Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
UAV

Cold Weather Usage

Hello Tiffin People!

We are looking to use the any Diesel Pusher we will be buying very soon in colder weather. As in not bitter cold but lows in the teens, maybe single digits, which could be bitter cold to some of you!

Anyway, I understand that pretty much all of the Tiffins are very well insulated as far as the roof, sidewalls and floor goes and I really like that for sure.

What I do not know is how well all of the water lines are protected/insulated from the cold so they won't freeze in the cold temps.

Would you feel comfortable heading someplace with below freezing temps? Teens and 20s?

Anyone out there who can speak to the question of how well insulated the water lines are throughout the coach, using the coach in cold weather, etc. would be great!

Personal experience stories always help, too.

Thanks!
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2019, 08:16 PM   #2

Going to listen in on this thread
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:20 PM   #3

We used both our Red and Phaeton in single digit weather without issue.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #4
UAV

Good to know Nevada Nick...Just went and saw a 40IP today. Wow. Nicely done.

Was hoping to see and compare it to a 40IH.

The insulation and build quality was quite impressive.

Only surprising thing to me is that there is no built in TPMS system on that fancy new dash!
Old 11-09-2019, 10:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV View Post
Good to know Nevada Nick...Just went and saw a 40IP today. Wow. Nicely done.

Was hoping to see and compare it to a 40IH.

The insulation and build quality was quite impressive.

Only surprising thing to me is that there is no built in TPMS system on that fancy new dash!
Why oh WHY did I go look this up...sigh...amazing.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
This will be our second year in temps that you mention. With the aqua hot it provides heat to the wet bays and is controlled by its own thermostat in the bay. We have zero issues and zero worries about it. Obviously you will need a heated hose from the water tap to the coach but other than that, nothing.

We really feel no difference in the coach vs our old house. Other options to consider would be the heated floors and a fireplace (small space heater but nice ambiance in the winter).

Good luck with your purchase. You will be very pleased with a Tiffin.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV View Post
There is an option from Pressure Pro to install a built in TPMS that plugs into the J1939 port and displays on the digital dash. From what I have read on another forum, it's about $3,000 for the complete setup installed. Tiffin can't install it, but Bay Diesel in Red Bay can do it. You can contact Gary Harris, the chassis shop manager, for more information on the system.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
This will be our second year in temps that you mention. With the aqua hot it provides heat to the wet bays and is controlled by its own thermostat in the bay. We have zero issues and zero worries about it. Obviously you will need a heated hose from the water tap to the coach but other than that, nothing.

We really feel no difference in the coach vs our old house. Other options to consider would be the heated floors and a fireplace (small space heater but nice ambiance in the winter).

Good luck with your purchase. You will be very pleased with a Tiffin.
I like to disconnect all water lines in very cold environment. Run the coach out of the water tank on board, no issue with freezing lines and the wet bay heat will temper the feed water to AH so it can maintain a hotter temp. Also, drain lines can easily freeze too. Drain em and reconnect when you need to dump. Love the heated floors.
Grn_Mtn_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #9

Get a heated water hose! I had regular hose freeze in Foley/Gulf Shores Alabama area last week. I should have left water running some. Inside of Motorhome was fine luckily. Dave
Old 11-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #10
UAV

Much appreciated all.

I am pretty hip on how to use the RV in cold weather.

What I really would like to find out, as some have mentioned so far, is how the Tiffin coach itself holds up in the cold. And how well protected the water lines are, if there are any exposed water lines...that sort of thing.

So far it appears they do pretty good; however, also have heard from several peeps that the front and rear caps are not insulated at all.

Not a huge deal to me but would be nice to see some insulation in those caps.

More importantly, the wet bays and water lines seem pretty well protected overall and that is important.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We've had ours only since April & the coldest temps we've experienced were upper 20's at night/days it was above freezing. No problems at all with lines or with staying warm. I didn't need to, because the floor heat (once ran long enough) kept the interior quite comfortable, but the furnace does an awesome job.

With either the IP or IH you've got a 100gal fresh tank. No need to go to the expense of a heated water hose. Fill the fresh tank & run off it. Refill the tank, as needed, when it's above freezing & preferrably on a sunny day.

I never noticed any heat (during Summer) or cold (late Fall) transfer from either the front or rear areas. Also with either of those floorplans, you've got a closet running nearly the entire width of the rear cap. Even if the rear cap isn't well insulated, you've got clothes in there that'll act as an insulator. Even with the doors closed, I didn't notice it felt cold or even cool in there after a night in the 20's.

As for the front cap, you aren't sleeping in the front cabinets so even if there isn't enough insulation up there as some claim, it makes no difference. Plus ours has a large TV up there that does emit a small amount of heat. If you want to be concerned about cold in the front, that huge glass thing called the windshield is WAY more of a heat loser than the space above the cabinets.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:16 AM   #12
UAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We've had ours only since April & the coldest temps we've experienced were upper 20's at night/days it was above freezing. No problems at all with lines or with staying warm. I didn't need to, because the floor heat (once ran long enough) kept the interior quite comfortable, but the furnace does an awesome job.

With either the IP or IH you've got a 100gal fresh tank. No need to go to the expense of a heated water hose. Fill the fresh tank & run off it. Refill the tank, as needed, when it's above freezing & preferrably on a sunny day.

I never noticed any heat (during Summer) or cold (late Fall) transfer from either the front or rear areas. Also with either of those floorplans, you've got a closet running nearly the entire width of the rear cap. Even if the rear cap isn't well insulated, you've got clothes in there that'll act as an insulator. Even with the doors closed, I didn't notice it felt cold or even cool in there after a night in the 20's.

As for the front cap, you aren't sleeping in the front cabinets so even if there isn't enough insulation up there as some claim, it makes no difference. Plus ours has a large TV up there that does emit a small amount of heat. If you want to be concerned about cold in the front, that huge glass thing called the windshield is WAY more of a heat loser than the space above the cabinets.

Lori-
Lori...You rock! That is the kind of information for which I was looking! Knocked it out of the park.

Although I do like sleeping in those front cabinets! And our new coach will have one of those "huge glass things" on the front...love it.

I was really wondering about the lack of insulation in the front and rear caps. You explained it very well and I agree.

Although we are not planning on bitter cold temps with the coach, I am sure we will run into temps in the teens and, on occasion, single digits at night...but the goal then will be to head to warmer climes.

My biggest fear is any exposed water lines (that is an issue with Fleetwoods, which look good for 2020, BTW) but it looks like Tiffin has no issues such as this.

Basement well heated and basement doors seem adequately insulated on the Tiffins as well.

Thanks again for the very straight forward and hands on response.

Tags
cold weather