Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #1

Cracks in front and rear fiberglass caps

We have a 2006 Allegro and after about 6 months the front around the headlights started cracking; the dealer repaired (you can still see where they made the repairs) under warranty, now cracks are appearing on the rear cap around one brake light and at the corner near the top, is anyone else having this problem?
nicholl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your time here. Sorry for the problem you're having but someone here may have an answer to help you along and get it resolved. Enjoy all your travels, be safe and Happy Motoring!!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
From what I've seen here and on other forums it's not uncommon on the Tiffins
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
From what I've seen here and on other forums it's not uncommon on the Tiffins
That's not a fair generalization of fiberglass cracks on Tiffin motor homes. There have been roof rail cracks on certain year Tiffin Phaeton and Allegro Bus coaches, but not so on the Allegro Open Road model and especially around the headlights and tail lights

I would suggest calling the factory. The factory warranty on the coach body may be long enough to include your model year. Also, check the Tiffinrvnetwork forum for assistance. There are lots of folks over there with lots of experience with cracks and other issues as well as resolutions to their problems.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Actually, from the number of complaints and postings about it, it is a fair statement.

Here's one thread on it

Here's another
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #6

I hope this isn't considered trolling :-)

From the two links above,
Allegro Bay Fiberglass Roof Question
>>I didn't see anything that points to a systemic issue on the Tiffins.
>>Four owners, one of which had cracks on the roof radius.

2009 Tiffin Phaeton leaking roof
Op has an unknown leak on top of the coach.
>>One owner had leaks from on top, a loose screw and bad caulking/sealant were found to be root causes.
>>Another had leaks from the marker lights.I think the potential for fiberglass cracking on the radii is well documented. However, I don't think that applies to the headlights/tail lights the OP is asking about.

Mr D- Did I miss something?
Davensocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Talking

I don't think it's trolling. I missed his point as well.
Tiffin has well documented issues with roof caps and wet bays on some of their higher end coaches.
I've not heard of one until today with cracks on the front or rear caps as being a major issue across the board. And I read a lot....so I know I haven't missed too much.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2006 Allegro Open Road 35 TSA and haven't had any problems with cracking fiberglass.

Check out the Tiffin RV Network and do a search and I don't believe you will find anybody else with the problems you have described.

TiffinRVNetwork

Did you buy your's new or used?

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:24 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
My 04 Allegro Open Road has been all over the country. Has been operated on some of the roughest roads and interstates there is, and we've driving the Alaska Highway both ways. No cracks on the front or rear cap, roof rail, or anyplace else. Dry wet bay too!

Just sayin'
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #10

use to build sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholl12 View Post
We have a 2006 Allegro and after about 6 months the front around the headlights started cracking; the dealer repaired (you can still see where they made the repairs) under warranty, now cracks are appearing on the rear cap around one brake light and at the corner near the top, is anyone else having this problem?
The only way to fix that from happening is from the back with the fiberglass cloth,matt and (rowven woven looks like silk)If they dont warranty it take out the headlights then I would ruff up the fiberglass on the back get it semi flat watching out for glass strings already hanging cut and smooth those first they wil come back to bite you later if you dont.mix some resin and MEK just like your getting ready to do some body work ,with a cheap paint brush ,brush a layer of resin on the area youll be repairing then just add fiber glass oz. and a half matt should be fine. after its all thick finish with a layer of cloth. if the area is big enough at this point all you need to do is cover it with Clear sandwich wrap it does two things it hardens it faster and you can smooth the glass without getting it all over the place make sure to have NO air bubble in your resin matt mix that will tend to be weak . If you need to do glass near the mounting holes of the headlight just tape them over. do not get Resin in them .hope this helps
LonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi nicholl12, welcome to the forum. If you would give a location we might be better able to advise you where to take the rig for proper repair. If you're doing it yourself, LonBoy above seems to give good information though personally I have no idea what he's talking about.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #12

Hi historyljc, I live in the Houston, TX area.
nicholl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #13

had this problem on my beaver. The problem on my coach was that the chopped fiber was not rolled out very well into the inside corners of the mold. As a result there are areas where there's little strength behind the gel-coat.

Added layers on the backside as described in a previous post. cloth or roving is much stronger than chopped mat. Make sure you have braces from the frame extending to the cap or it will flex inward with the aero load and crack some more.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #14

Very good inst. on doing Fiberglass repair.Taught Plastics for 27 ,couldn't have done a better job .
GGallo2005END
geo gallo is offline   Reply With Quote