Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2019, 07:39 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Dangerous generator wiring issue on 2018 Phaeton 40IH

The coach is at the dealer now to get a dozen small items fixed that we found since we've owned it, so it'll be a bit before I get back to it. One is major though & could've been a disaster. I don't know what it'll entail to fix. The conduit that contains the wires that run to the left side of the generator has been compromised, I think from a pinch point when the drawer is closed. It's crushed & split open , although the wires inside are still fine. No marks on them at all so the conduit saved them.

In talking to the tech, he's going to call Tiffin & see what can be done & if they'll cover it since it appears to be a manufacturing issue. The metal elbow that's mounted to the side of the generator case where the plastic conduit attaches probably has to be rotated to move the wires & that conduit out of the way of the pinch point. The conduit will also probably have to be replaced & that means figuring out where it goes through the chassis to the transfer case, unfastening it from all the zip ties, pulling it out & fishing new conduit back through...probably 38ft worth of conduit.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinchpoint2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	256232  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 10:28 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Lori, I noticed the same thing on our generator when it was new. The conduit seemed to be getting pinched because the bend was too great. It was zip tied in one place keeping it from moving freely. I removed the zip tie and it has been fine ever since. Since that is standard flex conduit, the dealer may be able to cut it back past the break and install a new conduit section with a connector.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:44 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thank you, Dan. I'll pass that info along to the dealer tech.

Lori-
Old 07-31-2019, 08:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
The coach is at the dealer now to get a dozen small items fixed that we found since we've owned it, so it'll be a bit before I get back to it. One is major though & could've been a disaster. I don't know what it'll entail to fix. The conduit that contains the wires that run to the left side of the generator has been compromised, I think from a pinch point when the drawer is closed. It's crushed & split open , although the wires inside are still fine. No marks on them at all so the conduit saved them.

In talking to the tech, he's going to call Tiffin & see what can be done & if they'll cover it since it appears to be a manufacturing issue. The metal elbow that's mounted to the side of the generator case where the plastic conduit attaches probably has to be rotated to move the wires & that conduit out of the way of the pinch point. The conduit will also probably have to be replaced & that means figuring out where it goes through the chassis to the transfer case, unfastening it from all the zip ties, pulling it out & fishing new conduit back through...probably 38ft worth of conduit.

Lori-
The entire conduit doesn't need to be replaced. This is a common problem and if your shop can't figure out the fix, without replacing the entire pipe, you need to find another shop. I repaired my current coach, as well as my previous one, for the same issue. Total time to do it myself was well under one hour.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Our dealer did just what you said, Ernieh & Dan. They replaced the bad section, turned the elbot & moved the conduit out of the way of the pinch point. Attached are photos of the repair. I haven't seen it in person yet, the photos are from my service manager.

The service manager originally submitted the repair to Tiffin to see if they would cover it. They denied it.

I wrote the service department (& CC'd Bob Tiffin) a nice email explaining that since this was a documented issue on both iRV2 & TRVN forums & that it, what I considered, could be a catastrophic failure that could lead to damage to the generator, systems being shorted, fire or even loss of life. OK, maybe a bit dramatic in that last part, but that's what I felt.

Within a few hours, I received a response from Tiffin service stating they would reimburse me for the repair if I just send them the bill & where to send the check.

In my opinion, Tiffin is tops as far as taking care of the people who own their product. I'm not the original owner nor is the coach within warranty, yet they agreed to my request to cover this fix.

Now I know why I chose a Tiffin product over any other.

THANKS TIFFIN!

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wiring reroute.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	256228   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring reroute2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	256229  

Old 08-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #6

Well, it looks like they eliminated the pinch, but it's hard to tell from the photo what is going to happen when the generator is stowed. That's when the conduit is being strained.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the info. Will have to check mine asap.
RTC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Well it looks like I am also a lucky winner. The conduit seems to be a little brittle as well. Maybe there is some other more flexible conduit/loom that would be better suited for this situation. I will add this to the list of things to get done this weekend.

Thanks for the post..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190809_151856 square.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	339.5 KB
ID:	256351   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190809_151849 square.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	256352  

BoeingSWTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You're welcome. That's why iRV2 is around. Members alerting & helping others.

Lori-
Old 08-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I forwarded my dealer's service invoice to Tiffin Service. Rec'd a reply stating 2-3 wks for check processing & I should have reimbursement.

Again, a big to Tiffin Service.

Lori-

Tags
generator, wiring, phaeton