Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #15
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCathy View Post
there are so many Phaetons available across the country with price differences of 40 k from coach to coach, ASide from obvious condition differences, are there other things we should be looking at when evaluating? Or is it worth extra $ to upgrade to Allegra bus? If we drive it west, will we need tag axle? The more I look, the more confused I become.
I would personally go with the Bus. Perhaps one with Spartan Chassis and Aqua Hot, Independent Front Suspension, even if a year or two older than the Phaeton.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 01:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCathy View Post
Mel,
that is excellent advice! There are so many choices out there for sale on line that I have been having q hard time keeping them straight. Much better to search for a specific model. thanks!
Lots of good information here too.

A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Index page

2012 Tiffin
Allegro RED 34QFA.....SOLD!
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
We have been looking at Phaetons and Allegro Bus. Learning about recalls which needed factory repair. If we purchase from a dealer or eBay, etc., is there a way to find out if repairs have been done?
Old 09-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You can call Tiffin with the VIN number and ask them if any of the following repairs were completed and when were they done (this is for 2008 to 2012 coaches): Roof rails, front slide floor, and wet bay floor.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:05 AM   #19

Maintenance records

Having recently purchased a 2011 tag axle bus, I can't stress enough the value of a detailed service history. Many first time buyers look at getting the most RV for the lowest price and forget to put away $ for the costly repairs that these big units require.
A well maintained RV should be one of your main concerns. Look at the following issues and I will use mine as an example, if you have to:
-replace tires because of age or condition 8 tires @ $800.00!each
-house batteries 6@ $180.00 ea
-oil, fuel and air filter for both coach and generator with labor $800
-brakes
-plumbing
-heating
-electrical
And more!
Having a used RV checked out by a reputable independent service facility is critical. Never never believe the owner or dealer.

Also remember that the dealers are interested in selling as much inventory as possible and servicing those units first. If you are buying used and privately, your service needs go to the bottom of their priority list. Expect to wait for a service time during the summer months.
Good luck with your purchase and be careful!
Ziggy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:58 PM   #20

Retired Fire Service RVer's
My wife and I bought an 2000 Allegro Bus with 45,000 miles on it for for well under NADA retail in an estate sale. It was never used for camping only traveling around and the interior was perfect....ALL options...very nice.
Everything worked....until two weeks ago I was running/loading the Onan diesel genny and BOOM the genny died. I just came back from the Onan service shop...we also had other work done...but the big bill will be around $4,000 to fix the genny. The issue has been, according to the service shop, that they have rebuilt the elec side, stater, brushes, magnets, etc. or over 60 such gennys...as the gennys age and you load them you are taking a chance that it will go BOOM. I watched them dismantle the genny and saw the bucket of pieces first hand. Whew...Oh well we got the Bus for well below NADA retail so we are not TOO "shook".
This Onan service shop has a great rep and has been around for many years so I trust them...and I did see the aftermath of the BOOM. The engine is fine it is just the elec gen side that is "done".
They removed the genny and should have it repaired next week and we should be good to go.
Again, the shop said they have seen this as a common problem with older Onan gennys and have repaired over 60 with NO returns. We shall see...
Anyone else out there have any issues like this?

I thought about just not repairing the genny and buying two Honda 2000i gennys and hooking them together when we stop/camp. Only problem is securing them from theft....and I would have to get them out each time regardless of the weather and hook them up...not sweet.

Sorry for the long thread but anyone looking at buying ANY used RV had better plan on spending monies on upgrades and/repairs...unless you buy new and this does NOT insulate you from problems.

The previous owner bought this unit new for over $200,000 15 years ago....we got in for well under $50,000...and now we will have to invest some monies...NOT a problem.

Note: while I was at the Onan/Cummins shop there were two other RV owners that came in with Onan genny problems....curious... OK I am done venting.....
Paramedic 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #21

Need to be care full about buying older units. Lots of rv parks in Florida don't want units over 15 years old in their parks. You should also look at Allegro Red they are a good option to consider. Dave

Tags
tiffin