Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #1

Considering Purchase

Hello all. I am new to the TT & RV community, but have learned a lot in the last 18 months. I have experience in a related area will be glad to assist if/when I purchase a Tiffin. I always try to start and stay positive, but unfortunately I have had nothing but bad experiences with the businesses associated with this industry. That is the reason for considering switching to a Tiffin. I've heard good things, but I want to verify with all of you. Any feedback, positive and negative (be kind) is appreciated.

I want something small and started looking at the breeze, but it had too many design specs I could not get my arms around, so I am looking at getting an Allegro 31MA. It is bigger than I really wanted by 2-3 feet, but that is the smallest currently manufactured. again, any feedback, positive and negative regarding model selection is appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the family! Personally, I would start off saying that more than likely no matter what you buy, if you buy it new, it will have some problems. Unfortunately, that's just the way the industry is for the moment... especially since demand is high. With that said, Tiffin is a good manufacturer that stands behind their product. The only problem you will have with Tiffin is the way their service works. A lot of us like to go back home to Red Bay for service, but there is no scheduling, you show up and get in line. With a brand new coach in warranty (1st year), you will get priority line treatment, but you still cannot set a time that you will be seen, and when your work will be completed. Sorry for starting off on what may sound like a bad tone, but I would much rather you know the bad going in, rather than getting in and feeling like you've made a very costly mistake. With all of that said, we're on our second Tiffin (we came from a 2012 Thor Hurricane 32A, a 2013 Winnebago Vista 35B, and a 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH) and very happy to be in the Tiffin family. The coach and Tiffin have been very good to us. Welcome again!!!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #3

Being in Florida, I have no intention to travel 800 miles for service. I assume you are probably close to Red Bay. I would assume a local Tiffin Dealer would provide warranty service. My current RV (name withheld to temporarily protect the guilty) has had over 60 warranty issues and I am capable so I solved/did >55 myself, some with manufacturer supplied parts, but no comp on my labor. I also did 50+ upgrades myself.

So hopefully, only a few items vs a massive quality nightmare. I will certainly do a 3 day PDI now that I know what items may be #%$^& that no normal person would think to have to check for. Items like making sure everything is actually installed (like the table), cabinet doors not falling off, and the headlights are actually working and not pointing at the ground or stars. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to Irv2. Great forum for info. Tiffins are well designed and well made. They use real wood in the cabinetry no press board. They do have problems with service mainly because their dealer network isn't the greatest. All new coaches have manufacturing defects. You will need to either get dealer warranty service or go to Red Bay for service. Red Bay is getting overwhelmed. I repair 99% of the problems that occur. It took me over a year to get all the bugs our of my 36LA now I go on trips worry free and return home needing no repairs.
I have read that the shorter coaches have handling problems and need sumo springs, bigger torsion bars, and stfe t steer after market items to correct the problem. These are a option from Tiffin and are reasonable if you can't install the stuff yourself.
Tiffin Warranty is the greatest in the industry! If doing your own maintenance they will send you parts at no charge and they will double the warranty on any vendor supplied items. You can't go wrong with a Tiffin.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleg33 View Post
Being in Florida, I have no intention to travel 800 miles for service. I assume you are probably close to Red Bay.
While I am not close to Red Bay, you will not get any argument from me on that statement. However, I have yet to find a dealer between here in the DC area and the 808 one-way miles to Red Bay who I would trust to work on the house portion of our coach. Mike's statement about Tiffin's warranty is spot on, and they are also known to sometimes eat the cost on out of warranty repairs as well, depending on the problem. Tiffin makes a very nice motorhome, I just didn't want you to think it would be a totally problem free purchase... although that can happen.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:18 AM   #6

might take a winter vacation to Florida and look for a used Motorhome, lots of older people get rid of them down there. Dave
Old 12-12-2017, 06:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
might take a winter vacation to Florida and look for a used Motorhome, lots of older people get rid of them down there. Dave
? Not sure how this answers my original post starting this thread/question.

A thank you to those that have replied and provided input.

After reviewing this forum's thread subjects, it seems that Tiffin RVs appear to have some of the same lack of quality issues that the entire industry has - Unfortunately, this was my expectation based on talking to owners in person over the last year. However, it seems to be less dare I say slightly better.

So, from what I have experienced, observed, and my attention to detail (military background), I will be armed and put my professional knowledge together with my lessons learned about the industry and do an extensive 3 day PDI before handing over payment and accepting delivery. I now know what to look for that previously was unheard of to even consider would be defective. If the selling dealer is not ready for this, I will gladly remove my $ from his profit stream. Bullying stops here!

"still looking far any information. On a good note (way I like to leave), If this comes to fruition, I will gladly be a helpful resource to all as asked and post replier when I can add something to the discussion. As an example, I (personally) have made (upgraded) my current RV 100% off-grid capable as all of the locations I have been to in my short time RVing have had NO water, sewer, or electricity! Some have had a dump station upon leaving so I can remove waste and refill water, but I have no problem being without 120Vac connections. That option is never available. Before you ask, YES, I do run my air conditioning on the batteries (with an inverter) all the time! I probably have the greenest RV possible. I am always asked by people, why is your RV so quiet. I never hear a generator running. More details if I become a fellow Tiffin owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bb.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	185485   Click image for larger version

Name:	solar.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	185486  

Old 12-12-2017, 06:46 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
tiffin purchase 31ma

I have to take issue that the smaller Tiffins have handling problems. I have a 2017 32SA for a year almost 8,000 miles. No sway at all at speeds when tractor trailers pass by. holds solid on all kinds of roads. Bad roads are bumpy. Just keep proper air in tires and a good alignment and you are good to go.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce bus View Post
I have to take issue that the smaller Tiffins have handling problems. I have a 2017 32SA for a year almost 8,000 miles. No sway at all at speeds when tractor trailers pass by. holds solid on all kinds of roads. Bad roads are bumpy. Just keep proper air in tires and a good alignment and you are good to go.
I agree with that too. As part of my upgrades, I installed Sumos on all 4 wheels, rear stabilizer, and Safe T Plus on the front to not drive like Art Carney - LOL.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:12 AM   #10

2015 Breeze with no driving issues.
Major repair completed for free under warrante by International dealer to replace fuel pump following 3800 mile trip this Thanksgiving.
Very happy with coach, but interior build quality could be a little higher.
This model switched from MaxxForce (ours, bad reputation confirmed by mechanics) to Cummins in a recent year.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanpearl View Post
2015 Breeze with no driving issues.
Major repair completed for free under warrante by International dealer to replace fuel pump following 3800 mile trip this Thanksgiving.
This model switched from MaxxForce (ours, bad reputation confirmed by mechanics) to Cummins in a recent year.

The MF7 engine in your coach isn’t one of the “bad rep” engines. The bigger MaxxForce engine had some issues due to their reliance on EGR to meet the 2010 emissions requirements.

Your MF7 is very common in school bus service and many other local & regional pick up and delivery vehicles.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanpearl View Post
What are you referring to regarding the interior?
Old 12-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #13

Retail Price

As I just saw another thread regarding pricing on a different Tiffin model, the rumors are all over the place from 45% to 25 % off of List.

Does anyone know a realistic discount from list to get a decent retail price to prevent overpaying compared to most? FYI, I have a MSRP sheet for the 31MA.

Are Tiffins any different than the large company production brands Like (hold your stomachs) Forest River, Thor, ... Those can be had for 35% without much negotiating. I had one Tiffin dealer tell me a 15% discount was fabulous - LOL.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #14

Discounts will vary based on the dealer. There are four major dealers who offer comparable (27%-29%) discounts of of MSRP, which is usually the maximum you can expect off of a new Tiffin. Anybody tells you they got 45% off a new Tiifin had their price inflated before buying.

The dealers are Kings Campers in WI, Marlin Ingram in AL, Sherman in MS and Davis in TN. As to a 3 day PDI, I have never heard of that and you may end up not buying any RV with that expectation, but you can ask. That being said, the above will certainly allow you plenty of time for their PDI to be worth your time, and will certainly offer you overnight stay if things aren’t covered in one day.
Closed Thread

Tags
purchase