RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2019, 09:12 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Chassis Maintenance Surprise!

Took my Allegro Bus to Leach Campers in Lincoln, Nebraska where I purchased it. Some items they were going to fix when I bought the motorhome last year but didn't have the parts. Service scheduler said it will take at least 3 weeks to get parts. I told scheduler that if they had to order additional parts I would take the motorhome back to Kansas because I wanted to use it. I picked the motorhome up the next day and was assured the parts were on order. Two night shades, as another quit working, and a seal for the front toilet. Because we had no information about servicing engine and chassis, I took the motorhome to Truck Center for service. Well they just finished the motorhome yesterday October 17! Over SIX weeks!
Imagine my surprise when I expected about $1,200 for service work and received an invoice for over $5,000! Issues with a king pin recall is where this whole fiasco started. I would think with the expertise and time in business Leach would have questioned the previous owner about service work on the chassis and whether there were any outstanding issues. Obviously no one had serviced this front end for some time or this uncorrected situation would have been discovered. So for over 6 weeks this motorhome has been at Truck Center Companies in Lincoln waiting on parts and work instructions from Tiffen and from the axle manufacturer. Any recourse for me as an owner? I purchased this last year too late to take it to Florida so it was stored in my building all winter. Then health reasons prevented us from traveling this year so I have driven this motorhome only 1000 miles! Now I am faced with almost $8,000 of repair!

One more insult to ownership, Leach Campers Sales didn't have the parts to fix the motorhome after 6 weeks. What is going on this industry? As a business owner for over 20 years I would have been out of business if I would have treated customers this way!

I am not sure where to turn next. Any suggestions or anyone with this type of experience would be helpful.

Motorhome is a 2013 Allegro Bus 40 QGP. Has a Powerglide chassis built by Tiffen. 18,000 miles on my Bus.

RDEM51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 09:48 AM   #2

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Welcome
I see you have only made 13 posts.
You had a very bad and expensive experience early on.

So sorry.

In time you become very RV road WISE
Its a Very expensive Education.

DIY ers and tinkerers are created every day in this world
Or fed Steak.

Pick, choose your service providers VERY CAREFULY.

Talk to LOTS OF CLASS A OWNER'S
READ LOTS OF THREADS.

Always have a very flexible
( non time schedule) if you plan to keep your sanity.

In my opinion
Your fortunate to get off so cheap.

Now that your one of those, very wealthy, RV owners.
Your fair game.

You will learn to manuver through all of this over time.
And Die in Poverty

HJLowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ouch! That really is disheartening. Hopefully those repairs will get you to a fresh start with everything up to snuff. As already stated read lots of forums and posts and pick where you have your future service done carefully as prices and quality of work will vary greatly.
busdriver803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #4

I think I would put that low mileage fine motor home on rv trader and try to unload it. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #5

when i have taken my coaches in for service, of all kinds, both chassis and house, no work is done until i am aware of the scope of the work and the potential costs....

how is it that you were not apprised along the way of where they were going and the time they were spending ?
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDEM51 View Post
Took my Allegro Bus to Leach Campers in Lincoln, Nebraska where I purchased it. Some items they were going to fix when I bought the motorhome last year but didn't have the parts. Service scheduler said it will take at least 3 weeks to get parts. I told scheduler that if they had to order additional parts I would take the motorhome back to Kansas because I wanted to use it. I picked the motorhome up the next day and was assured the parts were on order. Two night shades, as another quit working, and a seal for the front toilet. Because we had no information about servicing engine and chassis, I took the motorhome to Truck Center for service. Well they just finished the motorhome yesterday October 17! Over SIX weeks!
Imagine my surprise when I expected about $1,200 for service work and received an invoice for over $5,000! Issues with a king pin recall is where this whole fiasco started. I would think with the expertise and time in business Leach would have questioned the previous owner about service work on the chassis and whether there were any outstanding issues. Obviously no one had serviced this front end for some time or this uncorrected situation would have been discovered. So for over 6 weeks this motorhome has been at Truck Center Companies in Lincoln waiting on parts and work instructions from Tiffen and from the axle manufacturer. Any recourse for me as an owner? I purchased this last year too late to take it to Florida so it was stored in my building all winter. Then health reasons prevented us from traveling this year so I have driven this motorhome only 1000 miles! Now I am faced with almost $8,000 of repair!

One more insult to ownership, Leach Campers Sales didn't have the parts to fix the motorhome after 6 weeks. What is going on this industry? As a business owner for over 20 years I would have been out of business if I would have treated customers this way!

I am not sure where to turn next. Any suggestions or anyone with this type of experience would be helpful.

Motorhome is a 2013 Allegro Bus 40 QGP. Has a Powerglide chassis built by Tiffen. 18,000 miles on my Bus.
Tiffin did issue a recall on the 2009-2016 PowerGlide ZF IFS king pin wear. However it was canceled for motorhomes as it was found the trucks that had the wear had thousand of miles more then a motorhome would get. So it was not validated.
Do a search on Tiffin net for details: ZF Kingpin Powerglide Service Bulletin 50.

"Per Gary Harris today, this ZF service bulletin has been put on hold pending final decision from ZF Germany. Two ZF engineers visited Red Bay last week and reviewed results from 30 or so replacements(highest 53k miles), and questioned the need for replacement on any motorhome, given the low lifetime miles on a motorhome chassis. A final decision will come from ZF, and is out of Tiffin's hands."

Most PG owners have never had it complied with to date.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Sky Pilot,

Thanks. When Truck Center Company greased the kingpins while servicing the chassis the caps on the bottom fell off. Then they discovered there were no snap rings to hold the caps on and that the kingpins had been pressed in too far. Very frustrating to try to figure out what I should have done.

RDEM51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, maintenance