Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #15

I feel for you. You want to know you are driving down the road in a responsible manner to keep you and your wife safe and everyone else on the road as well.
I had a class A and I did weigh all four corners and set tire pressure according early on and felt good about it. Then every time I looked I was carring more and more stuff, finding place for it here and there. Then I discovered the motorhome mfg was claiming the rear axle was rated for 20.000# but the axle mfg rated it at 19,000#. I felt very uncomfortable with this information, so much so I went nuts and bought what I now have and do not have to worry much about weight.
I do wish you well in getting this resolved and regaining your comfidence with regards to you motorhome weight.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coach weighing issues - can't even get Tiffin to call back!

I haven't had time to pursue this lately, but after calling Tiffin 4 times in November and December 2010 and never getting an answer or even the courtesy of a return phone call I'm about ready to file a complaint with NHTSA about the bad weight label in my MH and see if they can get a call returned.

I keep hearing all this wonderful stuff about Bob Tiffin, but apparently the folks I've left messages for don't give a crap. A pretty piss-poor way to treat a consumer if you ask me.

Anybody out there have a clue how to get to Bob? I'd love to have a chat with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputydog View Post
My wife called Tiffin again since they have not returned my call in over a week after my request for the factory weight of my coach. Was told Danny is out for a week, so I guess I'll have to wait some more. The answer won't change anything, but I'm sure not seeing the awesome customer support I keep hearing about!
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I haven't had time to pursue this lately, but after calling Tiffin 4 times in November and December 2010 and never getting an answer or even the courtesy of a return phone call I'm about ready to file a complaint with NHTSA about the bad weight label in my MH and see if they can get a call returned.

I keep hearing all this wonderful stuff about Bob Tiffin, but apparently the folks I've left messages for don't give a crap. A pretty piss-poor way to treat a consumer if you ask me.

Anybody out there have a clue how to get to Bob? I'd love to have a chat with him.
Call Phone: (256) 356-8661 and ask for him. If he was in Red Bay I've always gotten a call back from him within minutes. If he is out of town at one of the shows or rallies it may take longer.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #18

Was this ever resolved? I ask because i'm researching Tiffin Allegro 35 QBA as possible new MH.

The CCC issue has also been brought up in another forum.
A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Login
rocketpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=rocketpod;843218]Was this ever resolved? I ask because i'm researching Tiffin Allegro 35 QBA as possible new MH.

In a round about way I suppose. I put brand new tires on coach (they were 6 years old), cut a window in the bay so I can directly see my water tanks and now carefully only carry water up to my known weight.

Did a trip last month to the Sun-N-Fun airshow and weighed on way down. I was over on the rear axles by about 150# and under on the front by about 200# and my CVGW was under by about 1,000 lbs with my trailer. Not bad for guessing. Darn sure better than the Tiffin Weight Sticker!!!

The grip is that I should have been able to carry that other 1700 or 1800 pounds that the stupid sticker says. I've now weighed at three certified scales so no doubt the sticker is a total bunch of horse crap!

I'm still going to send a letter or make a call here one of these days when in the correct mood!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #20

Quote:
I'm still going to send a letter or make a call here one of these days when in the correct mood!
Please do and report back. I looked at the 2011 35QBA this weekend. Wow, what a nice rig. I'm really considering it for our first MH.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketpod View Post
Please do and report back. I looked at the 2011 35QBA this weekend. Wow, what a nice rig. I'm really considering it for our first MH.
Don't get me wrong - I really like my coach and am pleased with the product other than the workhorse brake issues and this darn weight issue. There just really isn't any excuse for the weight label being like mine.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #22

Where are all the posts. I would think this topic would or should be one of the biggest concerns on this forum. Is everybody not weighing their MH as they should be? Overloading and not caring?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketpod View Post
Where are all the posts. I would think this topic would or should be one of the biggest concerns on this forum. Is everybody not weighing their MH as they should be? Overloading and not caring?
While the consumer is responsible for the ultimate safe operation of their vehicle, the basis of that safe operation would also include relying on the manufacturer to provide them with sound and accurate data concerning the weight of the coach as it left the factory. After it leaves and things are added it's not their problem, but until that time the sticker should be correct.

I fly airplanes and believe me when I say that if a manufacturer sent a plane out of the factory with a weight and balance that was off by nearly 1,800 pounds the s--- would hit the fan. Licenses would be lost or certainly suspended and hefty fines imposed. Should an RV be any different? After all, we drive down two lane roads and pass other vehicles within a few feet at closing speeds of 100 to 140 mph.

I did not overload intentionally and certainly care, but the bogus weight sticker made me feel that I was operating WELL WITHIN the weight limits when in fact I was not. I should not have to weigh my coach to get the basic empty weight. That is the job and responsibility of the MFG.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #24

Each and every coach is weighed near the plant at Sunshine Mills, Inc on calibrated truck scales in Red Bay.
redbayjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:16 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbayjojo View Post
Each and every coach is weighed near the plant at Sunshine Mills, Inc on calibrated truck scales in Red Bay.
I have been told that, however with 4 calls to Tiffin requesting that information I am still waiting for an answer after months.

There is absolutely no doubt that what is on my sticker is wrong. WAY WRONG. As noted in one of my earlier posts I went on line to Tiffin and got the brochure for my coach and the weight shown on my sticker is within a few pounds of the basic coach weight listed in the brochure with NO OPTIONS. Mine has nearly every option so I think they just put one in for the basic coach and didn't bother to look at the actual weight.

Whatever the reason, I sure would like them to call me and explain it or at least give me the true weight. You guys are getting me fired up to rattle their cage again.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #26

I am afraid to weigh mine. It may be bad news. 2011 Phaeton QBH.
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lault View Post
I am afraid to weigh mine. It may be bad news. 2011 Phaeton QBH.
Better to find out now.

I'm just happy one of those 6 year old tires didn't blow out when I was blissfully driving around with nearly an extra ton of weigh that I didn't know about!
Old 05-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
DeputyD,

You can go to the Michelin website Michelin North America RV Load & Inflation Tables
and get the load rating for your tires (I assume you are runing LRH's) in 10# increments. I just put new XZE's on rear and XZA2's on the front. I weighted my coach in October and the weights will allow me to drop the pressures considerably. I spoke to 2 different Michelin dealers (the selling dealer here in NC (not so big on RV's but REALLY big on trucks) and Bob Dickman in Junction City, OR (Big RV dealer, Country Coach, Monaco and Alpine)) and they BOTH recommend runing 110# in all 6 tires even though by weight I could run less. You should get the info from TIffin, however I would set the pressure on your tires by the Michelin manual.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coach weighing issues, weigh, weight