Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2017, 05:49 PM   #1

Computer Tray Velcro Latch

On my new to me 2014 Phaeton 40 QBH, the computer tray in front of the passenger seat will not stay closed. I was told the tray should be held shut with velcro. There is no velcro. Where can I get this velcro latch.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You could look for a suitable latch in the hardware dept. of any home improvement store. Small adhesive velcro squares or circles is available in the home improvement store also. Velcro tape, with adhesive backing, is sold by the inch or yard in many fabric stores. The velcro adhesive patches can often pull loose, especially in the heat of the sun. You might look for other types of latches or catches in the HIS.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #3

The only place for the velcro latch would need something about 1/4 to 3/8 thick.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:08 AM   #4

We had the same issue on our 2013 BUS. After Tiffin tech's tried twice to do the Velcro thing and it didn't work (Velcro kept peeling), I finally installed a twist cabinet lock and we no longer have any problem. The lock we installed used a key, but you can also get the ones unkeyed at any good hardware store or big box store. We used the key type so we wouldn't catch the latch on an article of clothing going in and out. The latch had to be installed at the bottom of the drawer instead of it's usual position at the top edge, but our drawer has not had any issues for 3 years since I put it in.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
As I said in post #2, many latches could be adapted to use. I wouldn't recommend a magnetic latch, computers and magnets don't always get along.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #6

Pigman1, do you have any pictures of the lock and of the drawer?
Old 09-22-2017, 06:21 PM   #7

We had the same problem in our 2014 Phaeton 40 QBH. While at Red Bay a couple of months ago, I watched a tech correct the problem. He pulled the desk out all the way and put a couple crimps in the slide mechanism toward the rear. Problem solved. When sliding the desk in, just before it is in all the way, you can feel the crimped track take effect. We have driven a couple thousand miles since that time including up many steep grades and it has held very securely.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by novi2some View Post
Pigman1, do you have any pictures of the lock and of the drawer?
Sure. It'll take me a day or two to get the pix, but stay tuned.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:40 PM   #9

Thanks Pigman1.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:03 PM   #10

Key latch. As I said, you can get a similar latch with a thumb turn knob. Sorry about the last picture focus. Just couldn't get the camera to focus on the latch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	177722   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	177723  

Click image for larger version

Name:	dash below drawer.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	177724   Click image for larger version

Name:	profile.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	177725  

Old 09-24-2017, 07:08 PM   #11

OK. I don't have a clue what happened, but EVERY image is upside down. They were NOT upside down when I attached them. ????

If you download them, turn them 180 degrees. Sorry.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
We had the same problem in our 2014 Phaeton 40 QBH. While at Red Bay a couple of months ago, I watched a tech correct the problem. He pulled the desk out all the way and put a couple crimps in the slide mechanism toward the rear. Problem solved. When sliding the desk in, just before it is in all the way, you can feel the crimped track take effect. We have driven a couple thousand miles since that time including up many steep grades and it has held very securely.
Winner!! it is basically a drawer slide, basically reach under the drawer just like a regular drawer. Push one side black tab down, other side black tab up and pull the top off. Then you can see the the slide close, it will close into a crimped rear return. Either crimp the rear return some more and test, or the rubber in the back is worn out that it clicks into.

After adjusted, move both slides to closed position, align drawer with slide and slowly push 1/3 in, back out an inch, push half way, back out inch, then push all the way in. Done. Don't know why that works well, but it does.

It should "click in", not just go in.

Also now available in "soft close" slide replacement. That is like,, really nice. When you notice,, everything in a RV is upgrade able from good, better, best,, same thing here

You do the DW kitchen drawers with Soft close drawer slides Your the cats meow.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga SL, On the move to a 2014 Allegro 36LA.Trek pure Trike,electric, 50 mile range, the get everything runner.To do list 10K hitch Remco driveshaft, Blue Ox E450, SMI brakes Pending toad.
trx430ex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer