RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 3
chair crash

Has anyone else had a problem with their swivel reclining euro chair ? Yesterday I sit down to put my shoes on, as I do every mourning, heard a noise and found myself on the floor. I know I am over weight, but any chair should be able to support 200 pounds. I called Tiffin, and was told it only has a one year warranty, and my motorhome is two years old, but they could order a base for me and it would be $498.99. I was stunned by the price.of course it has to come all the way from China. In 2012 the chair was an option, and I don't think the hole chair cost much more than that. The base is what broke and upon inspection, it is made out of two pieces of wood that are put together with glue and five 3/8" button head screws. The glue was used way to sparingly. The only tag on the chair is just saying made in China, no manufacturer name. I asked tiffin for the name, but have not heard a thing back. I have less than 7000 miles on this coach and am very close to cutting my losses and dumping it. I have owned motor homes since 1979 and have never seen such shoddy workmanship.In my lifetime I have never had a chair crumble under me.
__________________

deray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
adonh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Missouri City, TX
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by deray View Post
Has anyone else had a problem with their swivel reclining euro chair ? Yesterday I sit down to put my shoes on, as I do every mourning, heard a noise and found myself on the floor. I know I am over weight, but any chair should be able to support 200 pounds. I called Tiffin, and was told it only has a one year warranty, and my motorhome is two years old, but they could order a base for me and it would be $498.99. I was stunned by the price.of course it has to come all the way from China. In 2012 the chair was an option, and I don't think the hole chair cost much more than that. The base is what broke and upon inspection, it is made out of two pieces of wood that are put together with glue and five 3/8" button head screws. The glue was used way to sparingly. The only tag on the chair is just saying made in China, no manufacturer name. I asked tiffin for the name, but have not heard a thing back. I have less than 7000 miles on this coach and am very close to cutting my losses and dumping it. I have owned motor homes since 1979 and have never seen such shoddy workmanship.In my lifetime I have never had a chair crumble under me.
I am not sure what type chair you have but there a lots listed on the internet with a search for Euro recliner such as this.

Palliser Leather Swivel Recliner and Ottoman Sets

There are some over a $1,000 and some below $500 on other hits.
__________________

__________________
Don
2003 Forest River Cardinal Platinum 37' 5th Wheel
1976 31' Airstream
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
brobox's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 21,066
Can the chair be repaired? Maybe a cabinet shop?
__________________
Chuck in SW FL
A "Digital" 2019 Cornerstone "B"
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
WiFiRanger Ambassador
 
docj's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,310
You shouldn't expect a MH manufacturer to use a really quality chair. I sure wouldn't pay to repair what you have. These are a lot more expensive, but they don't break: Leather Recliner Chairs | Scandinavian Comfort Chairs | Recliners
__________________
Joel Weiss--WiFiRanger RV Ambassador
RVParkReviews administrator
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 3
chair crash

I found a furniture repair shop, that said they can make another base, or they may be able to find a metal base that will work.I hate to through the chair away, as it is a nice leather chair.
Dennis
deray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
WiFiRanger Ambassador
 
docj's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by deray View Post
.I hate to through the chair away, as it is a nice leather chair.
Most likely it's Ultraleather or one of its competitors, not real leather.
__________________
Joel Weiss--WiFiRanger RV Ambassador
RVParkReviews administrator
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
texnet's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 1,383
Mine is wearing out... and I have been looking at getting one of these.

Deluxe Black Vinyl Swivel Chaise Wall Hugger Recliner by Coaster 600229 | eBay
__________________
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex
http://www.ronniesphotos.com

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
wa8yxm's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 24,023
I am about 300 pounds (Just dropped below, You do not want to do it the way I did, trust me).

Wife (About 250) Used the euro chair. And she did the same thing.. The king pin snapped like a pencil.

I had a fabricator carve me a new one out of genuine good stuff (US STEEL) instead of that made in some other country I won't name stuff.

Of course she then crashed the jeep, totaling both it and herself.. So now the chair is a storage shelf.
__________________
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
SCS
Senior Member
 
SCS's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mesquite NV
Posts: 103
I inspected ours and found two bolts, loose, one fell completely out the other in by a thread. Closer inspection I found tow missing screws on the arm rests.
__________________
2013 Tiffin 34TGA
2012 Jeep Wrangler
SCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 128
First thing I did when I got my new coach home was to remove the so called recliner and replace it with a real LaZboy leather recliner. in the 36LA it fits perfect.
__________________
Keith & Brenda
2014 Allegro Open Road 36 LA
2014 Honda CRV Toad
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Enokie's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab449 View Post
First thing I did when I got my new coach home was to remove the so called recliner and replace it with a real LaZboy leather recliner. in the 36LA it fits perfect.
I agree with you, what is wrong with a good sturdy La-Z-boy?

4 feet on the floor can handle most any weight, as it is better distributed and not all sitting on a post...
The plus for me is the 'leg lift' is right there, not a stool that never really seems to be comfortable, or at times not even there... (holding papers or fabric patterns...

La-Z-Boy Recliners and Reclining Chairs - Official La-Z-Boy Website

Take a look....
__________________
Young at heart,
Older in other places !
Enokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Enokie's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Of course she then crashed the jeep, totaling both it and herself.. So now the chair is a storage shelf.
I hope your dW isn't in too bad shape, nothing serious I hope....

as for the chair,maybe it is only good enough to be a shelf!
__________________
Young at heart,
Older in other places !
Enokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Elf
Senior Member
 
Elf's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab449 View Post
First thing I did when I got my new coach home was to remove the so called recliner and replace it with a real LaZboy leather recliner. in the 36LA it fits perfect.
If you have it available could you post the model of the LaZboy you used?
__________________
Ethan and Lisa
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2012 Honda CRV
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #14
KJB
Member
 
KJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
If you have it available could you post the model of the LaZboy you used?
Yes, please do. I am curious too.
__________________

KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.