
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #10

Hi all. About the time that this question was raised I was on the phone to Tech support in Red Bay. I asked them about the "no ground" antenna for fiberglass applications. They said Tiffin bolts the mount thru the fiberglass into the steel frame of the coach. He also said there is a 9/16 nut under the "goop' that is the swr adjuster. That said, I proceded to adjust the swr and could only manage 8!!! Tried another antenna and found my coil was bad and no one has a replacement. Wound up with a tuneable Firestik II and got swr to 2. If I have any more trouble, I'm going to a "no ground" type.
enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #11

"no ground" (as in electrical grounding - bolted to steel frame member) and "no ground plane" (as in wave reflectivity off of a metal surface) are two very different things in antenna dynamics. FireStiks are designed to overcome the "no ground plane" problem of fiberglass RVs.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo View Post
Hi all. About the time that this question was raised I was on the phone to Tech support in Red Bay. I asked them about the "no ground" antenna for fiberglass applications. They said Tiffin bolts the mount thru the fiberglass into the steel frame of the coach. He also said there is a 9/16 nut under the "goop' that is the swr adjuster. That said, I proceded to adjust the swr and could only manage 8!!! Tried another antenna and found my coil was bad and no one has a replacement. Wound up with a tuneable Firestik II and got swr to 2. If I have any more trouble, I'm going to a "no ground" type.
Read my earlier post and you will solve your problems. Remember, SWR is for STANDING WAVE RESISTANCE, plainly put, if you got 5 watts going out with SWR of 2, that leaves you a net strength of 3, fairly simple. Good Luck,
David G.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #13

Actually SWR = Standing Wave RATIO which is the RATIO (not subtractive) of maximum voltage or current to minimum voltage or current. FireStik has an excellent writeup on testing your setup starting with electrical continuity before SWR. http://www.firestik.com/Meas-SWR.htm

Severe geekoid science content follows for even more detail.......

Every antenna and every antenna feed-line have a characteristic impedance, or opposition to electrical current. In an ideal situation, the impedances of line and antenna match perfectly, and 100 percent of the electrical energy sent to the antenna is converted to radio energy and radiated into the atmosphere. In a less than ideal case, when the impedances aren't perfectly matched, some of the electrical energy sent to the antenna won't be converted to radio energy, but will be reflected back down the feed-line. The energy reflecting back from the antenna causes standing waves of electrical energy in the feed-line. (An example of standing waves outside the electronics world is found in river rapids. When water passes around and between boulders it may form a wave that doesn't go up or down the river, it just stays in one place. That is a standing wave of water.) The ratio of highest voltage on the line to lowest is the standing wave ratio. In the perfectly matched system, the SWR is 1:1.

To tune an antenna, use an SWR meter attached between the transmitter and antenna feed-line. Depending on the meter, you can either use a button on the meter to generate a signal on the various channels, or key the microphone on the CB transceiver to generate a signal while you look at the SWR reading. In general, if the SWR never goes above 1.5:1, you're in good shape. If the SWR does go above 1.5:1, then watch the meter on different frequencies to see the trend develop: The SWR will be greater either on the higher channels or the lower. If the SWR is greater on the lower channels, then try gradually lengthening the antenna by moving it in the base. If the SWR is greater on the higher channels, try shortening the antenna.

Do be aware that the electrical ground of the antenna, the structure around the antenna and any other antennas near the CB antenna can all affect the antenna's impedance and the SWR. There are enough variables that tuning an antenna blends art and science, but your equipment and radio contacts will all be grateful if you take the time to tune up.

From http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question490.htm
Old 05-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Alan,
Who ever thought there was so much REDERICK about a radio. I'm not a Rocket Scientist, nor did I stay @ the Holiday Inn last night, but I can probably help you with your radio if necessary. I bought my 1st radio in 1961, so PM me if needed. Good Luck