Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2019, 11:57 AM   #1

Coach Wood Care

hi we are having problems with white spots on our cherry wood in our 2008 alegro bus we are using Murphys oils soap but the white spots keep coming back and thoughts
pyronh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #2

Can you give us a bit better explanation of the spots...? Size, location, the exact finish or what Tiffin calls the wood finish? We have natural cherry (no stain, just lacquer) and are starting to see the spots where Tiffin used a pin nailer gun and then some sort of a filler. These spots are not white, but are considerably lighter than the surrounding wood. I've been using a small bottle of natural cherry stain on a Q-tip to touch up these spots and then another Q-tip dipped in lacquer after the stain dries. You need to be quick with the lacquer as it'll remove the stain color if you rub.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:17 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
How about posting a picture? I've made a number of projects in cherry and have not seen anything like you describe. Could it be that you have stained alder and not natural cherry? Another possibility, they stained the sapwood (light colored) or stained the whole thing to even out the color.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyronh1 View Post
hi we are having problems with white spots on our cherry wood in our 2008 alegro bus we are using Murphys oils soap but the white spots keep coming back and thoughts
I would avoid water based items. We use Old English oil furniture polish. Not the aerosol the pump spray.

It takes the dirt off and leaves a light coating, think of it as skin lotion. You can wipe the excess off or leave it.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:22 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
I would avoid water based items. We use Old English oil furniture polish. Not the aerosol the pump spray.

It takes the dirt off and leaves a light coating, think of it as skin lotion. You can wipe the excess off or leave it.
We use Old English on our dark cherry cabinets at least once a year and let it soak in a day before wiping off. The cabinets still look like new! We have never had any white spots.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Can you give us a bit better explanation of the spots...? Size, location, the exact finish or what Tiffin calls the wood finish? We have natural cherry (no stain, just lacquer) and are starting to see the spots where Tiffin used a pin nailer gun and then some sort of a filler. These spots are not white, but are considerably lighter than the surrounding wood. I've been using a small bottle of natural cherry stain on a Q-tip to touch up these spots and then another Q-tip dipped in lacquer after the stain dries. You need to be quick with the lacquer as it'll remove the stain color if you rub.
hi the spots are like white dry places are over 6 in wide sometimes they go down 6 in they look like chalk white in the finish i will try to take a picture and post today
Old 04-06-2019, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyronh1 View Post
hi the spots are like white dry places are over 6 in wide sometimes they go down 6 in they look like chalk white in the finish i will try to take a picture and post today
Couple things that I have used for water rings - Mayo and Vaseline - might give it a try.

An other option is Heat - but this can also damage so be careful - dry iron on Low or a Hair dryer.

White generally means Water - Moisture - Humidity - on not quite perfect finishes - or slightly abused finishes.

JMHO, Let us Know,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:30 AM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190406_101743.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	240920

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190406_101757.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	240921
Old 04-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm getting some of them on my cherry cabinets in my CC. I've been using a stain pen on them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could it be mold or mildew? How is the humidity level?
TodC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #11

That certainly looks like humidity damage to the finish. Only way I have been able to correct it in furniture is to refinish the affected area.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:31 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
When it comes to polyurethane finishes on a wood panel, your best bet is to clean regularly with a vacuum and a rag. Remove dust and dirt from the surface of your paneling using a hand-held vacuum, and dust the panels with a soft, lint-free cloth to prevent scratching.
I can't see how any "oil/penetrating furniture polish" will help on a polyurethane wood finish as nothing gets to the wood fibers.

To remove the build of polishes, combine equal amounts of water and white vinegar. Wipe the area with the solution. Wipe the area with a dry cloth afterward to remove the excess liquid. Since most furniture polish is oil-based, a grease-cutting dish liquid can work well to remove it.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #13

Wow! Definitely not filler for nail holes. Are you going to be anywhere near Red Bay soon? If so, you can go into the cabinet/wood repair shop and talk to the guys in there. Don't need an appointment, just find one of the senior guys and explain the problem to him. If you're not going to be near there, a call to the Tiffin help line (256-356-0261) might work. Be sure to tell them you have a couple of pictures. I've done that and after they saw the pic's they called me back and gave me some good ideas to solve my problem.

As far as I know all the 2008 woodwork was finished with a lacquer spray. Depending on your stain it was applied over whatever stain, if any, was used. In our former 2008 Bus our finish was called Natural Cherry and was the easiest to repair. Just sand cherry wood to 220 grit and spray with lacquer. I even made some additional cabinets for my 2008 and 2013 Bus and finished them the same way. Can't tell the difference.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
White spots

"Blushing Laquer". If you google this, there are a few cures for your problem. As someone else said, it is a problem caused by moisture. In the past, before I learned about chemical cures, I repaired furniture/cabinet blushes with a light sanding. It didn't always work.

Good luck.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote