RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2012, 05:38 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had a propane detector in a Tiffin that did not like being in an area with a lot of decaying foliage from the trees on the property. Had it happen twice, once while parked on in-laws property and once in a an RV park. Raked under the unit next morning and it eliminated the problem.

VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetoo
So I just got this new to me 2010 Phaeton and out of the blue the CO/LP alarm starts going off tonight. It is parked with a power cord hooked up and the batteries are showing absorption. The furnaces and hot water units are turned off and the propane is turned off at the tank. It is the residential refrigerator, 120v, hence plugged in. What can cause this?. Can it be fumes from the waste tanks, although I cant smell anything? I have been on my hands and knees to smell for propane, just in case, even though its turned off. Checked underneath in the basement, just in case and nothing. When I bought it the previous owner said it had gone off a couple of times and that you are supposed to replace the batteries in it periodically but this alarm is 12v direct wired. Do these things do this after 2-3 yrs? Really need to try and figure, just left home on my first 2 week trip with it and had to sleep at daughters house en route (just in case)
Update....topped up all the batteries(took 3 liters water for 6 batteries) and blew out sensor with compressed air. Seems ok since. Thanks to all

Old 09-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have this problem sometimes if the pilot goes out in the hot water heater. Just turning
The heater on and off again helps
tamaridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #18

Another LP detector culprit is HairSpray. DW has set ours off several times when using HairSpray. They apparently use some sort of flammable propellant in the spray.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #19

I was kneeling down, looking for something in a bottom drawer and the heel of my shoe pressed the test button and set my propane detector off.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #20

My 8lb Dachshund sets mine off.
Finally had to disconnect it and put a battery CO in. Hope the LP doesn't kill me.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #21

Done it again, last two days in a row. Seems to happen when connected to shore power. After it happens I make sure the propane is off and make sure a vent is open. Seems the sensor is overly sensitive, will probably end up replacing it when we get home. The dog has an innocent look on her face so who knows.
Stevetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:14 AM   #22

If you have a stock single stage converter/charger, it could be cooking your batteries and the out-gassing is setting off the propane detector.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #23

Mine has gone completely dead. I pulled it out and found there is no power coming from the wiring. In the fuse panel there was a 1Amp fuse marked by the factory but it has since been removed and blacked out. Anyone got any ideas where the wiring might be going too. I have a 2003 Kountry Star. I am starting by removing the hall light to see if I can find the wires and start to trace them.
okiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:48 AM   #24

When I got my used Breeze, one of the detectors was wired so it was on even with the disconnect off. I found two taped off connectors that were switch power. Put new ends on the detector and just plugged them in. Now it doesn't drain my batteries when disconnected. I think the PO did it so when it was stored in their warehouse, they would know if it had a propane leak.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Our gas monitor is located in kitchen area across from fridge. It started alarming from time to time. Some times we could stop it by putting a fan on it. Bought a new monitor problem solved. We have a 2009 Phaeton. Cost about $100 Canadian. Reguards
adrianr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This won't be your problem, but I had recurring "false" alarms from LP detector located near entry step on our former Southwind. Generally it was only when we in slow maneuver mode such as parking at a rally on grass. It got worse with time and then the exhaust donut on the Chevy Vortec 8.1l blew out altogether while crossing to the coast in CA, very noisey! and the alarm began to sound continuously. We knew it was bad when the CO detector in the bedroom added to the commotion. We continued to the campground - no place to stop - with windows open. After the repair neither Co nor LP detector ever sounded again. LP detectors may respond to CO apparently and the donut had been leaking for some time.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Propane, (Explosive gas detector) near floor

CO, High on wall or on ceiling (High means within a hand width, not span (8-9") but width (4")

This is the standard, it's also how my coach was built, it is also what the manufacturers say in the owner's manuals..

NATURAL GAS.. Goes next to the CO detector since it's lighter.

Now to the original poster.

CO detector kept alarming in my coach, finally ahd to replace it (The alarm mode was "System failure/Low batt" not DANGER).

The device manual will tell you what the different alarm patterens mean.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:02 AM   #28

Quote:
CO, High on wall or on ceiling (High means within a hand width, not span (8-9") but width (4")
that's interesting because instructions I've ever bothered reading for both CO and smoke detectors, all stated that the corner between the wall and the ceiling is a dead area with less air movement and detectors should be mounted either 8" down the wall or in the middle 2/3 of the ceiling