RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2019, 07:17 AM   #1

Craziest Repair So Far?

Whatís been the craziest repair you had to make to your coach to date? The one that stands out above the rest and left you scratching your head as to how it could have happened/left the factory like that.

Usachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Two stand out.
When Coachmen built our RV they routed the low pressure AC line right up against the sharp side of the radiator. I am surprised it took fifteen years to rub through and let the fluid out.

The other is that Coachmen used a curved bottom rail at the bottom of the side panels. It was designed so that it would trap and hold water against the bottom of the panels letting the porous luan layers wick it up and delaminate all around the RV up to about waist height. It took me weeks to repair it using a dense foam and backing boards.

33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
When we bought our Thor Hurricane they didn’t attach the plumbing to the kitchen sink. We found out on our first trip when we had a waterfall coming from under our slide out. We should have known what we were in for from that moment with Thor.
Hey_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:14 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler MH.
Sudden loss of power max speed 40mph.

Pulled over replaced gas filter no change problem was intermittent but happening more frequent. Found a decent place to pull over and found 1/2 of throttle body not providing fuel caused by a wire loom rubbing against fan belt peeling back covering found one wire cut several chaffed cut wire was to throttle body. Spliced and continued on 180 miles to home no more problems.

Problem was solved over 40 miles stopping and starting troubleshooting until problem located. Probably 2 hours total.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:43 PM   #5

2018 Jayco Seneca. Picked up and drove home, went to sanitize the fresh water tank only to find that they didnít put in a fresh water drain valve. While adding a heat duct to the wet bay, I discovered bare wires twisted together....these were the solar prep wires....inches from a metallic foil duct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	772C3CFE-45C9-40A1-83ED-8A600B882A96.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	480.2 KB
ID:	246702  
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:00 AM   #6

Thor Vegas

This is over a 6 month period. Bought a new Thor Vegas.
1. Driving the unit home I was hanging onto the steering wheel because i was leaning hard right in the drivers seat, my wife hard left. Had to put 8 fender washers under my seat to level it and 7 under hers.

2. Hit rain when we was just about home (About 300 miles from dealer) and water started pouring in from the right clearance light, Had to remove it and no chalk. I fixed that.

3. At lake Erie fishing and the front drop down bunk quit in the down position. Could not drive it with it down. Called Thor and they have no diagrams of electrical on any of their units. Tore it apart and put it in the back of the coach.

4 Raining again and noticed water running across the floor. Leaking in around the hot water tank door. Chalked that.

5 To cut this short had 4 more major leaks.

6 Walked on floor in front of bathroom and the only thing that held me up was the vinyl on the floor.

7 Started smelling mold so at that point the unit accidentally caught fire and I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER THOR PRODUCT. Sick at heart every time I looked at the unit.

8. Just ordered a new Tiffin Open Road. Talked to Bob Tiffin and explained my past experience and he gave me his cell number and assured me that i would not have any problems with my new unit, and if I should I'm to call him personally.
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
8. Just ordered a new Tiffin Open Road. Talked to Bob Tiffin and explained my past experience and he gave me his cell number and assured me that i would not have any problems with my new unit, and if I should I'm to call him personally.
And he sincerely meant it too. He is one of the nicest, most gracious people you could ever meet and will talk to anyone who calls him. I have never encountered any other person in his type of position that was so open and welcoming. He nor I can not guarantee you won't have any problems with a new complicated piece of machinery, but he and the company will stand behind it.

'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair