RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coach stuck in PARK position 2019 Allegro Open Road

Hi Guys: Just finished a 450 mile trip to Maine. When I arrived at camp site I went to shift to reverse to back in and my gear shift was stuck in PARK. Pulled back and it would not come out of park. Turned the wheels to right, left, nothing. I turned the coach on and off a couple of times and finally got it out. Backed into site and put in park to shut off. Your keys do not come out of ignition if the gear shift is not in park. Had a great five day stay. Went to leave same thing, I could not get the transmission out of park, I had envisions of being stuck 450 miles from home. Finally after playing with jacks up and down, turning coach on and off I got it into drive. On the way home when I needed gas I put on foot break on and put it in neutral to shut it off, but keys will remain inside ignition.
So I made it home, I have an appointment with my dealer on Thursday, had to shut off and get keys and NOW it isl stuck in PARK AGAIN. Any easy trick to get this linkage unraveled so I can get coach to dealer.

Jim P.

pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2019, 07:24 AM   #2

Are you stepping on the brake pedal ? There is in interlock.

If you are, the interlock may be going bad. Try stepping on the brake a few times and it may reliese.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Are you stepping on the brake pedal ? There is in interlock.

If you are, the interlock may be going bad. Try stepping on the brake a few times and it may reliese.

I will give that a try, thanks.... but I did have my foot on break pedal.

Jim P.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That sounds like an interlock problem. Don’t know about Ford chassis but some manufacturers include a bypass mechanism. Check your manual, it might be in there. Worth a look.

Here it is.

Transmission
WARNINGS
Brake-Shift Interlock
Do not drive your vehicle until you verify that the brake lamps are working.
If your brake lamps are not working properly or if you have disconnected the vehicle battery cables, the
vehicle brake lamps and hazard flashers may not properly warn traffic of a vehicle breakdown or approaching danger, which can increase the risk of serious injury or death. To minimize the risk of serious injury or death, be aware of your surroundings, use other hazard signaling devices if available, and move the vehicle to a safe location away from traffic as soon as possible.
When doing this procedure, you will be taking the vehicle out of park which means the vehicle can roll
freely. To avoid unwanted vehicle movement, always fully set the parking brake prior to doing this procedure. Use wheel chocks if appropriate.
If the parking brake is fully released, but the brake warning lamp remains illuminated, the brakes may not be
working properly. See your authorized dealer.
Your vehicle is equipped with a brake-shift interlock feature that prevents moving the gearshift lever from park (P) when the ignition is in the on position and the brake pedal is not pressed.
If you cannot move the gearshift lever out of park (P) position with the ignition in the on position and the brake pedal pressed, a malfunction may have occurred. It is possible that a fuse has blown or your vehicle’s brake lamps are not operating properly. See Fuse Specification Chart (page 65).
If the fuse is not blown and the brake lamps are working properly, the following procedure will allow you to move the gearshift lever from park (P):
1. Apply the parking brake. Turn key to the lock position, and then remove the key.
2. Disconnect the negative (black) battery cable from the battery.
3. Insert the key and turn to the off position. Shift the transmission to neutral (N).
4. Reconnect the negative (black) battery cable to the battery.
5. Start the vehicle.
Note: See your authorized dealer as soon as possible if this procedure is used.
If Your Vehicle Gets Stuck In Mud or Snow
Note: Do not rock your vehicle if the engine is not at normal operating temperature or damage to the transmission may occur.
Note: Do not rock your vehicle for more than a minute or damage to the transmission and tires may occur, or the engine may overheat.
If your vehicle gets stuck in mud or snow, you may rock it out by shifting between forward and reverse gears, stopping between shifts in a steady pattern. Press lightly on the accelerator in each gear.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks garyukk for such a detailed procedure. I never knew about this interlock setup. I will also check my fuses.

Tags
allegro