Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #1

Coach weight--something's wrong?

Weighed my coach the other day at a truck scale. First did both axles, then a re-weigh with only the DS on the scale. I then subtracted the re-weigh from the original to arrive at what I thought would be a fair approximation of what a true 4 corner weighing method would produce.

Surprise! There was a 1300# difference across the front axle, heavy on the PS. At the rear there was 480# difference, heavy on the DS. The coach basement is lightly loaded and reasonably balanced. Propane tank (on PS) is full, black and grey tanks at 1/3 and fresh water tank at 2/3). My passenger is 130#. DEF tank (also on PS) is full.

Thinking I might have a ride height problem, I went to the local Freightliner shop where the ride height was confirmed to be within spec. Technician said that the PS was probably lower than the DS when I did the re-weigh (thus shifting weight to the PS) and dismissed the 1300# difference as being "bogus."

Before weighing I had a quick look at the scale and it appeared be level with the concrete around it. If it was low, it couldn't be more than an inch or two.

I'm a rookie at all this RV stuff. Should I take the tech's word for it? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #2

A re-weigh on a different scale would eliminate the possibilities but I would bet (if your math was correct) that the weight was accurate.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folio View Post
Weighed my coach the other day at a truck scale. First did both axles, then a re-weigh with only the DS on the scale. I then subtracted the re-weigh from the original to arrive at what I thought would be a fair approximation of what a true 4 corner weighing method would produce.

Surprise! There was a 1300# difference across the front axle, heavy on the PS. At the rear there was 480# difference, heavy on the DS. The coach basement is lightly loaded and reasonably balanced. Propane tank (on PS) is full, black and grey tanks at 1/3 and fresh water tank at 2/3). My passenger is 130#. DEF tank (also on PS) is full.

Thinking I might have a ride height problem, I went to the local Freightliner shop where the ride height was confirmed to be within spec. Technician said that the PS was probably lower than the DS when I did the re-weigh (thus shifting weight to the PS) and dismissed the 1300# difference as being "bogus."

Before weighing I had a quick look at the scale and it appeared be level with the concrete around it. If it was low, it couldn't be more than an inch or two.

I'm a rookie at all this RV stuff. Should I take the tech's word for it? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I agree that a reweigh on another set of scales would confirm. It’s not particularly unusual for the side to side weights to be that far off.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
When I weigh, I put the DS on the scale, then the PS on the scale. Add them together to get the total.

My front PS was 500 lb heavy first time I weighed. Took about 15 min to tweak the ride height slightly, still had it in spec, and brought the weight to balanced.

Until if or when you get it adjusted, you need to set your front PSI's to handle the heaviest weight.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
When I weigh, I put the DS on the scale, then the PS on the scale. Add them together to get the total.

My front PS was 500 lb heavy first time I weighed. Took about 15 min to tweak the ride height slightly, still had it in spec, and brought the weight to balanced.

Until if or when you get it adjusted, you need to set your front PSI's to handle the heaviest weight.

Adjusted ride height or tag load?
Old 10-14-2017, 09:50 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies.

Re-weighing on another scale: good idea. Will try that when I can find one. Scale I used is the only one in my area.

Good to know that a 1300# diffierence may not be unusual. Still ... makes me wonder.

I could only place the PS off the scale I used. No access to hang the DS off the scale. It was a one-way truck scale at a truck stop.

No tag or toad was involved with this issue.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:44 AM   #7

If it rides and drives ok, I wouldn't be concerned about weights. To many other problems with rv's to be concerned about. Dave
Old 10-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Getting accurate individual weights is best done on a level surface with individual axle scales. Using a platform scale can give you significantly inaccurate weights - even if it is less than an inch difference between scale platform and the pavement around it.

Have your ride height checked and adjusted by a shop that knows what they are doing. In the meantime you can use axle weights and use the simple formula to get close:

Make sure you know your tire model and load range and look those up in the manufacturer's inflation tables.

Axle weight X 1.05% / 2 Look the resulting weight up in the tire table, get your inflation pressure, and add 5 psi to that.

Do the same thing to your rear axle (table is usually for dual mounted tires)

A good place to get individual wheel weights are at rallies, FMCA rallies, Escapees, etc.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Getting accurate individual weights is best done on a level surface with individual axle scales. Using a platform scale can give you significantly inaccurate weights - even if it is less than an inch difference between scale platform and the pavement around it.

Have your ride height checked and adjusted by a shop that knows what they are doing. In the meantime you can use axle weights and use the simple formula to get close:

Make sure you know your tire model and load range and look those up in the manufacturer's inflation tables.

Axle weight X 1.05% / 2 Look the resulting weight up in the tire table, get your inflation pressure, and add 5 psi to that.

Do the same thing to your rear axle (table is usually for dual mounted tires)

A good place to get individual wheel weights are at rallies, FMCA rallies, Escapees, etc.

Looks like you are adding 5% twice?
Old 10-15-2017, 05:13 PM   #10

Look up your local Masonry supply house, they usually all have scales for the rock trucks. Usually free, and don't seem to mind doing it.

Also did at the local scrap yard, and the lady came out and started yelling at me to leave... Was thinking, don't yell,,,charge... Free money.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Adjusted ride height or tag load?
I adjusted the DS ride height ever so slightly, to put a little more pressure on the front left tire. It's still within the Freightliner adjustment specs.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Looks like you are adding 5% twice?
Big difference between 5% of 6000 lbs and 5 psi. So no, I didn't add 5% twice. The 5 psi is a safety or fudge factor if you will.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight