RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Changing shock absorbers

Some of you may know replacing the tranny cooler is VERY VERY expensive. That's what I'm having done.
This means we'll be keeping our 05 Allegro 32BA.
All the shocks are the originals. The ride is ok unless there are sudden variations like raised joints in the road. They seem to be transferred right through the coach.
I'm thinking that practically any new shock will improve the ride quite a bit. This means we may not spring for the $$$ Koni shocks.
My question is: If you were to change all four shocks on a Workhorse w20 chassis, what would you get?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #2

Koni's Worked For Me

Hi Tim,
Tim here from the other side of the CT river. I went with Koni's and am very pleased with the difference.
Sorry to hear of the problem with the cooler but it may be worth it to stretch the distance for a proven suspension upgrade.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With shocks that old, I'd say its time....you probably won't recognize the ride as your MH when you change them..If you are spending the $$, might as well spring for the Konis
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #4

Bilsteins are total junk when new, and a total waste of money to buy. I junked mine with 700 miles on a new rig, and went with Konies. Any shock, or no shocks at all will ride good on a velvet smooth road. It's the bridges and seams in the road where you need good shocks. Konies made a world of difference. Bilsteins are junk when new, or old. How do I know, I had them.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim fm ct View Post
Some of you may know replacing the tranny cooler is VERY VERY expensive. That's what I'm having done.
This means we'll be keeping our 05 Allegro 32BA.
All the shocks are the originals. The ride is ok unless there are sudden variations like raised joints in the road. They seem to be transferred right through the coach.
I'm thinking that practically any new shock will improve the ride quite a bit. This means we may not spring for the $$$ Koni shocks.
My question is: If you were to change all four shocks on a Workhorse w20 chassis, what would you get?
If you dont spring for the Konis... I can tell you it will be a HUGE mistake. Your options are limited anyways.
I dont agree the Bilsteins are junk. They can be revalved. Only problem is getting the corner weights and data Bilstein needs to set the shims in the shock.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Shocks and handling

I have a 2011 Allegro 32BA and the ride is very rough and hard to handle at highway speeds (55-65mph). Can putting new shocks on make a difference...keep the coach from swaying so much? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jo Ann
msdolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Jo Ann,
I just changed the original shock absorbers to Konis on our 05 Tiffin Allegro 32BA.
I noticed quite an improvement on the short ride home. I'm going to drive on that awful 84, 684 section of roads on the NY to Connecticut route to really test them.
The Koni shocks were ~$165 each. Can't find the work order for the labor When I do I can update the info.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim fm ct View Post
Jo Ann,
I just changed the original shock absorbers to Konis on our 05 Tiffin Allegro 32BA.
I noticed quite an improvement on the short ride home. I'm going to drive on that awful 84, 684 section of roads on the NY to Connecticut route to really test them.
The Koni shocks were ~$165 each. Can't find the work order for the labor When I do I can update the info.
Spartan had a deal on Koni last fall at $149 and free shipping. Had two front installed when I had my annual service done and they charged me an hours labor which I thought was fair. Left them on the Factory setting and found they made a Huge difference in handling and ride. No more Porpoising crossing bridges etc. Tracks much better.
Only mistake was not getting the two for the rear. Maybe this fall.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #9

I don't own your brand of motorhome, but on our old P32 chassis, (chevy) the front Koni's I installed are AMAZING !!! I wish I had them in back too. Our last trip home from Arizona to Arkansas we got caught in a bad storm,,, 50+ mph wind gusts in the side,,, sure I slowed down,, but the handling difference was Fantastic !!! (I drive a truck so I'm used to things) Worth every penny.... If you put many miles on your mh,,, I'd really consider it.... (we aren't rich, but ....)
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdolly View Post
I have a 2011 Allegro 32BA and the ride is very rough and hard to handle at highway speeds (55-65mph). Can putting new shocks on make a difference...keep the coach from swaying so much? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jo Ann
I respectfully remind all that "shock absorber" is a misnomer because the purpose of them is to retard the rebound of the suspension after it is compressed. As such, they "may" have some effect on ride quality, and most everybody who has changed to Koni brand shocks has reported satisfaction with their purchase. However, I doubt many here will claim replacing the SHOCKS will "keep the coach from swaying so much". That is a task more related to installation of a rear trac bar, or perhaps "sway bars" designed for that purpose.

Since you mentioned rough ride & hard to handle, have you already had the coach weighed and set the tire pressures accordingly? That costs almost nothing, and "can" make a huge difference. Do that first and then consider your other options, all of which will cost MUCH more.

Is your Allegro on Ford or Workhorse?
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:42 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
You guys are the best!!!

Thank you so much for all the feedback. We haven't had the coach weighed yet, doing it this week. Will set the tire pressures accordingly and see how it rides. If that doesn't help much will consider other suggestions made.

msdolly is offline   Reply With Quote