RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Changed brands - new 2015 Allegro 36LA

hi everyone

we have just changed brands.... we had a 2009 itasca suncruiser 35p and now (as of saturday) have a 2015 allegro 36la. so while not new to a motorhome, we are new to a tiffin motorhome. please excuse the use of "with the suncruiser, it worked this way, so how does it work with the allegro (i know there will more questions as we 'figure it all out').

some initial questions:
1. the suncruiser had two switches at the entrance steps. one for the house batteries and one for the chassis battery. i understand that the allegro does not had a chassis switch. does the chassis battery not need to turned off when you are sitting for a while?

2. does anyone know if the ford f53 chassis has synthetic oil? i read that ford recommends only synthetic oil. there are 3000 mlies on the odometer, am i am thinking oil change time if it is not synthetic oil.

3. the u-joints on the suncruiser (workhorse chassis with gm engine) were not sealed and thus needed to be greased. are the u-joints on the ford sealed OR do i need to grease them?

4. the allegro came with a built in surge protector. always used one with the suncruiser (not built in) and so now i am thinking "do i need two"? what did other do with an extra surge protector?

5. the suncruiser had a large food pantry, and in changing brands we knew this was not in the allegro 36la, so we are wondering - where are people storing their pantry items?

6. it seems to take forever for the hot water to arrive at the kitchen tap. i know the tank is far away. just wondering if anyone has anyone try to solve this? anyway to insulate the hot water pipes?

thanks for the help - it is appreciated
cheers, pdq

pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 04:42 PM   #2

Our motor homes always stay pluged in so we do not use battery cut offs but tiffin chassis battery switch is manual. We use a surge protector in front of our surge protector transfer switch as I would rather not have a surge go to the transfer switch suge gard or not.

fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I had just purchased new Progressive Industries surge protector when we bought our new rig. I use it as extra protection. We also went from Winnebago to Tiffin. Both good companies.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #4

I always use the recommended Motorcraft oil which is a blend of synthetic and regular oil. Your /ford manual will tell you exactly which oil and filter to use, you may pay a little more but I feel you can't go wrong with the recommended products.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_bc View Post
hi everyone we have just changed brands.... we had a 2009 itasca suncruiser 35p and now (as of saturday) have a 2015 allegro 36la. so while not new to a motorhome, we are new to a tiffin motorhome. please excuse the use of "with the suncruiser, it worked this way, so how does it work with the allegro (i know there will more questions as we 'figure it all out'). some initial questions: 1. the suncruiser had two switches at the entrance steps. one for the house batteries and one for the chassis battery. i understand that the allegro does not had a chassis switch. does the chassis battery not need to turned off when you are sitting for a while? 2. does anyone know if the ford f53 chassis has synthetic oil? i read that ford recommends only synthetic oil. there are 3000 mlies on the odometer, am i am thinking oil change time if it is not synthetic oil. 3. the u-joints on the suncruiser (workhorse chassis with gm engine) were not sealed and thus needed to be greased. are the u-joints on the ford sealed OR do i need to grease them? 4. the allegro came with a built in surge protector. always used one with the suncruiser (not built in) and so now i am thinking "do i need two"? what did other do with an extra surge protector? 5. the suncruiser had a large food pantry, and in changing brands we knew this was not in the allegro 36la, so we are wondering - where are people storing their pantry items? 6. it seems to take forever for the hot water to arrive at the kitchen tap. i know the tank is far away. just wondering if anyone has anyone try to solve this? anyway to insulate the hot water pipes? thanks for the help - it is appreciated cheers, pdq
1. I never turn off the 12 v switch because we have the residential refrigerator and keep I plugged in all the time, even if it's just to a 20 amp to run the fridge.
2. I the semi synthetic Motorcraft oil. My local dealer generally has a 59.99 special all the time so I have never change it myself. Due to the location of the filler tube, you almost have to have a pump to put the new oil in the engine.
3. I've never looked at the u-joints but I will.
4. Unless it changed from 2014', none of the Tiffin gas coaches have a built in surge protector. The transfer switch has some surge protection but nothing like a real surge protector that also protects from hi or low voltage and open grounds. Use your surge protector.
5. Our previous Southwind had a pantry and we missed it also but it's was worth the trade in order to get the residential fridge. We use a couple of the cabinets above the recliner and couch because they are easy to access, plus we use cabinet above the TV, it's perfect for canned goods.
6. I agree about the time it takes to get hot water, but it's a long way from the WH to the sink so you have to push all the water in the line out before you get to the hot water. I guess you could install an inline 120v water heater under the sink but that brings on the issue of where you are going to get power. Those inline electric WH burn a lot of juice.