Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2017, 05:50 AM   #1

chassis choice

Comments on choice of chassis at Tiffin on a new Allegro Bus appreciated ......
tooright is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2017, 07:57 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Your choice is PowerGlide (a Tiffin designed and built chassis). I would imagine that most Bus owners love them. BTW, Tiffin opened a new Chassis Plant and will be putting more PowerGlide chassis under other models.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Your choice is PowerGlide (a Tiffin designed and built chassis). I would imagine that most Bus owners love them. BTW, Tiffin opened a new Chassis Plant and will be putting more PowerGlide chassis under other models.
The new Phaeton 40IH is on a Powerglide chassis. When I ordered our new coach, their specs said Freightliner, but about a month later the specs changed to Powerglide. I absolutely love the ride of the PG chassis with independent front suspension.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #4

Powerglide is the way to go. We had a 2008 bus and I test drove that particular model on a Freightliner, Spartan, and Powerglide. I picked the Freightliner based on the following criteria: Hard braking at freeway speed, low speed corner dive from rapid lane change, high speed corner dive from high speed rapid lane change, nose dive from slow speed hard braking and body sway from rapid steering alternating input. We did a similar test on the 2013 Powerglide and the improvement in the Powerglide was starteling. It was confirmed when we took it to Alaska 4 months later and had to deal with their roads and frost heaves (yes, the Freightliner 2008 had been up there twice too). They've got the Powerglide right.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #5

Thanks so much guys ..... appreciate the feedback!
Old 05-27-2017, 09:54 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Powerglide is the way to go. We had a 2008 bus and I test drove that particular model on a Freightliner, Spartan, and Powerglide. I picked the Freightliner based on the following criteria: Hard braking at freeway speed, low speed corner dive from rapid lane change, high speed corner dive from high speed rapid lane change, nose dive from slow speed hard braking and body sway from rapid steering alternating input. We did a similar test on the 2013 Powerglide and the improvement in the Powerglide was starteling. It was confirmed when we took it to Alaska 4 months later and had to deal with their roads and frost heaves (yes, the Freightliner 2008 had been up there twice too). They've got the Powerglide right.
I've been thinking about chassis choice as well.

Isn't there a concern about chassis parts availability, with a power glide? ( i.e. Shocks, air dryer, brake shoes, u joints, air system parts, bushings, etc. who does alignments.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:09 AM   #7

Those are questions I have as well. I am figuring a trip to Red Bay may answer some of those questions.
I would think any certified Tiffin servive center would be a logical place to have PG service done as well.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #8

I've taken the rig to two local truck service places (one a spring place and the second a tire place) for alignments, and have not had any problems with either knowing what to do. I also found a problem with a brake roll pin keeper and when I took it to a local truck place, they were able to match it on sight. You'll get documentation on who's front end and who's rear suspension you have and some maintenance documentation on each. There are also tags on all major components. Major truck repair places deal with these issues on a daily basis, so other than finding a "good one" vs a "poor one" that is always an issue, but a few discussions with the actual tech's that are going to do the work will get you a good feel for what's going on. In addition, Tiffin has pre-blessed locations that they've contacted and perhaps worked with. However, the blessed are not the only ones. You can also contact the Tiffin Chassis group and they will give you a ton of info on whatever you are concerned about. Shock part numbers, air bag part numbers, valves, etc are easily found. If you want to order the specific part you need, Tiffin will also send it to you or the shop working a problem can also get the part they need from Tiffin. Since I do just about all my own work, I too was concerned about these issues, but in over 75,000 miles I haven't run up a frustration yet.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:56 AM   #9

I have owned country Coach, Travel Supreme, Monaco, Holiday Rambler and now Allegra Bus with Powerglide. It is not even close. The Powerglide gives the best handling and ride.

Tags
chassis