RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cranking and running problem ''94 Allegro Bus

I'm going to throw this out there and see if anyone has suggestions.

I bought a newer, larger motorhome a few months ago and I need to sell my old one. I'm having a problem with the old one.

We're talking about a 1994 Tiffin Allegro Bus diesel pusher with the B-5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel (mechanical engine) and it has had problems starting for years. What happens about 1/2 of the time is when I turn the key to the on position the dash lights up like it's ready to go BUT when I turn it to the start position I get nothing. Lights on the dash go out and there is no power to the starter. I hit the starter again and it might crank and run or it might take another 5 - 10 tries before the starter will engage and it will run fine, until the next shut down and restart. Next time it might engage on the first try or I might have to turn the key to the start position another few times. It always cranked up and like I said, this has been going on for a few years. It's never been a big problem until today.

I went out to start it and as usual, the starter wouldn't engage. I hit it another half dozen times and it finally started BUT as soon as I released the key, it would die. It's never done this before and it previously always stayed running. I tried it several more times and each time it will crank and runs fine as long as I've got the key in the start position but as soon as I release the key back to the run position it dies. Just FYI, I don't leave the key in the start position more than a couple or three seconds after it starts as I know that is not good.

I've got a couple of ideas but don't want to taint the thoughts of anyone that might have some ideas. I almost positive it's not fuel pump related as it doesn't die like a fuel starvation problem. Any help will be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Ignition switch?

Old 12-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Cranking and running problem ''94 Allegro Bus

I suspect you may have two problems. The no crank problem could be a bad spot in the starter or a start solenoid. When this happens, try tapping on the starter with a hammer. If it turns over after a few light taps, you probably have a starter that needs to be rebuilt or replaced. The second problem may be the fuel cutoff solenoid. If yours is like mine (8.3 mechanical), it has three modes. Closed, open when starting, and run mode. If you examine your solenoid, you may see that it has three wires, ground, start, and run. You can bypass all this by manually holding the solenoid in the open position with a piece of wire and then try to start it. If it starts and runs, you have either a failed solenoid or the voltage to pull and hold this solenoid in the run mode is missing. You can check the voltage and a good path to ground at the connector to see if you have the required voltage in the appropriate mode. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-11-2016, 07:51 PM   #4

Sounds like a ground problem.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:10 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My solenoid is a 3 pole. I know the two large terminals are the positive battery terminals and one small wire goes to the ignition. I'm not sure if it goes to the ignition switch located in the steering column or does it go to the key switch? I replaced this one last year but it still does the same thing.

I'm thinking the problem may be in the keyed switch. It's not a starter or battery problem and I have eliminated those.

I'm not getting power through that small wire when it won't do anything. I originally thought I could jump the solenoid and start the engine. AND I could have up until this time. Now I can crank the engine like that but it is like the key is in the OFF position and won't allow it to run. It's a bad wire somewhere along the way or a switch somewhere is bad.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #6

First test battery's then go to other steps
richndonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richndonna View Post
First test battery's then go to other steps

Thanks but as I previously stated; I've already eliminated the battery and starter. I'm trying to figure out where all that small wire goes (ignition switch or key switch).
Old 12-13-2016, 04:54 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
There is no "key switch" just the ignition switch. The key or lock cylinder rotates and pushes a rod that slips in the ignition switch. The switch is adjustable, are you sure that you adjusted it properly?
Old 12-13-2016, 07:31 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TNTRacing View Post
There is no "key switch" just the ignition switch. The key or lock cylinder rotates and pushes a rod that slips in the ignition switch. The switch is adjustable, are you sure that you adjusted it properly?

I just replaced it. I didn't know there was an adjustment. I'll pull the bottom of the column and check that out. Hopefully that will be all that's needed.

Thanks for the info.