Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Cummins 450 HP Cold Start feature

This will be the first time I needed to start my Cummins Engine after a week of sub freezing weather. Its in the 40s now. How do I use that Aqua Hot Cold start feature on my 2016 Bus. Thanks. Dennis
DennisJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Not 100% sure how to use your Aquahot to preheat the engine other than make sure the Aquahot is on and flip the switch for engine preheat. You also have an electric block heater that you can use as well.

However, you don't need to use any of that until you get into some really cold weather. You engine will start just fine without preheating down to about 0 degrees.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:19 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
My 2016 Bus doesn't have an electric block heater. My panel close to the bedroom has a engine heat button I think under the Aquahot buttons (not at home right now or I'd look). Never had to use it in Florida, but I was told to just turn on the aquahot and the press the engine preheat button and it would circulate through the engine to preheat.

I imagine in much the same way that you get hot water after running the engine from natural circulation. I believe the engine preheat button only activates the pump inside the aquahot. If yours is a 450-DE like mine then you have three pumps in there. One for the back zone heat, one for the forward zone heat, and one for the engine preheat.
skeet4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:29 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
While your engine can and will start in freezing temps, diesels do NOT like cold and will appreciate your use of the pre-heat (I will use our block heater for anything below 60 after anything overnight or longer). If you are hooked up to 50 amps, you can use the block heater switch on the dash if you have one. If not, correct, you can use the engine heat button on your Spyder panel when the AquaHot is in use. I turn our engine heat on just before going to bed for any morning departure.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:24 PM   #5

I don't know where so many people think diesel engines are afraid of the cold or think they need to be pampered when the temp drops below 32* or in one case 60*. I can't tell you how many thousands of times I or my employees have started a diesel engine in below freezing temperatures without any heating aid. THe trucks weren't always where they could be plugged in. The newer engines are even better than the ones of 40-50 years ago. The farm tractors of the 60's and 70's even had an either can attached for when the temps were down to zero. If the batteries were fully charged they would start. We never had an engine failure or any noticeable premature bearing wear related to cold starts. Once started, we would let them warm enough till the temp gauge started to move before shifting into gear. A well tuned diesel and injection system along with a good battery bank is all that is needed to start it in cold weather. Yes, a warm engine starts easier than a cold one, but I wouldn't wait the two to three hours to warm it up before hitting the starter.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins