Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2017, 07:33 AM   #1

Considering buying this older 34XB Allegro Bay

Let me start by explaining our circumstances. We live most of the year in Mexico, Lake Chapala area, but come up to south Texas 2-3 times per year for medical reasons and just to buy stuff we can't get there.

Six years ago, we sold our Country Coach Allure DP just because it did not store well at all, even in enclosed garage storage. We were only driving it a couple thousand miles per year at that point and it was not happy. DPs require a lot more maintenance anyway and this became a costly hassle.

We are now thinking a gasser would be much easier to own even though we are planning to drive more, mainly trips to the mountain west where we used to live. We will be traveling light so the smaller storage of the Allegro Bay is not an issue.

As before we will garage store it.

Actively considering this particular coach or something just like it, up to 2008. It has the exact configuration we want in any MH.

rvtrader(dot)com/listing/Tiffin%20Motorhomes-ALLEGRO%20BAY%2034XB-121486275

(I understand this site does not allow direct posting of links, so edited to remove the http and the www and the (dot).

I'm concerned we have been so spoiled by the Country Coach we won't be happy even though the coach itself seems pretty luxurious.

We had a National SeaBreeze on a Ford chassis and hated it. Hard riding, noisy, hot, an all around crappy rig. I definitely have no desire to own another Ford chassis. Hence the requirement of Workhorse.

So here are the questions:

1. In your learned opinions what is a fair price to offer for this coach?

2. How well insulated against engine noise and heat are the Allegro Bays?

3. If we tow again, will be our 2012 CRV. OK toad for this coach?

4. Any issues we need to look for beyond the brake recall?

5. It seems pretty tall. Does this result in a lot of swaying? Should I plan a Sumo retrofit if not already done? Anything else considered to be important chassis retrofit?

Our Country Coach was a 36 footer on that fantastic Dynomax low profile chassis. It was a dream to drive. I worry this will be hard to live with after that.

Thanks very much. This is a great board, happy I found it.
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #2

Need to know year of unit, last Allegro Bay was built in 2009. I've seen several lately at camp grounds we have been to. I looked at some on line and I think the most expensive one was $74,000, so I would think you could find one in good shape for $50,000 to $60,000. Dave
Old 04-20-2017, 08:19 AM   #3

2005 Year.

NADA guide says low retail is about the asking price but I think NADA over prices by 10 percent. What do you think?

You can see the coach at the edited link I posted, sorry I couldn't just put the link in clickable but apparently they don't allow that here.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #4

You need info about age of tires. Ok, if tires not over 4 years old. If not it needs tires, offer $43,000. I looked at on-line pictures and info about unit. Dave
Old 04-21-2017, 06:24 AM   #5

A Workhorse Chassis is not going to ride noticeably different from Ford Chassis. Steel springs are steel springs regardless of the power train. Comparing it to a air ride DP is not a fair comparison.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:54 PM   #6

I owned a 2006 38 foot bay. No real problems. I sold it after 2 years because of the noise and heat from the diesel. Tried to solve the problem with professional heat and sound installation with small improvements. You can buy and older model pusher for about the same money. Good luck

Gramps
Old 04-22-2017, 09:36 AM   #7

This one is a gasser. Would love to have another diesel but our expected level of usage is not conducive to owning one. What I like about this particular model is that it is on a 220 inch chassis. The similar Itasca models only use the 208 inch. Wheelbase is very important when it comes to handling, have experienced this first hand.

What concerns me a little about the Tiffin is that it seems to be a very tall unit but has less than 7 feet interior head room (80 inches).
Old 04-25-2017, 09:52 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some good things to point out:

We have a 2004 34XB Workhorse and love it absolutely. Really impressed with the low engine noise. This 8.1 Litre Chevy powerplant is quite surprisingly “quiet-running”. In fact, Most fellow campers inquire if it’s a diesel! DW & I can talk easily without difficulty. If I was to nick-pick, I’d say driver’s door seal was more of a noise problem. Only pulling very steep up-hill grades will up the decibels (but it’s so rare in our travels).

