Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
owr

Tiffin Owners Club
Cycle lift on phateon ?

[Hi folks

Has anyone installed a cycle lift on their phateon ? I was considering it but the manual say it's not really recommended

Any input would be helpful ...

Thanks
owr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2017, 07:21 PM   #2

I have seen that I believe, 3 times,with a pass through 10K hitch. Raises up to let the hitch pick up the toad.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by owr View Post
[Hi folks
Has anyone installed a cycle lift on their phateon ? I was considering it but the manual say it's not really recommended
Any input would be helpful ...
Thanks
A lift is not recommended on any motor home without a tag axle. You can easily overload the rear axle and make the front end too light with the weight of the lift and bike.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:10 PM   #4

When the frame is tied with 6 inch pipe, instead of 6 inch "L" steel, then come talk to me. Bobcat and GM have learned this to a certain extent.

If one can not twist a 6 inch pipe, one can not twist a frame.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
When the frame is tied with 6 inch pipe, instead of 6 inch "L" steel, then come talk to me. Bobcat and GM have learned this to a certain extent.

If one can not twist a 6 inch pipe, one can not twist a frame.

I believe Lt Dan said "axle", not "frame".
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
A lift is not recommended on any motor home without a tag axle. You can easily overload the rear axle and make the front end too light with the weight of the lift and bike.
I do apologize Lt Dan for the frosty response, I seemed to run right off the rails there instead of doing the math.

Let go back to basics, I would weigh the coach, run those numbers past stock sticker. Then install one of those little carriers in the hitch, load it up with a 1000 pounds. Then take it back to the scales again & see what the numbers show us.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #7

On my 2003 40' Phaeton, I had a cycle carrier. It was a fixed unit made by Blue Ox with a ramp to roll the bike up from the passenger side. I added a removable winch to the drivers side that my wife would run while I balanced the 1000# bike into position. I then built an extension to the receiver to tow a Chrysler mini-van. I had my brother-in-law do the math with the stress on the frame extension before I attempted it. The result was a good riding and handling coach, however, the rear tires were at their limit. I contacted Bob Tiffin with my problem and suggested that on 2004, they started installing the larger 275/80 R22.5 tires and would he help me out. He agreed to pay for 50% of the cost for six new 275 tires at the place of my choice. After that we went all over carrying the bike and towing the van, till we tired of taking it along. I still have the carrier, ramp and winch, but no longer have a motorcycle.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote