Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 09:04 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ceramic floor scuffs and polish from slide rollers

Has anyone tried to polish or buff the marks off of the floor tile that are a result of the rollers from the slides wearing when the slides are in and the little bit of movement as you travel down the road etches into the high gloss finish of the tile?
I haven't tried to polish the marks yet and thought I would ask here in case someone knows that it can't be done.
Thanks for any insight.
Mbe111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2019, 08:45 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Floor scuffs from slide rollers

Has anyone tried to polish/buff the marks etched into the floor tile caused by the rollers from the slides as you travel on the road? Our Phaeton has shiny polished tile and is showing track marks that are revealed after the slides are extended. We have only 10,000 miles on the coach, I imagine at 20,000 miles the marks will look twice as bad.
Yes we try to keep the floor clean and pay attention to see that the rollers look clean.
If I can polish the marks out and then use some sort of roller protection mat while opening and closing the slides maybe I can keep it looking like new.
I thought I would ask on this forum before I made things worse by using the wrong polish or buffer.
Thanks for any thoughts about trying to keep it looking like new!
Old 09-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy small sheets of 1/8" plexiglass to put down where the rollers are marring the floor!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We use thin, hard plastic place mats that we bough at Walmart for $0.89 each. Put them down before retracting the slides. No more scraches!
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:47 PM   #5

If you can run your fingernail over the scratches and "feel" them, they are probably too deep to polish out.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:16 PM   #6

Vinyl plank flooring. Stick 2 pieces to each other. Repeat for desired number to put on floor where rollers roll when moving slide in.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #7

Magic Erasers do a good job of getting the black out.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:06 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbe111 View Post
Has anyone tried to polish/buff the marks etched into the floor tile caused by the rollers from the slides as you travel on the road? Our Phaeton has shiny polished tile and is showing track marks that are revealed after the slides are extended. We have only 10,000 miles on the coach, I imagine at 20,000 miles the marks will look twice as bad.
Yes we try to keep the floor clean and pay attention to see that the rollers look clean.
If I can polish the marks out and then use some sort of roller protection mat while opening and closing the slides maybe I can keep it looking like new.
I thought I would ask on this forum before I made things worse by using the wrong polish or buffer.
Thanks for any thoughts about trying to keep it looking like new!
Thanks for those ideas, but has anyone tried to polish out the marks that I have now? I will use some sort of plastic sheeting after I get the marks out.
I am looking for a tool and type of polish that has worked for others.
Thank you
Old 09-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
Magic Erasers do a good job of getting the black out.
What is a "Magic Eraser"?? I see where they are mentioned on some other posts that I have looked at, but don't know where to find one.
Thank you
Old 09-23-2019, 07:40 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
They're called Mr Clean Magic Erasers. You can find them in any grocery store in the cleaning supplies aisle, usually with the sponges. My grocery has their own generic brand that does just as good as the higher priced Mr. Clean branded ones. They come in pkgs of erasers or now in sheets you tear off.

I use them on our Phaeton. Thank goodness our rollers don't dig into the ceramic tiles, but they do leave slight scuffs on them now & again. I quick wipe with the dampened eraser & the scuffs are gone.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mrclean.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	261274  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #11

I use the magic eraser as well. As far as buffing the existing scratches, you need a Dremel tool with a cloth or felt polishing wheel. Dremel will also have a polishing paste to polish the scratches out. It may take some time but it’s pretty simple to do. I use 4 inch wide blue masking tape on the floor. I have learned where to put the tape down and it’s just become part of my departure routine. It take about 30 seconds to put down or take up and it leave no adhesive residue on the floor.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
They're called Mr Clean Magic Erasers. You can find them in any grocery store in the cleaning supplies aisle, usually with the sponges. My grocery has their own generic brand that does just as good as the higher priced Mr. Clean branded ones. They come in pkgs of erasers or now in sheets you tear off.

I use them on our Phaeton. Thank goodness our rollers don't dig into the ceramic tiles, but they do leave slight scuffs on them now & again. I quick wipe with the dampened eraser & the scuffs are gone.

Lori-

Best cleaning product out there. First one I bought that actually works as advertised. So many uses and it magically removes marks that nothing else will.

Tags
floor, slide