My only handling improvements were to add a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and Koni shocks. Drives like a dream without swaying or blow-by from passing semi. The extra height is due to the ladder frame rails being well above the drive shaft. [FWIW] I really like the extra underbelly clearance for DIY servicing. I do zerks lube and all routine service, inspections, etc.

My load calculations show I can devote 4,200 lbs for a TOAD; we pull a 2009 Saturn Vue @ 4,100 and never know she’s there.

Only other recalls we had were the Dometic Fridge's Flame shield addition and the Activia instrument panel R&R due to pixels drop-out. I’ve replaced the rubber fuel line to genny due to dry rot of rubber. Added fiberglass batts to front cap (behind TV) and added ¾” mineral-fiber wrap to underside of doghouse. I’ve read of others with spark plug wires at rear not getting sufficient air-flow; but I’ve R&R mine with better than OEM ignition wires.

If your look-at has the dual-pane window glazing…go for it. .[ Double-pane windows are truly a big bonus for both thermal props. and sound attenuation silencing]
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:50 AM   #9

That's some really good feedback.

Our alternative is the 37DB Tiffin gasser. The coach we're looking at has enough miles on it I definitely think a front shock change will be in order. This is a longer Workhorse chassis than the 34XB, 242 inches. However I would expect it would use the same front Konis.

On our last rig, a Country Coach Allure (sigh!) I put Koni adjustables on and turned them to the stiffest setting. They absolutely stopped porpoising. Did you use the same style of Koni on your coach and if so, what setting?

Also thinking Sumo Springs for the front initially and the rear later. I like the idea of not having to worry about air bag pressures.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used the Koni FSD's; and very satisfied. No Porpoising even on the old Destin crossover bridge from Freeport,FL. [man, that was a Bronco-bustin ride like I've never seen ] Ridges were spaced at sixteen foot intervals. One moment I'm looking at the pavement; and the next: all I see is the sky! Koni's put a stop to that [and, subsequently, I now use the Mid-Bay Toll Bridge].

BTW: Have met 3 others who did the same. But, I can attest to several who did go with the yellow, Sport -style and very happy with their setup (not 100% hard; but somewhat stiffer setting, as I recall). As they say: "your mileage may vary..."

FWIW: My 34XB does not have air bags. Suspect that 37DB doesn't either. [My old Winnebago superchief did,( PIA to replace the rears).] Using oem stock 2" TS sway bar and oem leaf springs. (No correction needed on the rear end either.)
Old 04-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
That 37 DB

Is that the W24 in-lieu-of the 22? I recall this post from "PAZ":

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/alle...nce-98841.html

>>David

PS: try the Tiffin rv network forums for more info.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Morgan View Post
Is that the W24 in-lieu-of the 22? I recall this post from "PAZ":

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/alle...nce-98841.html

>>David

PS: try the Tiffin rv network forums for more info.
How would you know if it is W24? By the wheelbase?
Old 04-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
That's some really good feedback.

Our alternative is the 37DB Tiffin gasser. The coach we're looking at has enough miles on it I definitely think a front shock change will be in order. This is a longer Workhorse chassis than the 34XB, 242 inches. However I would expect it would use the same front Konis.

On our last rig, a Country Coach Allure (sigh!) I put Koni adjustables on and turned them to the stiffest setting. They absolutely stopped porpoising. Did you use the same style of Koni on your coach and if so, what setting?

Also thinking Sumo Springs for the front initially and the rear later. I like the idea of not having to worry about air bag pressures.
I have a 2005 37 DB, 35,000 miles, with the original bilstein shocks and stock spring bumpers, I have not problems with sway/porpoising etc.....drives great. I also tow a 3800lb Jeep CJ7

I do have the Tru Steer, it was on there when I bought it so I cannot comment on its improvements, drives good when semis pass by.

I would drive it, before replacing shocks and putting sumos on there.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #14

I bought my first mh last spring so I can't really compare one to another. What I can tell you is that I very much like my 2005 34XB! It had 9k miles on it with new Bilsteins and sway bars. My wife and I can carry on a normal conversation with no problems. Runs 62 mph @ 2200 rpms on level road. It does get a little loud when you hit a hill and it down shifts and gets up around 3000 rpms. I get about 7.5 miles per gallon towing 3600 lbs. Seems to tow this weight fine.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro